October 20, 2018, 08:19:49 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 371311 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1500 on: December 27, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Finally placed an order for some furniture that I've been wanting to get. Expected to arrive during my vacation and then I'll finally have a home that looks like a home instead of a live-in closet. Can't wait ~!

I got a bookshelf a few weeks ago and it changed my life.

It's the little things.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1501 on: December 27, 2016, 09:12:54 AM »
Finally placed an order for some furniture that I've been wanting to get. Expected to arrive during my vacation and then I'll finally have a home that looks like a home instead of a live-in closet. Can't wait ~!

It's the little things.
It really is! I got a small wooden chest a week ago from the trash (people throw away so many good things here), and now my crochet supplies are neatly organized instead of in a big plastic bag.  8)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1502 on: December 27, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »

It's the little things.
It really is! I got a small wooden chest a week ago from the trash (people throw away so many good things here), and now my crochet supplies are neatly organized instead of in a big plastic bag.  8)

I've seen a lot of good things getting tossed out, too, but I've been too afraid to take anything up because of a few stories I've read here and there.

Is it safe to take furniture with stickers on them? Those aren't for charity, right?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1503 on: December 27, 2016, 10:00:28 AM »

It's the little things.

I've seen a lot of good things getting tossed out, too, but I've been too afraid to take anything up because of a few stories I've read here and there.

Is it safe to take furniture with stickers on them? Those aren't for charity, right?

Hahahah I found a large bookshelf by the rubbish heap a few months ago. A bit beat up but still functional. Dragged that sucker back to my home on my own. Funny thing was, I had been contemplating getting one at the time so it was quite serendipitous.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1504 on: December 27, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »
At least half of my furniture back home was scrounged from the street or dumpsters.

Unfortunately my boyfriend got rid of most of it when I left for Korea because he just didn't want to deal with so much furniture.

I think we still have my favorite huge ottoman and my (and our cat's) favorite yellow chair though.

I'm looking forward to decorating when I get back. A little sad I can't bring some of the nice furniture I acquired here though. I hope I can get rid of everything.

Offline puleng

• Newgookin
« Reply #1505 on: December 27, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »
I don't get why teachers that aren't renewing their contracts have to deskwarm after vacation?

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1506 on: December 27, 2016, 09:06:09 PM »
My sisters boyfriend is Korean. The poor guy had to come back over break to attend his sisters fake Korean wedding to appease the grandparents (she's been married for six years already).

On the bright side this left him with a mostly empty suitcase he planned to fill up with Korean food to bring back with him.

My family sent me a case of coffee, home made pastries etc.

It's mostly the coffee that will keep me alive but the next three months are looking so much better.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1507 on: December 28, 2016, 07:09:15 AM »

It's the little things.

I only take things when it's dark out or there's no one around, so I'm not sure if it's okay or not. People just throw out stuff and sometimes it'll sit there for weeks before it's taken away. The other things that were put out with my wooden chest are still sitting there, so if I hadn't rescued the chest it would be all soggy and nasty by now and no use to anyone. I've never seen anything with a sticker in my trash area, but I thought the stickers meant it was an item that required a fee to be taken away, and the sticker indicated that it had been paid for, but I'm not sure.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1508 on: December 28, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »

It's the little things.

I only take things when it's dark out or there's no one around, so I'm not sure if it's okay or not. People just throw out stuff and sometimes it'll sit there for weeks before it's taken away. The other things that were put out with my wooden chest are still sitting there, so if I hadn't rescued the chest it would be all soggy and nasty by now and no use to anyone. I've never seen anything with a sticker in my trash area, but I thought the stickers meant it was an item that required a fee to be taken away, and the sticker indicated that it had been paid for, but I'm not sure.

The other day I saw a table with a note written on it that said "Someone who needs this - take it!"

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1509 on: December 28, 2016, 08:08:51 AM »

The sticker (yellow in my area) are bought by the person throwing it away from the local council and the council gets someone to swing past and pick it up.  If it's not there because you've taken it I imagine they won't care too much, but maybe they will.  You can't just dump big things, you have to pay for it to be carted away. What happens to it after that I don't know, but I don't think it's going to charity.  Local council may be selling it to a junker to make some cash back though. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:14:10 AM by welcomebackkotter »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1510 on: December 28, 2016, 09:28:50 AM »
So we have a festival today and one of the teachers was attempting to attach balloons onto a poster. A lot of balloons ended up on the ceiling so there was a short game of capture the balloons with an umbrella  :laugh:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1511 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »
One more half day of exams, then I am out of here for a looong vacation.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1512 on: December 28, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
Just found out its school festival day!! :laugh:

Offline chrislis90

• Adventurer
« Reply #1513 on: December 28, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »
The school festival yesterday was great. Having been chosen to play chess against the students (I haven't played in over 10 years) I didn't fare too badly with a 3-2 record. The performances were at times hilarious. Being at an all boys middle school, as soon as the female dancers appeared they lost their minds lol.

Also the food this week has been extra good as some parents have been getting involved in making lunch and I have just been told all of my summer camp students will be coming to winter camp! Happy times.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1514 on: December 28, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »

The sticker (yellow in my area) are bought by the person throwing it away from the local council and the council gets someone to swing past and pick it up.  If it's not there because you've taken it I imagine they won't care too much, but maybe they will.  You can't just dump big things, you have to pay for it to be carted away. What happens to it after that I don't know, but I don't think it's going to charity.  Local council may be selling it to a junker to make some cash back though.

Hah, so basically anything without a sticker and not sitting next to a charity bin should be safe to take. And if it has a sticker, it's probably still safe to take, but we should remain mindful and watchful about it.

And yeah, I get what you mean about watching good things rot away. I've seen lots of decent furniture get ruined by the weather after sitting outside for a week or more, sticker or no sticker. Which is funny because the stuff I stick outside to get rid of always seem to disappear within the hour. It's one of the reasons why I questioned whether or not it was okay to take any of the other things I see get put out on the curb that are in the same or better condition than my old junk of similar or comparable size.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:23:08 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1515 on: December 28, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »
I love when they order fried chicken and pizza to the office.

Though chicken in the morning and then also in the afternoon seems a bit overkill.

And then we're going out for our weekly teachers' dinner... hahah

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1516 on: December 28, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
It's nearly always a mid-afternoon snack here or a few hours after supper which totally seems counterintuitive.

This time it was fine though as I didn't find today's lunch particularly appetizing. Don't think I'll have much appetite at the restaurant tonight though  :lipsrsealed:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1517 on: December 28, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
While I do love fried chicken and pizza, I hate it when it gets ordered to school, because it's always either in between breakfast and lunch, or lunch and dinner. So I either have to a) not eat it, or b) skip a meal because I ate it. Completely throws me off for the entire day.

There's no rice, so it's just a snack. What's your problem?

/s
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1518 on: December 28, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
We had a contest to see whose model airplane would stay afloat the longest and mine won :D 17.8 seconds! The art teacher was really close. I guess we're crafty hahah

Got a free umbrella from the festival, too! Looks like a nice one

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1519 on: December 29, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »
There was a prize! 10,000 gift certificate to the local mart  :laugh:

Slept through my alarms but managed to make it into work on time. Found out all classes were canceled and the kids are watching a movie so that the teachers can have a meeting.

Sweet. More time for winter camp prep