August 16, 2018, 02:13:14 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 355295 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #440 on: May 30, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
I feel ya. I really like my main school and already sense I'll miss this gig once the time comes to move on. Also, island schools have a shorter term (3 years, then Korean teachers have an option to apply for a 4th if they so wish) so it feels like the changeover rate is higher. This year we got 4 new teachers and at the end of this year I already know 3 are leaving; and that's not including the 2 contract Korean teachers whose fates are even more in flux depending on their own plans or whether they get hired again.

Next year there's realllly gonna be a day of change, for better or for worse.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #441 on: May 30, 2016, 03:47:28 PM »
Someone bought ice cream for the office again. I guess this is their method of combating summer heat  :cheesy:

On a side note though, why does cookies and cream ice cream here always have coffee undertones???  :undecided:

Online denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #442 on: May 31, 2016, 08:13:23 AM »
No classes for the rest of the week as students will be on class trips.  I'm taking a vacation day Friday to go to the beach, and Monday is a holiday.  Life is good (for now).    :azn:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #443 on: May 31, 2016, 08:16:24 AM »
Someone bought ice cream for the office again. I guess this is their method of combating summer heat  :cheesy:

On a side note though, why does cookies and cream ice cream here always have coffee undertones???  :undecided:
I don't know, but it's the sugar related bane of my existence because I love cookies and cream and hate coffee.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #444 on: May 31, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
Finally after 9 years, I bought some cool summer trousers in a normal Korean shop that fit and are really comfortable keep me cool in the summer.  Usually if I go shopping the majority of shops don't have my size or they are slim fit.  I am just shy of 6 foot tall and weigh 84 kilos, but for the life of me I have never been able to find decent trousers here.  I got used to the fact that I have size 11 feet so can't get my trainers downtown.  I like the shops like Eight Seconds/H&M/Zara etc as the cost is good, and the range is nice but the biggest size are just too tight for me or just not big enough.  But on Saturday I went to Uniqlo and found some nice trousers for the summer which are airy enough (Dry brand) and also stretch nicely for 49 000 won.  They are also smart enough to look professional, which I think is important.  I bought some linen trousers from H&M last year and after one sitting they split down the bum, the stitching didn't look especially strong when I got them, but for 29 000 won it was to be expected.  Little things like this make me happy. 

Online DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #445 on: May 31, 2016, 02:25:49 PM »
Re-signed today. Time keeps on slippin' slippin'... into the fuuuuture...

:laugh: :cry:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #446 on: May 31, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
Finally after 9 years, I bought some cool summer trousers in a normal Korean shop that fit and are really comfortable keep me cool in the summer.  Usually if I go shopping the majority of shops don't have my size or they are slim fit.  I am just shy of 6 foot tall and weigh 84 kilos, but for the life of me I have never been able to find decent trousers here.  I got used to the fact that I have size 11 feet so can't get my trainers downtown.  I like the shops like Eight Seconds/H&M/Zara etc as the cost is good, and the range is nice but the biggest size are just too tight for me or just not big enough.  But on Saturday I went to Uniqlo and found some nice trousers for the summer which are airy enough (Dry brand) and also stretch nicely for 49 000 won.  They are also smart enough to look professional, which I think is important.  I bought some linen trousers from H&M last year and after one sitting they split down the bum, the stitching didn't look especially strong when I got them, but for 29 000 won it was to be expected.  Little things like this make me happy.

From one 6ft tall person to another...if you see anything for women...  :laugh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #447 on: May 31, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »

:azn: Erm, let's....erm, right, well.  If it took me 9 years to find them, I will double that time for you.  But as you are leaving  :cry: I'm not sure you have 18 years on you.   :P

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #448 on: May 31, 2016, 03:07:03 PM »
Finally hot enough for naengmyeon. Love me some naengmyeon.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #449 on: May 31, 2016, 03:07:48 PM »

:azn: Erm, let's....erm, right, well.  If it took me 9 years to find them, I will double that time for you.  But as you are leaving  :cry: I'm not sure you have 18 years on you.   :P

