June 20, 2018, 12:23:04 AM

Author Topic: Funny / naive things you used to believe.  (Read 24975 times)

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Funny / naive things you used to believe.
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
I used to think ghosts were make believe stories just to scare kids. Not so much now.

Don't worry. They definitely are make believe.  :D
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »
I used to think ghosts were make believe stories just to scare kids. Not so much now.

The one I met would strongly disagree with you.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2012, 08:17:28 AM »

I'm sure it would if it really existed. Perhaps you could speak for it like a "medium" and we could have a lovely chat.  ;)

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »
Have you felt or heard "ghosts"/spirits?
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline lauren elizabeth

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »
I still believe my stuffed animals have feelings and refuse to throw them out or get rid of them.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2012, 10:34:37 AM »
I used to think you should fully run your battery down in your iPod or phone before recharging it, or it'd lose some of its capacity.

You mean that's not true?!  :o

I thought that was the reason my phone batteries lost capacity over time and eventually had to be replaced.

Or is it only one kind of battery?

Offline peasgoodnonsuch

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
I still believe my stuffed animals have feelings and refuse to throw them out or get rid of them.

Me TOO! I still have a hard time getting rid of them...just a little bit...I blame Jim Henson's the Christmas Toy and my older sister.

My sister also convinced me that I was an alien for a brief period of time. I mean, there are very few pictures of my infancy and I couldn't remember being born so...it kind of made sense!

She also convinced me that acorn squash came from acorns and that the lonely old man down the street was a kidnapper/rapist. Oh big sisters...

When I was little, I used to worry that we were all actually on TV and that we were being watched just like we watch people on TV. Years later, when the Truman Show came out I just may have renewed my internal conspiracy theory...just a bit  :-[ Honestly, I do feel like I'm being watched sometimes. Hmm  ::)

After watching a Beautiful Mind I was also filled with fear that my entire life is an illusion and all of my friends are made up and I'm really bonkers.

Golly, reading this makes me sound less like I was once filled with naivete and wonder and more like a natural born paranoid conspiracy theorist, haha!

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »
Have you felt or heard "ghosts"/spirits?

Just once; I didn't know she hung around there but her presence was well known (in an old, old mansion) by the regular staff. My sister has seen a lot more.

I'm sure it would if it really existed. Perhaps you could speak for it like a "medium" and we could have a lovely chat.  ;)

No thanks! Not going anywhere near that room again!  :o

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2012, 08:32:01 AM »
I've experienced and heard "spirits" before too, that's only why I asked.

You may want to get checked for schizophrenic-related issues. Just a suggestion.

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
Quote from: lauren elizabeth on Yesterday at 10:12:36 am

Me TOO! I still have a hard time getting rid of them...just a little bit...I blame Jim Henson's the Christmas Toy and my older sister.

Essentrially they do have feelings - in your mind.  By getting rid of them your are letting go of a part of yourself that harbours such feelings and you simply a\do not want to kill / let go of those feelings.  As long as you're not gone into pathalogical fantasy or delusion, this is fine. 

WIIIIIIILLLLLSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

;D

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »
I've experienced and heard "spirits" before too, that's only why I asked.

You may want to get checked for schizophrenic-related issues. Just a suggestion.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I felt a ghost once so I am mad. I think you jest.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
Yes, I jest, but not entirely. If you keep having experiences, though, you may want to check yourself in, can't hurt, you're probably harmless though ;). There is no fine line between mad and sane. We all exist on some point in between extreme schizophrenia and extreme skeptic. Openness to all possibilities - to - openness to no possibilities. Most fall somewhere in between. Not my words, though, from "The Believing Brain". It's an amazing book that talks about all of this and is so relevant to this topic, I think everyone needs to read it.

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2012, 08:18:25 PM »
Yes, I jest, but not entirely. If you keep having experiences, though, you may want to check yourself in, can't hurt, you're probably harmless though ;). There is no fine line between mad and sane. We all exist on some point in between extreme schizophrenia and extreme skeptic. Openness to all possibilities - to - openness to no possibilities. Most fall somewhere in between. Not my words, though, from "The Believing Brain". It's an amazing book that talks about all of this and is so relevant to this topic, I think everyone needs to read it.

Sounds like a great book, but I won't be reading it for the suggestions you offer, ha ha. I had that experience many ... er .. 12ish ... years ago. It was an isolated incident but one I will never forget. She really didn't want me in 'her' room.

I was doing some summer work while at Uni. It was a hot summer's day, and the heavy curtains on the high sash windows were almost closed, letting a slither of light into the empty office which highlighted the swirls of dust in the air as I cleaned. So it was a little cooler in there than outside in the sun. I felt a little odd, stood there for a minute as the vacuum whined, then continued cleaning. After maybe 10 or 15 seconds more I felt very, very cold and the hairs on my neck actually stood up. I then 'felt' (not heard or saw) a woman tell me to "get out, Get Out, GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT" so I dropped the machine and left. I walked down the hallway, down the stairs and out into the bright sunlight, walking along a path, lined with trees so the sunshine dappled in my vision, as I searched for where I thought my brother - in charge there - probably was.

