August 19, 2018, 04:02:18 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 745583 times)

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1420 on: September 30, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »
It's been a nice, relatively boring sports day. I did my usual of holding the finish line like a champ for races.

Now, I have an insufferable choice. Leave early to go to hwesik or wait until the normal time and then go home.

I want to have my cake AND eat it.

Why is the world so cruel.

Sometimes hwesik lasts much later than your normal leaving time would be. I guess it depends on if you enjoy hwesik at all.

As the single best thing to happen to me this week;

My CT asked if I was going. Nope.
She told me to go home (she's older than my head CT).

YESSSSSSS!

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1421 on: October 04, 2016, 08:53:04 AM »
My parents are visiting so I'm using a lot more Korean than I usually would (restaurants, shops and the hotel).

Weirdly, I've found that older Koreans have been able to understand me a lot more than young people.  Thinking about it, that might be true of my general Korean speaking experience here. 

Seems weird!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1422 on: October 04, 2016, 11:34:53 AM »
My parents are visiting so I'm using a lot more Korean than I usually would (restaurants, shops and the hotel).

Weirdly, I've found that older Koreans have been able to understand me a lot more than young people.  Thinking about it, that might be true of my general Korean speaking experience here. 

Seems weird!

I have noticed that too. Perhaps they are more patient, and more interested in understanding you. 

Also, the fact that you are taking your parents out means that you are are being a good child, and deserve a higher degree of respect.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #1423 on: October 04, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »

Seems weird!

My pappa came to visit me last month.  This was the third time in three years he's been here.  What is kind of funny is that, what I taken for granted in my area, he found really interesting.  My house is in walking distance of a temple and next to a spectacular looking mountain.  We moved into a brand spanking new apartment in a new well-planned city in June with a view of the mountain from the living room.  As it is out of season, we went to my favorite beach on the west coast and there was absolutely no one there, and the water was crystal clear.  He came to my school and had a class with my high school girl students, and the VP showed him around to meet the teachers, which was ace.  The other good main thing was all the batshit stupid idiot drivers stayed at home for the week.  Wins all around.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1424 on: October 04, 2016, 03:01:43 PM »
I feel like older Koreans are more likely to initiate small talk, whereas younger Koreans tend to be glued to their phones. For some reason ajummas like chatting at/with me at bus stops/terminals. Even if there's other people there, I seem to get selected as "approachable" I guess.

Sometimes even after I've explained I don't speak much Korean, I'm a foreigner, etc. they still like trying to chat with or at me. I think a higher percentage try and talk to me more either out of curiosity or just because old people like to chat it up.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #1425 on: October 04, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
Bari

?

Sorry if it seems like you're talking to yourself

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1426 on: October 04, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
Anyone else got a case of that first world problem where you can't decide what video game to play next?? Lol. For console: not sure if I wanna play something short and sweet and something more involved that will require more of a commitment  :P

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #1427 on: October 04, 2016, 04:44:47 PM »
Anyone else got a case of that first world problem where you can't decide what video game to play next?? Lol. For console: not sure if I wanna play something short and sweet and something more involved that will require more of a commitment  :P
Just got Bioshcock: The Collection for PS4 on Saturday. Played the first two, but not Infinite. Only 49000W.

Let the games begin.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1428 on: October 05, 2016, 10:45:34 AM »
Sitting here feeling bad.  My main coT retired at the end of last semester and was not replaced.  Instead, the other coTs are working together to cover her duties.

Anyway, midterms are next week and I did not create a review lesson.  Part of me knows I should have realized this, but with the school festival last week, the Free Semester for the first graders that requires camp-like lessons and activities, and the three day weekend, I just didn't think of it.  My former CoT always reminded me of these things.  I miss her.

:-[

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1429 on: October 05, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
Interesting take on peanut butter and jelly today at lunch: there was no peanut butter.  And the bread was toasted.  So basically a toasted grape jelly sandwich.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1430 on: October 05, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »
Interesting take on peanut butter and jelly today at lunch: there was no peanut butter.  And the bread was toasted.  So basically a toasted grape jelly sandwich.

That sounds pretty good, minus the jelly. Jelly is basically just sugar.

Toasted white bread with nothing on it is also just sugar and not good at all...

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1431 on: October 05, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »
When foreign acquaintances in Korea go back to their countries I am so tempted to unfriend them on facebook, because we didn't hang out/talk while you lived here, so what chances are there of it when you don't live here.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1432 on: October 05, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »
When foreign acquaintances in Korea go back to their countries I am so tempted to unfriend them on facebook, because we didn't hang out/talk while you lived here, so what chances are there of it when you don't live here.

Just do it lol I do it all the time, even if they are still in Korea. :evil:

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1433 on: October 05, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »

Sugar is basically a toxin. A kind of toxin is venom. Venom is a popular villain in Marvel's, the 'Spiderman.' Spiderman votes Republican. If you eat jelly you support Donald Trump, who eats pizza with a fork.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

donovan

« Reply #1434 on: October 05, 2016, 12:57:09 PM »

Sugar is basically a toxin. A kind of toxin is venom. Venom is a popular villain in Marvel's, the 'Spiderman.' Spiderman votes Republican. If you eat jelly you support Donald Trump, who eats pizza with a fork.

well said

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1435 on: October 05, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »

Whether or not you like jelly is one thing (@#basedcowboyshirt lol) but I don't really understand why this is strange? Unless they labelled it as pb&j, I thought toast and jam/jelly was pretty normal.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1436 on: October 05, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »

Whether or not you like jelly is one thing (@#basedcowboyshirt lol) but I don't really understand why this is strange? Unless they labelled it as pb&j, I thought toast and jam/jelly was pretty normal.
I agree that that's pretty normal, but not in sandwich form.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1437 on: October 05, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »
Saw a Korean movie over the weekend. 밀정 (English name: Age of Shadows)

It was a good time. Probably would have been even better if there had been English subtitles (alas). I still got the gist of things though. Apparently it's even been released in the US already (produced by Warner Brothers, interestingly enough).

I enjoyed it enough that I want to watch it again with subtitles. One of the main actors was also in Snowpiercer. Gonna keep my eye on this dude, I like his performances. ^^

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1438 on: October 05, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »
Saw a Korean movie over the weekend. 밀정 (English name: Age of Shadows)

It was a good time. Probably would have been even better if there had been English subtitles (alas). I still got the gist of things though. Apparently it's even been released in the US already (produced by Warner Brothers, interestingly enough).

I enjoyed it enough that I want to watch it again with subtitles. One of the main actors was also in Snowpiercer. Gonna keep my eye on this dude, I like his performances. ^^

There are so many good looking movies in the cinema at the moment  :cry: :cry: I don't want to have to wait months to see them with English subs.

I wish there was somewhere I could go online to watch new movies with subs...even pay to rent them.... I feel like they are missing a business opportunity.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1439 on: October 05, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »

Toasted peanut butter and jelly is pretty great, though. Also, cheesecake sandwiches - jam + cream cheese.

I...no longer keep bread in the house.  :cry: