July 19, 2018, 07:32:44 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 732655 times)

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
...Some man just came in and took out my big air conditioner in the ceiling...

...No ever one tells me anything...  :cry:

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »
Due to budget cuts, and the way GEPIK/EPIK contracts are...

There is absolutely NO REASON for a school to renew you.

It's cheaper for them to let you go, and get some new person every year, who might even be willing to work for less. 

Rinse repeat.

Sorta lame. We are whored out by the Park administration now.

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2015, 01:48:17 PM »

It's cheaper for them to let you go, and get some new person every year, who might even be willing to work for less. 

Rinse repeat.

Actually, with the new contracts it should be cheaper to keep a teacher now than getting a new one.  As far as I know (I didn't renew), they eliminated the renewal bonus of 2.0.  So, if you stay with the school EPIK pays nothing.  If you leave they have to pay 1.3 to you to fly out, and 1.3 to the new teacher.  That more than makes up for the increase of 100k/month you'd get as a raise. 

HOWEVER, Korea has never been about common sense or logic, especially when it comes to power trips and foreigners.  EPIK and schools in general still prefer to get a new teacher each year.  Every year you're here, you grow smarter and less easily manipulated.  That's no good.  A higher up at EPIK/SMOE has already admitted to a bunch of us that their new policy is to seek out inexperienced newbies over finding experienced or qualified vets.  What's funny is that EPIK is upping their necessary qualifications (in-class TOESL, for example) while completely lowering the experience requirement.  They want to get a highly trained, yet completely inexperienced (both in teaching and living in Korea) professional for 2.0/month and 4 weeks of vacation. 

I've enjoyed my time with SMOE, but you'd have to be an idiot to come here on these new contracts now.  There are other jobs and other countries that offer so much more (money and/or benefits) with such better options.  Sorry, it was never about coming to Korea because this country was awesome.  It was about the ease, the pay and the vacation to better countries in the area.  EPIK has essentially eliminated all those incentives now.   People say Korea is where Japan was 15 years ago in terms of job market.  The difference is, people will actually work for peanuts to live in Japan.  The country and culture are actual draws.  No one is going to break even to live in Korea.

YoungMin

« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »

Rinse repeat.

Please show your working...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:53:51 AM by YoungMin »

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:44 PM »

Rinse repeat.

Actually, with the new contracts it should be cheaper to keep a teacher now than getting a new one.  As far as I know (I didn't renew), they eliminated the renewal bonus of 2.0.  So, if you stay with the school EPIK pays nothing.  If you leave they have to pay 1.3 to you to fly out, and 1.3 to the new teacher.  That more than makes up for the increase of 100k/month you'd get as a raise. 

HOWEVER, Korea has never been about common sense or logic, especially when it comes to power trips and foreigners.  EPIK and schools in general still prefer to get a new teacher each year.  Every year you're here, you grow smarter and less easily manipulated.  That's no good.  A higher up at EPIK/SMOE has already admitted to a bunch of us that their new policy is to seek out inexperienced newbies over finding experienced or qualified vets.  What's funny is that EPIK is upping their necessary qualifications (in-class TOESL, for example) while completely lowering the experience requirement.  They want to get a highly trained, yet completely inexperienced (both in teaching and living in Korea) professional for 2.0/month and 4 weeks of vacation. 

I've enjoyed my time with SMOE, but you'd have to be an idiot to come here on these new contracts now.  There are other jobs and other countries that offer so much more (money and/or benefits) with such better options.  Sorry, it was never about coming to Korea because this country was awesome.  It was about the ease, the pay and the vacation to better countries in the area.  EPIK has essentially eliminated all those incentives now.   People say Korea is where Japan was 15 years ago in terms of job market.  The difference is, people will actually work for peanuts to live in Japan.  The country and culture are actual draws.  No one is going to break even to live in Korea.

I think you're in the wrong thread...

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #245 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
Every year you're here, you grow smarter and less easily manipulated. 