Eh? I'm not leaving Korea, haha.  Just moving to Seoul.
(And I get my pants shipped from the USA anyway :P )

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #450 on: May 31, 2016, 03:20:46 PM »

Oops, my bad.  So you do have 18 years?   ;D

I taught at the same two schools for seven years.  One had a special assembly where all the 100 students wrote me a letter and came up to the stage to give them to me.  I got a special glass plaque for my 'service' there. At the other school, the students made me a special video of themselves saying goodbye to the soundtrack of an 'Oasis' track.  I didn't cry at school but I did when I went home and watched it.  Sometimes we don't realise that we make a difference to students and it is sad to say goodbye to them.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #451 on: May 31, 2016, 03:23:41 PM »

I taught at the same two schools for seven years.  One had a special assembly where all the 100 students wrote me a letter and came up to the stage to give them to me.  I got a special glass plaque for my 'service' there. At the other school, the students made me a special video of themselves saying goodbye to the soundtrack of an 'Oasis' track.  I didn't cry at school but I did when I went home and watched it.  Sometimes we don't realise that we make a difference to students and it is sad to say goodbye to them.

I have a YouTube channel, so I'm going to make a video and share it with them on the last day of class.  I'm going to pre-write what I want to say and have a Korean friend translate it so that I can make sure they really understand how I feel.  I'm really heartbroken to be leaving, and I feel like no matter what school I move on to in what country, nothing will compare to this one.  It's been such a unique and overwhelmingly positive experience. :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #452 on: May 31, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »

I have a YouTube channel, so I'm going to make a video and share it with them on the last day of class.  I'm going to pre-write what I want to say and have a Korean friend translate it so that I can make sure they really understand how I feel.  I'm really heartbroken to be leaving, and I feel like no matter what school I move on to in what country, nothing will compare to this one.  It's been such a unique and overwhelmingly positive experience. :cry:

I know how you feel.  It's great that you had that lovely experience in your school  ;D I found that the teachers were really nice at my schools but the finishing was all kind of formal, as teachers come and go all the time.  But the students are kind of a 'this moment' experience, you invest a lot of time and energy helping them, having fun learning together in class, as well as learning from them too about Korea, watch them grow up and change, some get better, some go downhill.  But I think it is a fantastic experience for us and they change us as well as we can change them.  I think that is why the time goes so quickly here when you are enjoying your time!! Hopefully it isn't gonna be too hard until you finish, I think the video and the message will be a great idea!!  Dry eyes though!!!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #453 on: June 01, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
Today's open classes went about the way I expected, and better than my coTs expected -- they were very happy with the results, which is funny because I did things how I normally do them. I guess they thought I'd choke or something. But now everyone's in a super good mood, makes up for the serious world-ending, soul-sucking demolition that was Monday and the period of mourning that was Tuesday.

Offline antoniusk

• Veteran
  • Hm?
« Reply #454 on: June 01, 2016, 11:32:57 AM »
...I have today and tomorrow off. School anniversary for today's school, and all-day school camp at tomorrow's...

I guess I should be happy? Hahah
Gyopo Status

Offline Hodlpu

• Veteran
« Reply #455 on: June 01, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »
- Someone gave me a water bottle as a gift.
- Got my bonus for re-signing
- Just got paid with my new raise
- Checked my bank account and found out I saved more than I thought
- Booked my flight back to America to visit
- Going hiking on monday with some good korean friends
- and monday is off!

Pretty good week so far!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #456 on: June 01, 2016, 01:07:54 PM »
Just found out that today is a half-day. Hah.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #457 on: June 01, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »
And I just got my school laptop back. c:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #458 on: June 01, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Finally did my taxes like a semblance of an adult!! ('murica residents outta country get an extension till mid-June) And am expecting a nice refund :)

The local mart got a goodly shipment of ice cream recently. There's this delightful chocolate popsicle with brownie bits in it that has become my current favorite! I nearly cleaned out their stock of it and ate it all (10...) within two days  :cry:  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #459 on: June 01, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
Finally hot enough for naengmyeon. Love me some naengmyeon.

YES.