December 18, 2018, 04:16:50 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 856204 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1660 on: October 18, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
It's always strange when the co-teachers pick pop songs to sing in class. Hearing a bunch of ten year olds yelling

Who cares if we're trashed, got a pocket full of cash we can blow oh oh oh,
Shots of patron,
And it's on, girl.

I imagine they go home and ask their parents what "Dancing Juice" is.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

donovan

« Reply #1661 on: October 18, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
>:( you left this bread on your desk. we don't do that
:undecided: uh I'm sorry
>:( you shouldn't leave the bread on your desk like that
:undecided: ok
>:( you need to put it in a box, because of the bugs
:undecided: where should I have gotten a box?
>:( you can put it in a box
:undecided: where can I get a box?
>:( or in a plastic bag
 >:( you shouldn't eat it because of the bugs
>:( it's up to your decision but I recommend not to eat it
>:( (continues looking at me expectantly)

You really captured the nuance of her speech! Konglish perfectly executed~

donovan

« Reply #1662 on: October 18, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »
It's always strange when the co-teachers pick pop songs to sing in class. Hearing a bunch of ten year olds yelling

Shots of patron,
And it's on, girl.

Don't be obtuse. It's about the message of the song: getting married on a reckless, drunken whim. You know, follow your heart. :undecided:

Offline rowdes

• Veteran
« Reply #1663 on: October 18, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »
Just a rant..

Is anyone else irritated with the new education rules where all classrooms must have the kids sitting in groups? having taught here for over 6 years, I have found this to be highly unproductive, as the kids just talk to one another. (I've always had them in rows/columns, all facing the front)

I'm not aware of this rule... All of my students sit in the rows / columns and some of the homerooms at my school have their classrooms set up in the same way. Is this a regional policy?? :huh: Also, I agree that sitting in groups makes the class unproductive. I just have the kids form groups when the activity calls for it.

It's in effect over in Daegu. Not sure about other regions.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1664 on: October 18, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
Just a rant..

Is anyone else irritated with the new education rules where all classrooms must have the kids sitting in groups? having taught here for over 6 years, I have found this to be highly unproductive, as the kids just talk to one another. (I've always had them in rows/columns, all facing the front)

I'm not aware of this rule... All of my students sit in the rows / columns and some of the homerooms at my school have their classrooms set up in the same way. Is this a regional policy?? :huh: Also, I agree that sitting in groups makes the class unproductive. I just have the kids form groups when the activity calls for it.

Okay, so that's why I haven't heard of it but that's a stupid policy. Some teachers like having group seating assignments and if that works for them, great, but typically, there is a reason certain teachers choose certain seating arrangements. I feel for you. :cry:

Offline bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #1665 on: October 18, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
Just a rant..

Okay, so that's why I haven't heard of it but that's a stupid policy. Some teachers like having group seating assignments and if that works for them, great, but typically, there is a reason certain teachers choose certain seating arrangements. I feel for you. :cry:

I'm in Daegu but I've never heard of this rule. :shocked: I always start my kids off in rows and columns and have them make groups later if needed, for the same reason you both mentioned.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1666 on: October 18, 2016, 12:22:48 PM »

Shots of patron,
And it's on, girl.

At my first school, there was an English singing festival. We did that song and some Maroon 5 song which also was not that great. After the students had already memorized them, my CoT decided to ask me if the songs were ok.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1667 on: October 18, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »
The seating arrangement seems to change every so often, varying from rows/columns to rows of connected desks to cluster groupings. Or at least for my travel school where I go from homeroom to homeroom. Grade 6 has been pretty consistent though as are my middle schools

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1668 on: October 18, 2016, 12:54:31 PM »

Shots of patron,
And it's on, girl.

At my first school, there was an English singing festival. We did that song and some Maroon 5 song which also was not that great. After the students had already memorized them, my CoT decided to ask me if the songs were ok.

I don't wanna play no games
You don't gotta be afraid
Don't give me all that shy shit
No make-up on
That's my

Sugar

We did this song. Oi vey.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1669 on: October 18, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
These days, I feel like yirgacheffe, moonbrie, and CO2 are the best reasons to keep coming back to Waygook.

Thanks, Mister.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1670 on: October 18, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »

Shots of patron,
And it's on, girl.

I don't wanna play no games
You don't gotta be afraid
Don't give me all that shy shit
No make-up on
That's my

Sugar

We did this song. Oi vey.

We also did both in my school. Is that weird? Why are schools are copying each other?

Anyway, to be fair, Korean kids usually have pretty innocent minds and it's usually the radio edit of the songs. :)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1671 on: October 18, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »
These days, I feel like yirgacheffe, moonbrie, and CO2 are the best reasons to keep coming back to Waygook.

Thanks, Mister.

I have some like 2.5 - 3 year old 누룩. Will it still be decent if I try to make some mack? My 찹쌀 is like 2 years old, too. And my yeast is like 3 years old. But it's been in the fridge.

Do I need to buy new stuff, or can I just use this old stuff that I never got around to using?  I need fall mack.

You could give it a shot but I wouldn't expect it to A) ferment (at all or properly) and B) taste alright. That's a long damn time. My general rule for nuruk is a year, and you're well past that. The rice might be okay, if it was sealed and dry.

I'd make a simple danyangju with 100g of steamed chapssal/100 ml of good water and 15g of your nuruk just to see what happens. Won't take too long to prep and you can see what happens. Don't use the yeast, because then you can control for just the nuruk.

Keep me updated, I'm interested to see what happens with your ancient brewing supplies. hahaha

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1672 on: October 18, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »

Thanks, Mister.

I have some like 2.5 - 3 year old 누룩. Will it still be decent if I try to make some mack? My 찹쌀 is like 2 years old, too. And my yeast is like 3 years old. But it's been in the fridge.

Do I need to buy new stuff, or can I just use this old stuff that I never got around to using?  I need fall mack.

You could give it a shot but I wouldn't expect it to A) ferment (at all or properly) and B) taste alright. That's a long damn time. My general rule for nuruk is a year, and you're well past that. The rice might be okay, if it was sealed and dry.

I'd make a simple danyangju with 100g of steamed chapssal/100 ml of good water and 15g of your nuruk just to see what happens. Won't take too long to prep and you can see what happens. Don't use the yeast, because then you can control for just the nuruk.

Keep me updated, I'm interested to see what happens with your ancient brewing supplies. hahaha

Okay. 100 / 15 ratio? I'll give that a shot tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, there are more complicated recipes but a simple single fermentation is even steamed rice and water. Usually I'd say use 10 percent nuruk to rice ratio but it's old so I'm suggesting you jack it up a bit to 15.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1673 on: October 18, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »

Thanks, Mister.

dang my second compliment about my internet posts, I feel so validated

now to post another rant about the same teacher in the ranting thread!

(today has been pretty shit so I wasn't being sarcastic in saying that I appreciate your words lol)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1674 on: October 18, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »

Thanks, Mister.

dang my second compliment about my internet posts, I feel so validated

now to post another rant about the same teacher in the ranting thread!

(today has been pretty shit so I wasn't being sarcastic in saying that I appreciate your words lol)

I'm honored to be included although I'm not really sure why I've been included :laugh: Thanks for that!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1675 on: October 18, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Also, moonbrie, your co-T sounds like a different kind of special lol

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1676 on: October 18, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
Aight. Yeah. Three or four years ago I was all about brewing mack, but I never was scientific enough to keep notes, monitor temperatures accurately, etc (I'm a liberal arts major, yup) so it was always a crapshoot. For every two good batches, I'd get one off batch, and even when they were good, they never tasted the same. Do you use a 항아리 or a glass or plastic jar? I always used a 항아리, because I wanted to be 'authentic.'

I have a hangari (12L) and 10 5L plastic ones.

One of the great things about makgeolli is that it's never the same. A true living beverage.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1677 on: October 19, 2016, 08:08:55 AM »
Experienced my first Korean stick-transmission taxi cab this morning. This is also the first Korean cab driver I've seen who actually knew how to navigate through traffic efficiently without trying to give me a stop-and-go play-by-play of The Fast and the Furious.

Coincidence?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1678 on: October 19, 2016, 10:37:05 AM »
Secretary is in the hospital again. Fourth time this year.  :sad:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1679 on: October 19, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »
Secretary is in the hospital again. Fourth time this year.  :sad:

That's too bad. Is this the same person who broke the same ankle twice in the same year?