Yep. This. Absolutely solid gold words.
Hail Caesar

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #246 on: July 15, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »

Rinse repeat.

This is brilliant.

Offline royalmilktea

• Veteran
« Reply #247 on: July 15, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »
dunno how i managed to do it, but after explaining to my two schools that i was feeling down and out lately, one of my co-teachers suggested i take a break at home. so I will be going home for the first time in 2 years for 추석, with 2 extra days off.

Sometimes, things work out here- and it carries you through the no A/C, crazy chaos that is your everyday.

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »
Every year you're here, you grow smarter and less easily manipulated. 

Yep. This. Absolutely solid gold words.

Maybe that's why it's a bit bumpy for me. Never been any good with authority, I question and defy everything. It's a little bit of actual ODD to be honest.

I started doing this thing where every day after I come home from school, I'll write "yes" or "no" on my calendar about whether I want to renew that day. I figured if I have more than 70% "yes", I'll renew.

Only reasons I really would want to is for the money and to be able to say "I lived in Korea 2 years" (saying one year sounds a bit unimpressive). Lol I have issues :undecided:

We all have issues man! :-)

I cast aside the reins of oppression the moment I was debt free haha. Strangely, it seems my school overlords have bent to my will. I didn't expect that. Perhaps, in the quiet moments of their private thoughts they appreciate a show of strength. Kinda like how I feel when my Doberman stands up to me for a bit.  :laugh:
Hail Caesar

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #249 on: July 17, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »
TGIF y'all! How's everyone's Friday going?

My school is finishing a bit early today so all of the teachers can leave on a retreat. I'm the only one wearing the 'uniform' shirt that was given to us and subsequently, feel like a idiot. On the plus side, everyone has been telling me how good it looks on me.

The down side is that wherever we're going, it's a 4 hour drive. At least they gave me a bag of snacks.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #250 on: July 17, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
I forgot it was even Friday today.

I've got piss splash on my slipper.

I'm going home to nap.... then I'm gonna drink some 순하리. and maybe eat some 삼겹살...

See ya laterz, suckers.

Have a good weekend!

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »
I just farted~~~

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
Deskwarming basically alone in the gym with no desk or computer or anything to do. Life is....something.  :blank:

Offline MartinBrez

• Veteran
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »
Ok, my co-teacher told me that all of the home room teachers and the VP are p*ssed off as parents are calling and complaining about the most trivial things everyday.

He told me that one parent was angry that a homeroom teacher yelled at her sixth grade daughter for not listening and answering back. The teacher told the angry parent that their child was not listening and was being rude. The parent got more p*ssed off and threatened to sue the school.

Jesus wept  :rolleyes:

Offline dizzl

• Veteran
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:45 AM »
Today I feel a bit overly paranoid.
After an argument with my ct late yesterday she has come in today and been constantly pounding away at her keyboard all morning.

I think I am going to be in trouble for standing up for myself. I guess I have to wait and see. I will accept my fate even if she tries to sabotage my renewal. But I am going to go down swinging.

Or she has forgotten about it and life carries on... and I am delusional. I wish I were happy delusional. I think the random cirucular cloud above my school right now might be a UFO in disguise. I hope it takes me away for a nice holiday.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »
After a solid twelve years of boozing it up several times a week, I quit drinking alcohol cold turkey in November of 2013. I still haven't figured how people manage to have alcohol-free social lives. I'll try to go out and be social, but I'm apparently just terrible at being around other people unless my inhibitions are chemically lowered.

It's frustrating, because I'll sit at home alone moping about how I wish I had more social contact, but then I'll go out to try to socialize and just come home feeling worse than I did before going out because everything just feels super awkward all evening.

