October 17, 2018, 06:35:18 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Interesting Movies to Show in Class - to stimulate conversation  (Read 2645 times)

Offline cgennoe

• Newgookin
I've been reading recently about the potential for teaching with movies and subtitles. Particularly after exam periods or sandwiched in between two challenging lessons to break things up for students, while still maintaining a language oriented atmosphere.

Despite this method being often written off as a 'lazy' approach to teaching, this week I've been showing 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' with an accompanying worksheet and received positive results from the students in both focus and work ethic.

The choice of movie is key. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an imaginative movie and there are many objective discussion questions that can be created out of the first 45 minutes of the movie.

I'm interested to know what movies were also effective to show at the high school level??

Both interesting enough to keep the student's interest, while able to create several stimulating short answer/discussion type questions out of. (My higher level classes probably would feel Charlie & the Chocolate Factory is a bit childish).

Cheers & thanks in advance!

Offline crw15

• Waygookin
Re: Interesting Movies to Show in Class - to stimulate conversation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
Last year I showed 'The Truman Show' to my after school classes and they really liked it. It really sparked conversation and got them thinking outside the box.

But I too would like a few other recommendations. I'd like to show a fun movie after exams, but one that they can actually take something away from.

Offline sweet_potato

• Super Waygook
Re: Interesting Movies to Show in Class - to stimulate conversation
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
I did this with my low level elementary afterschool class.... I showed them "How to Train Your Dragon" and I paused the movie after every significant event and asked them questions. It really got them listening to the English rather than just reading subtitles. I gave them a mark for every right answer, and at the end of the movie, the kid with most marks got a small prize. It was good! They really liked it!