October 17, 2018, 08:19:13 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 370948 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2040 on: July 26, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »
10 students showed up for the first day of camp!!  A goodly even number for some relay race type games.  I was expecting less. 

Really glad I snagged water balloons last time I was in the city.  They were a huge hit and easily the students' favorite part.  And camp was half an hour shorter than I thought it was going to be! 

Not a bad start.

How did you go about using water balloons in your camp?

The way nature intended   8)

Just a few simple games.  Did a relay race where they had to pass water balloons down their team's line-- first team to put so many in a bowl is the winner! 

And that game where you toss it to a partner then take back a step and the last surviving pair is the winner! 

Then time was running out and they were itching to play "survivor" so I told them the driest person at the end would be the winner! and they all just went nuts.   :laugh:

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #2041 on: July 27, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »
I have a 10 day camp. on the 5th and 10th day we are having massive watergun, water balloon fights as a break from learning but also to give them something fun to look forward to after working so hard.

Before you ask, no that is not all they are doing on those days. We are learning theme park based vocabulary those days since that is where some will be going this summer. Also it ties nicely into school water day as it teaches words like wave pool, roller coaster.... what better words to learn before having massive water fight?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2042 on: July 27, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »
Kids have happily been playing ERS for the last half hour. 

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #2043 on: July 27, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »
Wow lunch was so good today!
Salad, watermelon, potato soup, and meatloaf (surprisingly good).

Now just 3.5 hrs left.....

Online elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #2044 on: July 27, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
I have a few special needs students scattered throughout my classes.

One kid in particular is a nightmare to teach. Hell on wheels.  The Korean teachers have no idea what to do with him or how to handle him.  But this kid has wormed his way into my heart.

He loves anything art related.  You tell him the activity has a drawing portion and he's all over it.  He is also incredible at drawing-only 10 years old and he can draw circles around me.

Anyways, he's in my summer camp and today was art day.  There was drawing and painting and just being imaginative.  The look on his face when I explained the day's plan was priceless. I've never seen a smile so big (he is usually very withdrawn and unresponsive).  My heart just completely melted :azn:.
He even said gave me a bright "Goodbye, teacher!" when he left. And that's not something he does very often. 
I'm thinking of sneaking an extra art activity into tomorrow's plan just for that smile.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2045 on: July 27, 2017, 05:02:41 PM »

ERS?

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2046 on: July 27, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »
Working towards a teaching certification.

Mantra
Can't wait to vacate

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2047 on: July 28, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »
Okay, so I just got back from seeing Dunkirk again, but in Yongsan this time, having seen it at Starium YDP on opening day. They just had a complete reno of the buidling done. My god. This is the nicest cinema complex I've ever seen. And with these renovations came a new IMAX theatre.

It's supposed to be the biggest IMAX screen in the world. And it's Laser IMAX. What's that, you ask. Holy shit. This is the best cinema presentation I've ever seen. I've never been on the digital side of the fence before. This changes my mind. It doesn't use a traditional xenon lamp to throw the picture at the screen. It uses 6 lasers (RGB) and TWO projectors (so 12 lasers). It is bright and it's in 4K and it looks absolutely fantastic.

I'm completely blown away. Go, seriously. Even if you don't particularly want to see Dunkirk. Even if you've already seen Dunkirk.

I've worked in a few theatres (in projection), and I've been to many more in my 32 years. This one is the pinnacle of presentation.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2048 on: July 28, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »

Mantra
Can't wait to vacate

Good luck!  Question though: to get a teaching certification from my home country I need to do in-school placements, meaning I physically have to be at home rather than do the course on-line.  That's not a problem for you?

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2049 on: July 28, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »

Mantra
Can't wait to vacate

Good luck!  Question though: to get a teaching certification from my home country I need to do in-school placements, meaning I physically have to be at home rather than do the course on-line.  That's not a problem for you?

Yes I have to do in school observations, which can be done at any point. My plan is to finish the academic portion before leaving Korea. Once I settle I will do my observations. Certain districts do have placements during summer school.

Not sure where you're from, but in the US each state has different requirements. Some are more restrictive then others.

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2050 on: July 28, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »

Mantra
Can't wait to vacate

Yes I have to do in school observations, which can be done at any point. My plan is to finish the academic portion before leaving Korea. Once I settle I will do my observations. Certain districts do have placements during summer school.

Not sure where you're from, but in the US each state has different requirements. Some are more restrictive then others.

Yeh cool.  I'm from Australia. All the courses I have looked at say that I can do the academics online up to a point, but then I have to do the placements within certain timeframes or else I can't go forward with the academics anyhow.  So you're lucky that it seems that you have some more freedom

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2051 on: July 28, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »

ERS?

Egyptian Ratscrew!  A card game.  I've yet to discover the origin of why it's called that...

http://www.bicyclecards.com/how-to-play/egyptian-rat-screw/

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2052 on: July 28, 2017, 09:27:02 PM »
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, just spent the last 5 hours making a huge batch of makgeolli. 1.8kg of 맵쌀, 1.8kg of 찹쌀 both organic. 3.6L of Jeju water and 350g of my friends homemade rice nuruk.

Its now bubbling in a 12L Hangari.

Waygook party? ahahahaha

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2053 on: July 28, 2017, 09:51:16 PM »
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, just spent the last 5 hours making a huge batch of makgeolli. 1.8kg of 맵쌀, 1.8kg of 찹쌀 both organic. 3.6L of Jeju water and 350g of my friends homemade rice nuruk.

Its now bubbling in a 12L Hangari.

Waygook party? ahahahaha

Nice!! I hope it all goes well. I am slowly preparing to distill whisky.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2054 on: July 28, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »
Got a tattoo on Wednesday at Seoul Ink

https://imgur.com/a/nZ0rY

It's not a pokeball, you cretins. It's the Atlantic Records symbol. hahahah

My brother thought it was the Indian Flag.

Already got my eyes on the next tattoo, albeit B+W

EDIT: Actually, ForeverParadise, my shirt is a Manitoulin Island Split Rail Brewery T-shirt. Good luck in Wikki man. Le monde ce n'est pas si grande que ca.   

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:45:35 PM by CO2 »

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2055 on: July 30, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2056 on: July 30, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2057 on: August 01, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »
Camp is over!  And I think the kids had a pretty good time overall. 

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2058 on: August 03, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »
two more days..... just two more days.  And then I can be happy

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2059 on: August 03, 2017, 07:25:04 AM »
I still have today and tomorrow, and then a very short vacation. I posted this in another place, but are a lot of you going back on the 14th like me, or did your school decide to go with the sensible thing to do (as the 15th, Tuesday, is a holiday)? I mean, I can't and won't do anything about it, just want to know how many of you have to suffer with me.  :evil: :huh: :cry: :laugh: