May 25, 2018, 06:55:38 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 655367 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1900 on: November 04, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
Anyone ever have to sit in on their own evaluation and then have none of it translated? Feeling stupid and crappy.

Lol, yes. Every time. It's lame.

Thanks for the reassurance, fellow sugar-hater.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1901 on: November 06, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »
Worst clash of clans Clan name ever:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1902 on: November 07, 2016, 08:42:13 AM »
Made mac 'n cheese last night, sauce from scratch. Was pretty great  8)

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1903 on: November 07, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »

Could you share the recipe that you used? There are a ton online, but I just don't want to waste all that cheese from something that is mediocre.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1904 on: November 07, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »

I'm drooling right now. I was planning on making it sometime this week and I am so looking forward to it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1905 on: November 07, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »

Could you share the recipe that you used? There are a ton online, but I just don't want to waste all that cheese from something that is mediocre.

I used this but halved everything since I didn't want a huge portion and didn't want to waste cheese if it didn't turn out well: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238691/simple-macaroni-and-cheese/

I didn't have cheddar cheese but colby jack sufficed-- milder cheesy flavor. I might play with throwing in some pepper jack next time.

Also added garlic powder to taste. I am all about the garlic.  8)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1906 on: November 07, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »

Making mac and cheese is super easy. Making the sauce is basically just two steps.
Step 1: Make a roux
Step 2: Add shredded cheese and, optionally, milk until you're happy with the taste and consistency

If you don't have a cheese grater or access to pre-shredded cheese, just cut into strips as thin as possible so it will melt easily and evenly.

Of course, you should always use one hard cheese and one soft/semi-soft cheese for best flavor and consistency, but hard cheese plus extra milk is also fine.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1907 on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:28 AM »

I used this but halved everything since I didn't want a huge portion and didn't want to waste cheese if it didn't turn out well: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238691/simple-macaroni-and-cheese/

I didn't have cheddar cheese but colby jack sufficed-- milder cheesy flavor. I might play with throwing in some pepper jack next time.

Also added garlic powder to taste. I am all about the garlic.  8)

Oooh I have garlic powder at home. I should do that, too. Where did you get the cheese? Last time, when I tried to make it, I could only find pizza cheese so it ended up being super stringy, which is fine, I guess, and it wasn't bad in terms of flavor, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1908 on: November 07, 2016, 10:52:58 AM »
I get blocks of cheese from Emart! And [cheese] graters can be super cheap. Def worth picking one up if you haven't got one already.  ;D

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1909 on: November 07, 2016, 10:54:09 AM »
I knew that my boyfriend had lost a good amount of weight since I left for Korea, but today I found out just how much weight.

90 pounds!!! Ahh!!! I'm happy for him but also feel grossly inadequate because I've only lost 15 pounds since coming to Korea.

It's not a terrible surprise though because his hobby is taking hikes anywhere from 2-8 hours long with 30-50 pounds of weight in his backpack. And running up 100+ flights of stairs, often with aforementioned backpack. Meanwhile all I do is swing dancing.  :cry: :cry: :lipsrsealed:

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1910 on: November 07, 2016, 11:09:11 AM »
I get blocks of cheese from Emart! And [cheese] graters can be super cheap. Def worth picking one up if you haven't got one already.  ;D

If you can find an Emart Traders instead of the normal one, it is worth it. I bought like a kilo block of pepper jack the other day for 10,000won. They also carry, feta, mozzarella, colby jack, cheddar, smoked cheeses, cottage cheese, and even sour cream. The one near me also carries a frozen lasagna that is pretty good for a no fuss bake. :)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1911 on: November 07, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »

If you can find an Emart Traders instead of the normal one, it is worth it. I bought like a kilo block of pepper jack the other day for 10,000won. They also carry, feta, mozzarella, colby jack, cheddar, smoked cheeses, cottage cheese, and even sour cream. The one near me also carries a frozen lasagna that is pretty good for a no fuss bake. :)

OMG I miss feta... Can you order online???

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1912 on: November 07, 2016, 11:22:45 AM »

Oh man I think I know the lasagna you're talking about -- is it the one with gorgonzola? So good.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1913 on: November 07, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
Those sound good. But why use garlic powder when Korean garlic is so yum? Garlic powder always tastes kind of... blah, to me.

I love both but use each for different flavor effects. Fresh minced garlic? Oh yes.

One of the best pizzas I had back home had italian sausage with fresh minced garlic. Amazing

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1914 on: November 07, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »
Yeah. I use the imported garlic powder sometimes. Honestly, if I were going to do mac and cheese from scratch, I might as well throw in some fresh minced when the butter is going.

I am honestly not sure if Emart Traders has an online order. If you let us know in which area you live, maybe we can see if there is one that isn't too far. Normal Emart should have feta, but it will be a small amount for a hefty price.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1915 on: November 07, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »
Sometimes I use both garlic powder and minced garlic in the same dish...  :shocked:

Got back to my main school today and the office was entirely dark... but I found one lone teacher. Apparently everyone else is on a field trip to Seoul for 3 days. Poor dude. I'm at travel schools M-W so he's literally all alone in the office (secretary is still in the hospital) until they return.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1916 on: November 07, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
I think it's worth it, especially if you don't have alternative plans in mind. I'm visiting home in Feb, got round trip tix for around $850. Love my rabbit. Plus SO, family, friends. And food. Glorious food

If you're able, also consider leaving via different airport. I'm going through Busan this time instead of Incheon and it's a bit cheaper. Also just happened to have shorter flight times in my case. I also checked Gimpo
I'll check the different airports; thanks for the idea. :) The food might just seal the deal for me...

Go home. It's worth it. Imagine literal personal space. Imagine warm buildings. Imagine cat. Literally. Also, we get paid enough that taking a plane home and spending a bit on vacation when we're back in wherever our respective homes are doesn't make that much of a dent.
I could play my music as loud as I want without worrying that the neighbors can hear me, my home has a wood stove and I miss that real heat, and my kitty...<3

You've just about convinced me! I'm renewing at my school so that renewal bonus would pay for my trip, so I'm trying to make myself believe it's like I'm getting a free trip but no renewal bonus. My student loans are constantly weighing on my mind, but I've never been away from home this long before. I think I probably will go home, I just have to find out the days for vacation and buy the ticket. :huh: 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #1917 on: November 07, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »
Some of the songs in the musical textbooks ARE SO BAD. There's no rhythm at all, it's like an English lesson spoken over a shitty beat.

If anyone has used the "Ready Action" series, you'll know what I'm talking about. I've used these books in two different cities so I imagine there are some of you out there. 

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1918 on: November 07, 2016, 03:32:33 PM »
Some of the songs in the musical textbooks ARE SO BAD. There's no rhythm at all, it's like an English lesson spoken over a shitty beat.

If anyone has used the "Ready Action" series, you'll know what I'm talking about. I've used these books in two different cities so I imagine there are some of you out there.
Yeah we either just listen once and keep going, or skip it entirely because the students hate them so much. It seems like the point of them is to get stuck in your head, but that's unlikely when it's just spoken like you said.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1919 on: November 07, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »

Yeah we either just listen once and keep going, or skip it entirely because the students hate them so much. It seems like the point of them is to get stuck in your head, but that's unlikely when it's just spoken like you said.

That, or there are too many syllables so it seems really forced. There are times when they'll force two or three syllables into a single beat or they'll take one beat and stretch it out to two or three, but keeping the same note, so it sounds robotic.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018