June 21, 2018, 10:19:11 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 703668 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1340 on: September 27, 2016, 09:24:22 AM »
Has anyone ever notices the weird orange nails a lot of people here have? It doesnt look like polish it looks like weird orange nails. It doesnt look nice..

Is it like this? Apparently it's a traditional thing to dye their nails with these flowers. I agree that it doesn't look that nice, though.

Yeah. My students also said they do it because they can't use polish.
Is this a younger kid thing?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1341 on: September 27, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »
Has anyone ever notices the weird orange nails a lot of people here have? It doesnt look like polish it looks like weird orange nails. It doesnt look nice..

Is it like this? Apparently it's a traditional thing to dye their nails with these flowers. I agree that it doesn't look that nice, though.
YES thank you! I always thought they were just colouring their nails with an orange marker but then I saw some adults with it and I was like huh?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1342 on: September 27, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »

I am not sure. I imagine it has become a fad for some reason or another. For a while I was wondering why some kids had dirty nails.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1343 on: September 27, 2016, 10:01:48 AM »

YES thank you! I always thought they were just colouring their nails with an orange marker but then I saw some adults with it and I was like huh?

It's a traditional thing and you dye your nails then it grows out over the summer and it's supposed to be gone when it's officially the next season. My friend had it done to her by some students. It's not so much a beauty thing as it is a time telling tradition, or at least thats what her CT told her in broken english XD

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1344 on: September 27, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »
One of my 4th grade boys sometimes has orange fingernails. I've yet to see a girl with orange nails lol

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1345 on: September 27, 2016, 10:44:42 AM »
back at the beginning of the school year my cot and boss kept nagging me to do bomb games, even though they're a bit long to do as anything other than a full-class review session. I tried out a non-ppt review game today but for the low level students the rules were too confusing, and also it was way too loud.

SO I'M GONNA DO A BOMB GAME OFF WAYGOOK HOPE THAT FINALLY MAKES THEM HAPPY

We'll see

Ugh. I had one coteacher who ALWAYS wanted bomb games, but she wanted me to do them in like 5 minutes at the end of class. And I was like, "A) it takes a fairly decent amount of time to make a bomb game that perfectly matches the vocabulary in our book that we've been teaching, and B) it's not a good way for students to retain knowledge, and C) it takes more than 5-10 minutes."

Ugh. Just thinking about it makes me annoyed. I hate bomb games so much, unless, as you said, it's as like, a multiple-lesson review.

Bomb game went great. I guess that's what I'll do for finals review too... haha

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1346 on: September 27, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
One of my 4th grade boys sometimes has orange fingernails. I've yet to see a girl with orange nails lol

They dye it with a special flower dye. It's supposed to bring good luck in love later in life

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1347 on: September 27, 2016, 12:08:02 PM »
I hate the feeling of someone ignoring or avoiding me on purpose. It gives me bad anxiety.  Facebook puts that fear into me too often. I hate that facebook will show someone is online when they actually aren't. I have definitely gotten angry at people for ignoring me but they werent actually online... oops
I know, me too! I think it's because if you're logged in on your cell phone, it will say you're online even though you don't have the window open.
Right, and them I'm like... How would I actually know then?! lol but then I forget I always have my browser open on my computer even in the background during class so I too do the same thing sometimes and don't even realize...  :-[

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1348 on: September 27, 2016, 12:09:25 PM »

I am not sure. I imagine it has become a fad for some reason or another. For a while I was wondering why some kids had dirty nails.
I have never seen this! I am going to be staring at girls nails now though.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1349 on: September 27, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »
Just check all their nails. At my schools i've only ever seen one or two boys with orange nails.

Offline lewisbooth

• Newgookin
« Reply #1350 on: September 27, 2016, 03:25:35 PM »
I've only seen the orange nails in my elementary schools, usually with the younger kids. Sometimes even the teachers have them. I was told it was because of a flower. I guess after a while it fades and looks like nicotine stains  :laugh: that might be why we think it looks odd

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1351 on: September 28, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
I've only seen the orange nails in my elementary schools, usually with the younger kids. Sometimes even the teachers have them. I was told it was because of a flower. I guess after a while it fades and looks like nicotine stains  :laugh: that might be why we think it looks odd
YES  lol

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1352 on: September 28, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »
hol-eeee sheeeeet

So, last night my phone apparently died while I was sleeping. Usually I can wake up on time without an alarm, but this morning, not so much. I woke up a full 15 minutes after I was already supposed to be at school, and got on the bus a full hour after I usually do. I was terrified I was going to be yelled at, since my boss cot was really mean to me when I was 10 minutes late a couple of times.

I got to school, she just sighed and told me to talk to the vice principal and principal. The vice principal just asked if I needed a phone charger and if I wanted to bring my phone to the service center (it's a few years old and its battery life has been decreasing), and the principal (the really nice/overbearing one) just gave me a hug and said she was worried and then gave me one of those weird pouches of juice (grape juice, if anyone's curious). Then she made a fuss over how cute it was that the grape juice matched the dark purple shirt I'm wearing today.

I'm sure if I was late again like this they would be angry, but this is certainly not the reaction I expected! lol

Online JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1353 on: September 28, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
hol-eeee sheeeeet

So, last night my phone apparently died while I was sleeping. Usually I can wake up on time without an alarm, but this morning, not so much. I woke up a full 15 minutes after I was already supposed to be at school, and got on the bus a full hour after I usually do. I was terrified I was going to be yelled at, since my boss cot was really mean to me when I was 10 minutes late a couple of times.

I got to school, she just sighed and told me to talk to the vice principal and principal. The vice principal just asked if I needed a phone charger and if I wanted to bring my phone to the service center (it's a few years old and its battery life has been decreasing), and the principal (the really nice/overbearing one) just gave me a hug and said she was worried and then gave me one of those weird pouches of juice (grape juice, if anyone's curious). Then she made a fuss over how cute it was that the grape juice matched the dark purple shirt I'm wearing today.

I'm sure if I was late again like this they would be angry, but this is certainly not the reaction I expected! lol
I reccommend an actual alarm clock. It's old school, but a little more reliable. As an added bonus, they tend to be louder, so you can place them farther away from your bed. If you haqve to physically get up to turn off the alarm, it basically eliminates the need for a snooze button.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1354 on: September 28, 2016, 10:16:40 AM »
hol-eeee sheeeeet

I reccommend an actual alarm clock. It's old school, but a little more reliable. As an added bonus, they tend to be louder, so you can place them farther away from your bed. If you haqve to physically get up to turn off the alarm, it basically eliminates the need for a snooze button.

Usually I wake up with no problem before the alarm even goes off though. Today was just an aberration. 

Online JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1355 on: September 28, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »
Usually I wake up with no problem before the alarm even goes off though. Today was just an aberration.
Dat vocab doe.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1356 on: September 28, 2016, 11:31:42 AM »
I use both an alarm clock and my phone -- the alarm clock is super shitty, that's why I double it up with my phone. Battery-operated, doesn't even glow in the dark so that I can see the time without having to get out of bed.

I want to purchase a new one, but I also want it to be cute/pretty. I haven't found one that fits that parameter that wasn't also just as shitty as my old one.

I don't want to have to order something like that online, but I don't think I'll have a choice.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1357 on: September 28, 2016, 11:44:08 AM »
Am I the only one who occasionally thinks yirgacheffe and yirj17 are the same person? I'm always getting confused.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1358 on: September 28, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »
Am I the only one who occasionally thinks yirgacheffe and yirj17 are the same person? I'm always getting confused.

Same. and Kayos and Kyndo, although Kyndo's Stitch pic helps~

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1359 on: September 28, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
I tried changing my user name long ago but my message was ignored or missed. Ah well.

Whenever I see yirgacheffe I always hear "giraffe" in my head.