January 20, 2018, 06:57:13 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 467124 times)

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2015, 08:49:44 AM »
Why must I say hello to EVERY STUDENT individually? Why can't I just say hi to everyone as a group and have nobody get offended. "Teachaa! Me too Hello!"

Also, why don't the teachers at my school carpool, and ask me if I'd like to as well? Two of my schools are in the countryside and most of the teachers drive here from town. Its a 40 min bus ride. Now in the morning I don't mind to much. But some days Id love a drive into town rather than waiting for the bus in the rain. But even my co teachers just drive by and wave... :sad:

Just an opinion, and it definitely sucks they don't ask you if you want a ride, but have you thought about asking them?  :P
Open your mind.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »
Students finished their final English exam yesterday, now I get to listen to any combination of the following questions for the next two weeks:  Teacher, are we going to study today?  Can we play games today?  Are we watching a movie?  Why do we still have to study?  Yippee.

Offline Falling_Sky

• Super Waygook
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »
What do you guys normally do after the exams are finished?

Offline Dixie Wolf

• Adventurer
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
Why must I say hello to EVERY STUDENT individually? Why can't I just say hi to everyone as a group and have nobody get offended. "Teachaa! Me too Hello!"

Haha, this.
Plus i have to ask each student individually 'how are you' or they get upset. and sometimes some of them like to answer twice.
'Teacha I'm happy'
me: great!
after i've worked my way around a class of 30 3rd graders the same kid sticks up their hand..
'Teacha I'm happy and hungry'

then all the others will decide they have a new emotion to express too, it makes asking how they are a 15 minute activity haha.
I'm not complaining though, it's actually really sweet, just very time consuming!

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2015, 10:27:49 AM »

Also, why don't the teachers at my school carpool, and ask me if I'd like to as well? Two of my schools are in the countryside and most of the teachers drive here from town. Its a 40 min bus ride. Now in the morning I don't mind to much. But some days Id love a drive into town rather than waiting for the bus in the rain. But even my co teachers just drive by and wave... :sad:

Just an opinion, and it definitely sucks they don't ask you if you want a ride, but have you thought about asking them?  :P
I didn't wanna seem rude? Maybe they have things to do after school that I don't know about... But like yesterday it was pouring rain and my co teacher who I'm on good terms with, as I am with all, just drove by and waved.  Just 'cause I brought my umbrella, doesnt mean I like walking in the pouring rain...is it okay do ask or is it rude?

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
I can't wait to get on the Soju train and drink my week away...

Friday nights - you are a island of calm in a sea of stress.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

The teachers drive past me when I'm walking the mile or so from the bus stop to the school. Never once have I been offered a lift rain or shine. I guess I must smell or something.

It goes both ways. Despite having arrived at school on time by bus, for the past six months, my CT (who has just found that I take the bus to school), has whipped the entire school (staff, VP, principal, lunch ladies and even the freakin' students) into a frenzy of finding me a lift. I've asked her not to bother, since I enjoy the brief 10min bus ride and staring out the window at the pretty countryside. Bless her kind heart, but she can't seem to get it into her head that a grown man can find his way to school without assistance.

At the end of class, I leave to teach at another school. She insists on waiting with me at the bus stop, to make sure I take the right bus, and ask that I text her once I arrive to make sure there's no problem.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
Every time I have to poop, the cleaning lady is in the bathroom. EVERY TIME.

I even snuck into the first floor bathroom, which I'm not allowed to use, and you know what? There she was with her radio, not thirty seconds after I had closed the stall door.

ARGH!

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
I was once given a lift by one of the young female teachers at my school but her car contained many mini Jesus statues and other Christian iconography. It was a little off putting to say the least.

Anyway, its best not to ride with your teachers, you will only have to make awkward conversation.

Offline Timo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »
I have a completely irrational hatred of when people do this (the one on the right of the picture):

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »
Why will my school not turn the air con on?  It's a hot day in July. :-[

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »

I even snuck into the first floor bathroom, which I'm not allowed to use, and you know what? There she was with her radio, not thirty seconds after I had closed the stall door.

ARGH!

You are not allowed to use a bathroom in your school? What is the reason they gave you? Seems strange

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2015, 12:20:50 PM »
Finished the last of my speaking tests today, BOOYAH.

Today's lunch kind of sucked though and now I have nothing to do until the end of the day except be hungry. Going to get some delicious shabu shabu later, but that seems impossibly far from now.

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »
Co-teacher bemused as to why I am llistening to amazing grace while laughing.

http://www.lamebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/amazing.jpg

3 hours to go

Offline Mashley30

• Super Waygook
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2015, 12:37:02 PM »
my boiler was leaking last night and this morning, didn't sleep much, went into work late, my coworker helped call someone up, all fixed now. i reeeally like my school tbh.

Offline tikleme_elmo

• Veteran
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
I have a completely irrational hatred of when people do this (the one on the right of the picture):

I have heard this before but never understood why one is better than the other. I am perplexed as to the benefits of an outward facing sheet versus an inward one... Please enlighten me

EDIT: Reminds me of my hatred for toothpaste anarchists:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:10:21 PM by tikleme_elmo »

Offline The 13th Earl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
There's an Ediya coffee shop opened under my building and the past three days a guy dressed in a clown suit has been bothering me with flyers while speaking in a stupid voice.

If he's there on Monday, he's going down.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »

ARGH!

You are not allowed to use a bathroom in your school? What is the reason they gave you? Seems strange

I made the mistake of using the bathroom when there was a Korean teacher in another stall. She was most upset. How DARE I? So I am only allowed to use one bathroom in the school, the one nearest my classroom.

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2015, 01:13:45 PM »

I have heard this before but never understood why one is better than the other. I am perplexed as to the benefits of an facing sheet versus an inward one... Please enlighten me
It's simple, really.  The right way (green) causes the next free sheet to hang from the roll away from the wall (by the width of the roll itself).  This makes it extremely easy to put your hand behind it and pull the paper.

The wrong way (red) on the other hand (and it is wrong, this is not subjective, it is a fact) causes the free sheet to be against the wall.  It's further away (by the width of the roll) and you have to paw at it and get hold of the the free end before you can pull.

If you have never considered this before then I am very surprised.  I suppose it is possible that you have led a charmed life and, despite random chance, every toilet you have ever used has happened to have the roll installed the Right Way.