I found him, drinking coffee as usual, and he gave me a strange look and said "Wanna coffee?" I said "Yeah, please". He poured me one and asked what was up. After I explained he said "Oh yeah, we've all (the permanent staff) had that. She lived here when it was a family's mansion (in the 18th century, but it's still called 'The Mansion' by the staff) and was thrown or fell from a balcony. I just ignore her as she can't do anything to me." I said "Well it's not worth 6 quid an hour, you do it" to which he agreed.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »
You're a very creative person. Do you have an artistic/creative outlet? Just curious.

Offline veroki

• Explorer
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
When I was super young, for some reason I thought that salt and pepper were opposites. If you added too much of one, you could fix it by adding some of the other... Can't even imagine where I picked up that idea.

Offline rwesthoff

• Newgookin
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
Growing up, my father used to watch A LOT of shows on the History Channel. All of the old time clips from the 1940's and older movies pretty much became the never-ending backdrop for my childhood. This allowed me to believe that:

1) Before the 1950's, the world had no color. Everything was in black and white.

2) People walked faster back then. (I later learned that the film speed was a culprit)

Offline tinkerbellmaggie

• Veteran
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »
I used to believe that you have 2 food-pipes from your mouth, both draining into your stomach: 1 for solids, one for liquids. I thought that the two where somehow separated at the entrance to the throat (if you had solid food and drink in your mouth simultaneously.) I thought that when people spluttered and coughed after drinking or eating something that went down their windpipe and they said that it "went down the wrong pipe" (well, that's what my parents used to say at any rate) that they meant that the solids had entered the liquid pipe or the other way around. I believed this until I was about 14 or 15 and I learned otherwise in biology class. How is it that I am a PhD candidate again?  :blank:

I thought the exact same thing and also due to hearing adults say 'Whoops, must've gone down the wrong way.'   I bet that is a common one, I think I thought that was true well into my early teens...

I believed this too!

Even though I am the oldest and there are plenty of photos documenting my birth I used to believe (partly encouraged by my younger siblings) that I was a changling or adopted. Yikes!

Offline Gansie

• Veteran
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
1) Before the 1950's, the world had no color. Everything was in black and white.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that.  ;) ;D

Offline rocketeerjoe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »

I used to be a ghost skeptic until I came across one. There simply was NO other explanation. I was troubled by it until I came to the conclusion that we don't really know what ghosts are. They might be dead people. Or they could be people just walking around in another dimension that for whatever reason becomes visible at certain times. Or maybe they are dead people visiting from another dimension. Either way, quantum mechanics could explain it one day so don't discount the possibility. It could be there is a logical explanation for ghosts so entirely past our ability to understand and limited science that we just haven't even conceived of it.

There's more we learn every day. They made an entire cel of bacteria out of RAW MATERIALS last year. They created life in a lab from scratch for the first time. Didn't make the headlines but I was floored by it. Computing power increases exponentially every year far beyond what we ever thought possible. And our theories on FTL possibilities change constantly between all the newfound knowledge we get when we discover previously unknown particles.

Magic as a concept is just things that seem amazing without explanation. Just imagine how much magic is out there and how much awaits us.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »

I used to be a ghost skeptic until I came across one. There simply was NO other explanation. I was troubled by it until I came to the conclusion that we don't really know what ghosts are. They might be dead people. Or they could be people just walking around in another dimension that for whatever reason becomes visible at certain times. Or maybe they are dead people visiting from another dimension. Either way, quantum mechanics could explain it one day so don't discount the possibility. It could be there is a logical explanation for ghosts so entirely past our ability to understand and limited science that we just haven't even conceived of it.

:o

Anyone who believes they can talk to ghosts, can predict the future, possess psychic powers etc should feel free to take up the psychic challenge - prove it and you can win $1m! http://news.discovery.com/human/1-million-psychic-challenge-110822.html

Can't prove it? I don't believe it. Simple. You can imaginatively speculate about alternate dimensions and ghosts slipping in and out of them. All I can say is, you (or perhaps the people who made the films you've been watching) have a very strong imagination.

There are some good explanations here for what you saw. http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/afterlife/ghost2.htm

I've seen weird stuff too. I read up on it. Turns out it was sleep paralysis. It's frightening when it happens, and it still does happen to me sometimes, but at least I know that it's all in my mind.

Much like with religious belief, it is very difficult to persuade someone that the paranormal things they have been "seeing" are not real. People want to believe in ghosts and other such magic. They want to believe so hard that they respond angrily when you tell them it was likely just in their minds.

Just apply Occam's razor to it. What's more likely, that there are spirits visiting from another dimension who slip into ours and suddenly start reflecting or producing light (which is how we see them) for a short time, perhaps they even have a ghost society, or that the human brain is complicated and sometimes perceives things to be there which aren't and, especially with waking dreams, simply makes some things up? The second option is clearly the most likely one, so you should probably believe that.

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/