December 11, 2018, 05:47:14 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 846511 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1680 on: October 19, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
Secretary is in the hospital again. Fourth time this year.  :sad:

That's too bad. Is this the same person who broke the same ankle twice in the same year?

Yep. Turns out I was mistaken; the second time was some kind of Achilles tendon injury but she had a foot brace and crutches like when she broke her ankle so I thought it was the same thing. The third and fourth times? Achilles tendon issues. Yikes

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1681 on: October 19, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »

That's too bad. Is this the same person who broke the same ankle twice in the same year?

Yep. Turns out I was mistaken; the second time was some kind of Achilles tendon injury but she had a foot brace and crutches like when she broke her ankle so I thought it was the same thing. The third and fourth times? Achilles tendon issues. Yikes

Wow, I hope she manages to make a full recovery this time. I'm wondering if she might have to have surgery since this is a recurring issue.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1682 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »

Wow, I hope she manages to make a full recovery this time. I'm wondering if she might have to have surgery since this is a recurring issue.

I think she's had surgery twice on it already  :sad: I happened to be with her when things went to shite the second time (she was very kindly giving me a lift since I was headed to the same destination). Of course she would get stuck with the foreigner who hardly speaks Korean when an emergency happens (and she speaks about as much English as I speak Korean). She made a pit stop for something then came back to the car and her foot was just bleeding through the bandaging :huh: Fortunately a family member was able to come get her but yikes..

I suspect she might have to have surgery on it for the third time...

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1683 on: October 19, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »
I think she's had surgery twice on it already  :sad: I happened to be with her when things went to shite the second time (she was very kindly giving me a lift since I was headed to the same destination). Of course she would get stuck with the foreigner who hardly speaks Korean when an emergency happens (and she speaks about as much English as I speak Korean). She made a pit stop for something then came back to the car and her foot was just bleeding through the bandaging :huh: Fortunately a family member was able to come get her but yikes..

I suspect she might have to have surgery on it for the third time...

That's terrible. I hope it works out this time.

Also, this is completely unrelated, but I just found this and it's something you should think about.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1684 on: October 19, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
 :laugh: I would need quite the wee little figurine, for my mini drone. Ooohh I should find Pokemon miniatures and fly them around!!

YoungMin

« Reply #1685 on: October 19, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »
Experienced my first Korean stick-transmission taxi cab this morning. This is also the first Korean cab driver I've seen who actually knew how to navigate through traffic efficiently without trying to give me a stop-and-go play-by-play of The Fast and the Furious.

Coincidence?
I think about this when I drive usually.  I like driving an automatic here but it does seem quite a lazy way to drive and more like driving on Gran Turismo on the playstation, than real driving.  If people had to change up and down to stop the car from stalling when driving then maybe they would be more careful when they drive.  Or maybe Koreans would just stall the whole time.  There is also no skill in traffic light racing here  :-[

I find that if you let the impatient drivers crawl half way over the crosswalk on a red light they keep nudging it forward and forward waiting for it to turn green and then by the time it actually turns green they have their foot on the brake cos they can't see the green light cos they've crept forward too far to see the lights change and then you just gun it past them as soon as it turns green. I usually throw in a 'what a bellend' head shake as I drive by.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:34:32 PM by AgentMichaelScarn »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1686 on: October 19, 2016, 02:27:53 PM »
I should plan lessons for next week but motivation is nil.

On a different tangent, my students have taught me that the "Korean" way to play Jenga is for everyone to flick or beat on the poor soul who topples the tower.

I was taught they flick the person who toppled it over, when I toppled it over and my korean friends started flicking my arm haha.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1687 on: October 19, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
Just a rant..

Is anyone else irritated with the new education rules where all classrooms must have the kids sitting in groups? having taught here for over 6 years, I have found this to be highly unproductive, as the kids just talk to one another. (I've always had them in rows/columns, all facing the front)

I'm not aware of this rule... All of my students sit in the rows / columns and some of the homerooms at my school have their classrooms set up in the same way. Is this a regional policy?? :huh: Also, I agree that sitting in groups makes the class unproductive. I just have the kids form groups when the activity calls for it.

This^ I haven't been made aware of such rules. My students usually get into groups as my class is starting now, but other than that, they sit in rows facing the front.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1688 on: October 19, 2016, 02:58:02 PM »
My friend sent me a creepypasta link with a WA based story. Apparently every state has a scary story that you can read through, so I just spent some time reading that since my last class was randomly cancelled.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1689 on: October 19, 2016, 03:23:10 PM »
Classes are all planned for the week so I've been entertaining myself by reading about cryptids in Africa. It would be cool if they did exist, but if they do why don't we have proof yet? Though most (Western) people used to believe the gorilla was a myth until not that long ago, so even though these cryptids are usually pretty big it seems arrogant to assume we've discovered everything.

20 minutes until I'm outta here and then I'm going to try and clean out my washing machine. It's started giving my clothes a weird smell and I read about cleaning it with vinegar and baking soda so we'll see how that goes.

Offline rowdes

• Veteran
« Reply #1690 on: October 19, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
Just a rant..

Is anyone else irritated with the new education rules where all classrooms must have the kids sitting in groups? having taught here for over 6 years, I have found this to be highly unproductive, as the kids just talk to one another. (I've always had them in rows/columns, all facing the front)

I'm not aware of this rule... All of my students sit in the rows / columns and some of the homerooms at my school have their classrooms set up in the same way. Is this a regional policy?? :huh: Also, I agree that sitting in groups makes the class unproductive. I just have the kids form groups when the activity calls for it.

This^ I haven't been made aware of such rules. My students usually get into groups as my class is starting now, but other than that, they sit in rows facing the front.

sorry guys, seems like it's only being enforced in the 달서구 / 남구 area. It's been a noisy week thus far haha.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1691 on: October 20, 2016, 08:07:47 AM »
Yesterday was national earthquake training. Today they will do the same exact thing for fire...but like they should really make it a surprise to them. For that entire period the students are just waiting for it. Would be nice to see what they did if they weren't expecting it. 

YoungMin

« Reply #1692 on: October 20, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »
Experienced my first Korean stick-transmission taxi cab this morning. This is also the first Korean cab driver I've seen who actually knew how to navigate through traffic efficiently without trying to give me a stop-and-go play-by-play of The Fast and the Furious.

Coincidence?
I think about this when I drive usually.  I like driving an automatic here but it does seem quite a lazy way to drive and more like driving on Gran Turismo on the playstation, than real driving.  If people had to change up and down to stop the car from stalling when driving then maybe they would be more careful when they drive.  Or maybe Koreans would just stall the whole time.  There is also no skill in traffic light racing here  :-[

I find that if you let the impatient drivers crawl half way over the crosswalk on a red light they keep nudging it forward and forward waiting for it to turn green and then by the time it actually turns green they have their foot on the brake cos they can't see the green light cos they've crept forward too far to see the lights change and then you just gun it past them as soon as it turns green. I usually throw in a 'what a bellend' head shake as I drive by.

Sumfink like dis?

I be more like dis

One of the greatest movies of our generation. Might watch this today actually for some banter. Martin Freeman is an incredibly talented actor. Might even change my username to Tim Canterbury out of respect.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1693 on: October 20, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »
Yesterday was national earthquake training. Today they will do the same exact thing for fire...but like they should really make it a surprise to them. For that entire period the students are just waiting for it. Would be nice to see what they did if they weren't expecting it.
We didn't even know what it was at our school and no one did anything. So pointless.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1694 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:09 AM »
From grade 6 textbook
"Wow, friend's grandmother, your Hanbok is beautiful"
Grandmother replies: "Do you know about Hanbok?" (Do you know about X Korean cultural item being the focus of the grammar for this lesson)

What student says. "Yes. I know about it."

What she should have said: "I just fu**ing said hanbok, didn't I, you senile old cow?"
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1695 on: October 20, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »
Classes are all planned for the week so I've been entertaining myself by reading about cryptids in Africa. It would be cool if they did exist, but if they do why don't we have proof yet? Though most (Western) people used to believe the gorilla was a myth until not that long ago, so even though these cryptids are usually pretty big it seems arrogant to assume we've discovered everything.

20 minutes until I'm outta here and then I'm going to try and clean out my washing machine. It's started giving my clothes a weird smell and I read about cleaning it with vinegar and baking soda so we'll see how that goes.

You can also buy washing machine cleaner at Emart (which is probably just baking soda but still)!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1696 on: October 20, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
From grade 6 textbook
Grandmother replies: "Do you know about Hanbok?" (Do you know about X Korean cultural item being the focus of the grammar for this lesson)

What she should have said: "I just fu**ing said hanbok, didn't I, you senile old cow?"

My students hate that chapter cuz they think the English spelling is hideous. They keep saying it's trash spelling and it offends them so I told them how bad some Hangul translations are, we had a laugh, and went back to the annoying chapter.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1697 on: October 20, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
From grade 6 textbook

My students hate that chapter cuz they think the English spelling is hideous. They keep saying it's trash spelling and it offends them so I told them how bad some Hangul translations are, we had a laugh, and went back to the annoying chapter.
We had a similar chapter in out book, talking about yeotnori and ssireum and other korean stuff and when we got to the part of the chapter where the foreign kids act out stuff and talk, they could not stop laughing at the terrible pronunciation. Gam sa hap ni da! Bee bim bap! It was awful.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1698 on: October 20, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
From grade 6 textbook

We had a similar chapter in out book, talking about yeotnori and ssireum and other korean stuff and when we got to the part of the chapter where the foreign kids act out stuff and talk, they could not stop laughing at the terrible pronunciation. Gam sa hap ni da! Bee bim bap! It was awful.

Student: That's not how to say 한복.
Me: yeah and Overwatch doesn't sound like o-buh-wha-chee so just move on.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1699 on: October 20, 2016, 10:05:17 AM »
From grade 6 textbook

Student: That's not how to say 한복.
Me: yeah and Overwatch doesn't sound like o-buh-wha-chee so just move on.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: