June 20, 2018, 07:39:47 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 340790 times)

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2420 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »
Korean language course? You'd recommend it?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2421 on: January 10, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »
Korean language course? You'd recommend it?

Indeed. Probably depends on the individual and the teacher you get but I'm having a fine time so far. The method is more immersion based than other courses might be; I heard some of the programs up in Seoul are a bit more English friendly (someone I know took courses at Korea Uni some years ago).

If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to try and provide answers.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2422 on: January 11, 2018, 07:34:46 AM »
This might sound like a rant at the beginning, but wait for it...

Yesterday at lunch time I stopped at an Emart cafeteria.  As I was browsing the trophy case of wax models, an adjumma bumped into me about 3 times.  I got in line behind the person being served. As she left, the adjumma slid in between me and the clerk and proceeded to place her order.

My response was going to be to take a half step forward so that she would be eyes-to-pecs with me as she turned, but a Korean man in his late 20s tapped her on the shoulder and called her out for being an ass.

Thank you stranger. 
It is nice to see things like this called out.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2423 on: January 12, 2018, 07:23:00 AM »
Last day of camp!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2424 on: January 12, 2018, 08:21:03 AM »

Yesterday at lunch time I stopped at an Emart cafeteria.  As I was browsing the trophy case of wax models, an adjumma bumped into me about 3 times.  I got in line behind the person being served. As she left, the adjumma slid in between me and the clerk and proceeded to place her order.

My response was going to be to take a half step forward so that she would be eyes-to-pecs with me as she turned, but a Korean man in his late 20s tapped her on the shoulder and called her out for being an ass.

Thank you stranger. 
I always appreciate when that happens. I was at the airport trying to get back into the country last weekend, in the Korean line since I have the SES sticker in my passport. An ajeossi pushed in front of me right as I was about to enter the line to check my fingerprint and the young lady worker started yelling at him.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2425 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »

Thank you stranger. 
I always appreciate when that happens. I was at the airport trying to get back into the country last weekend, in the Korean line since I have the SES sticker in my passport. An ajeossi pushed in front of me right as I was about to enter the line to check my fingerprint and the young lady worker started yelling at him.

I love these stories. The sense of entitlement here in some older folk is just astounding. It's great hearing the younger generation are calling out these people.

What do I have to be happy about? I've got another 4 days of camp, but 1.5 days is watching a movie and eating pizza and I'll be sunning myself on the northern beaches of New Zealand's south island next week so it's all good.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2426 on: January 12, 2018, 09:18:19 AM »

Thank you stranger. 

I love these stories. The sense of entitlement here in some older folk is just astounding. It's great hearing the younger generation are calling out these people.

What do I have to be happy about? I've got another 4 days of camp, but 1.5 days is watching a movie and eating pizza and I'll be sunning myself on the northern beaches of New Zealand's south island next week so it's all good.

Similar at IKEA yesterday. It was my turn and I started to go through the process of checking out. Up behind me comes an older woman (60?) who started to push up. The next thing to ring out "get behind the yellow line. Everyone must wait behind the yellow line." In Korean of course. Anyhow...Score! :afro: :police:

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2427 on: January 12, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
My school has signs up in the bathroom stalls stating that toilet paper is to be flushed, and the wastebaskets are for non-toilet-related trash. No more bins full of sh!tty paper in the bathrooms! Well, there was at first, but I'll consider that a transitional period while people got used to the new rule  :laugh:.

Oh, and you'll never believe what else they've added in the school bathrooms: Paper towel dispensers! Can you friggin' believe that? My school's always been pretty good about having the hot water turned on in winter, but even the hottest of hot water becomes frigid on one's hands and/or pants in a sub-zero hallway. Paper towels are a welcome change.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2428 on: January 12, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »

Thank you stranger. 

Similar at IKEA yesterday. It was my turn and I started to go through the process of checking out. Up behind me comes an older woman (60?) who started to push up. The next thing to ring out "get behind the yellow line. Everyone must wait behind the yellow line." In Korean of course. Anyhow...Score! :afro: :police:
The age of entitlement may wane yet! Slowly, but surely.

@Mister Tim- I saw a sign for flushing toilet paper for the first time in Lotte on Wednesday. It's so nice that it's actually happening!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2429 on: January 12, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »

Thank you stranger. 

The age of entitlement may wane yet! Slowly, but surely.

@Mister Tim- I saw a sign for flushing toilet paper for the first time in Lotte on Wednesday. It's so nice that it's actually happening!

The same Emart store had these signs - in Korean, English, Chinese, and Japanese.

I really donít think the translation was required.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #2430 on: January 12, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
Last day of camp!

Me too.  I asked for only one week camp and my school said cool.  5th,6th and 7th period.  Usually, I do a cooking class  on the last day.  But my school gave me a 200 000 won budget which is too much, so I decided to make every 7th period a cooking class.  Classes included muffin decorating, today is British pancakes,  tortilla pizzas and yesterday was melting snowman cookies...

Weekend packing time!!!!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2431 on: January 12, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
Last day of camp!

Me too.  I asked for only one week camp and my school said cool.  5th,6th and 7th period.  Usually, I do a cooking class  on the last day.  But my school gave me a 200 000 won budget which is too much, so I decided to make every 7th period a cooking class.  Classes included muffin decorating, today is British pancakes,  tortilla pizzas and yesterday was melting snowman cookies...

Weekend packing time!!!!
I've seen those floating around online! They are so cute, did they turn out well?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #2432 on: January 12, 2018, 12:10:44 PM »
Last day of camp!

Weekend packing time!!!!
I've seen those floating around online! They are so cute, did they turn out well?

Yep, all good.  When I have a cooking class, I want my students to be creative, that is the most important thing to me.  It was also kind of cheap.  The cookie mix was 3000 won, icing sugar is 2000 won, the icing cookie pens were a little dear at 5000 won and then the marshmallows are 3000 won.  That did for six students. For all the days, my shopping total was 120 000 won, so I couldn't even take my full budget. 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2433 on: January 12, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
Last day of camp!

Weekend packing time!!!!

Yep, all good.  When I have a cooking class, I want my students to be creative, that is the most important thing to me.  It was also kind of cheap.  The cookie mix was 3000 won, icing sugar is 2000 won, the icing cookie pens were a little dear at 5000 won and then the marshmallows are 3000 won.  That did for six students. For all the days, my shopping total was 120 000 won, so I couldn't even take my full budget.
Thats great! I wish I had had a budget like that, back in the days when I had camp. But it sounds like they had a lot of fun. ^^

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2434 on: January 12, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
Last day of camp!

Weekend packing time!!!!
That's so fun! I bet the students loved that. I'm not allowed to do food during camp, because of "students' safety." They can run down the hallways and stairs at top speed but heaven forbid we put cheese on crackers.  :rolleyes:

Anyway my camp is over! The two weeks went faster than I thought it would, and now I'm freeeee!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2435 on: January 23, 2018, 10:20:01 AM »
My friend is getting her new work visa from the embassy in Fukuoka, so she will be bringing me some of the raspberry Sugi Bee honey that yirj mentioned a while ago, and I gotta say I'm pretty excited to finally try it!

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2436 on: January 23, 2018, 10:39:25 AM »
My friend is getting her new work visa from the embassy in Fukuoka, so she will be bringing me some of the raspberry Sugi Bee honey that yirj mentioned a while ago, and I gotta say I'm pretty excited to finally try it!

I forgot about that honey. I need to add it to my list of things to buy once I finally make it over there.

Also, how's your throat?

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2437 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:33 AM »

I forgot about that honey. I need to add it to my list of things to buy once I finally make it over there.

Also, how's your throat?
It's a lot better. It was pretty strong pain for the rest of the week, then it faded into just sore the week after that, and now it seems to be all gone. It just flared up a little on one side for a day ast week, but I'm pretty sure that was because of the pollution.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2438 on: January 23, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »

Yes!! The honey! Delightful as a dessert topping such as over vanilla ice cream but I enjoy it most when mixed with water for a refreshing beverage. (If I recall correctly, the ratio is about 1 parts honey to 5 parts water, adjusted for personal preference)

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2439 on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »
It's a lot better. It was pretty strong pain for the rest of the week, then it faded into just sore the week after that, and now it seems to be all gone. It just flared up a little on one side for a day ast week, but I'm pretty sure that was because of the pollution.

Glad to hear it. Did you lose your voice? I sounded like a barking seal for about a week after my ordeal.

Yes!! The honey! Delightful as a dessert topping such as over vanilla ice cream but I enjoy it most when mixed with water for a refreshing beverage. (If I recall correctly, the ratio is about 1 parts honey to 5 parts water, adjusted for personal preference)

I want to use it for tea, mostly, but I'm also planning on making cakes with it. xD Now that you've brought it up, though, I can see myself using it as part of a glaze for an ice cream cake.  :shocked:

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018