How the h3ll do sober people maintain their sanity? I MUST KNOW THEIR SECRETS.

have you tried joining some hobby or activity groups on meetup.com? there's a lot of stuff that goes on that doesn't involve booze. hiking clubs, rock climbing, badminton, tennis, paragliding, etc.

could make some new friends that way, maybe start a new hobby if you haven't done any of those things before ^^

This! Definitely check meetup.com if you're near Seoul. If you want to have some sober fun, going out during the daytime will be your best bet. If there's no meetups near you, you can try facebook too. I know there's some travel groups on there if you ever want to tag along to a baseball game or go paragliding or something.

If that doesn't pan out though, you can always join a church?

That's just it, isn't it?
Social interactions, these days, seem to have an omnipresent alcoholic component/catalyst.
The fact that social interactions are now awkward tell you that they were not meaningful
to begin with, the veil has been lifted. So, basically you have nothing to gain from them and
they were/are a complete waste of your time.

The fact that you have nothing to do and are moping around means that your drinking simply
distracted you from realising that you don't really do anything else with your time (Hope I'm not sounding too harsh, bro).

I know it sounds corny, but explore yourself. I found my passion for music pretty late in life, you need to find something that you enjoy doing and will actively pursue.

Best of luck

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2015, 09:41:27 AM »
After a solid twelve years of boozing it up several times a week, I quit drinking alcohol cold turkey in November of 2013. I still haven't figured how people manage to have alcohol-free social lives. I'll try to go out and be social, but I'm apparently just terrible at being around other people unless my inhibitions are chemically lowered.

It's frustrating, because I'll sit at home alone moping about how I wish I had more social contact, but then I'll go out to try to socialize and just come home feeling worse than I did before going out because everything just feels super awkward all evening.

How the h3ll do sober people maintain their sanity? I MUST KNOW THEIR SECRETS.

have you tried joining some hobby or activity groups on meetup.com? there's a lot of stuff that goes on that doesn't involve booze. hiking clubs, rock climbing, badminton, tennis, paragliding, etc.

could make some new friends that way, maybe start a new hobby if you haven't done any of those things before ^^

This! Definitely check meetup.com if you're near Seoul. If you want to have some sober fun, going out during the daytime will be your best bet. If there's no meetups near you, you can try facebook too. I know there's some travel groups on there if you ever want to tag along to a baseball game or go paragliding or something.

If that doesn't pan out though, you can always join a church?

Social interactions, these days, seem to have an omnipresent alcoholic component/catalyst.
The fact that social interactions are now awkward tell you that they were not meaningful
to begin with, the veil has been lifted. So, basically you have nothing to gain from them and

The fact that you have nothing to do and are moping around means that your drinking simply
distracted you from realising that you don't really do anything else with your time (Hope I'm not sounding too harsh, bro).

I know it sounds corny, but explore yourself. I found my passion for music pretty late in life, you need to find something that you enjoy doing and will actively pursue.

Best of luck
I have taken up makgeolli making so I can make my own Awkwardness Avoiding Substance™

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
I spent the past week twiddling my thumbs and working on 3 prezis and 1 ppt for summer camp. I even felt guilty at points for wasting so much time.
Then today, my co teacher came back from her bit of vacay and told me I had done such an amazing job on preparing for the summer camp and that she feels guilty.
I guess procrastinating and half assing can pay off...  :undecided:

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2015, 11:37:57 AM »

Best of luck

Music is how I'm trying to do it, though it's slow going. I've played in bands off and on for the better part of the last 18 years, but I didn't really try to do anything with it in Korea until I stopped drinking. Since quitting, I've played in two different bands, and actually just started doing session work for another band last night to prepare for an upcoming gig with them. It's rough trying to get a foothold in a scene where I don't really speak the language well enough to communicate effectively, but it's slowly opening doors for me.

Of course, the gigs are all at bars or clubs and everyone wants to stick around and drink afterwards, soooo....   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
Woke up and found that Lou Lamoriello had been hired as the next Leafs G.M. Blew my mind! Payed bills, bought Yen for my J-land trip and came in to school, even though it's a day off, to finish up last minute things for next Monday. First day of camp.

Was that pointless enough? Hope so.

Have a good summer all!