August 16, 2018, 11:26:38 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Funny / naive things you used to believe.  (Read 25257 times)

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
Funny / naive things you used to believe.
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
When I was about six I heard that when creatures die they go up to heaven in the sky.  So I used to kill spiders, bury them and then come back the next day to dig them up and see if they had disappeared.  I believed in such things in a very magical way and was desperate with the neophyte's desire to witness new and marvelous things.  Whenever a tooth came out and was put under my pillow for the tooth fairies, I stayed awake as long as I possibly could, slowly lifting up the pillow every few minutes to try and catch the tooth fairies turning the tooth into that wonderful twenty pence piece that would be there the next morning.  At Christmas I daren't sleep for fear of missing out on seeing Father Christmas sneaking into my window (no chimney) to bring gifts and then flying off on his sleigh.  Sleep always won out however, much to my dismay.

At infant's school the older kids told us that in a strip of woodland we could see outside the schoolground there were elf like creatures that lived there.  We were told that if we collected these sort of seed husks that littered the floor which had a hole in each end and blew through them together, we would be able to see the creatures so we all stood in a line facing the strip of trees and blew and our imaginations would take over when we squinted at a sudden tree shaken by the wind or rustle in a bush.  Also on my street the older kids told us that there was a hole in their garden and if you waited there long enough and wanted to see it, a red hand would appear through the top of the hole.

When I was at primary school, we had a local vicar come in and talk to us about Bog or God as the entity is more popularly known.  After, our teacher told us that we all had a Soul and that it was inside our bodies and that it was clean and white and pure and whenever we did anything bad a black spot would appear on our soul and when we died it depended on how clean our souls were whether we would get into heaven or not.

I was very surprised and intrigued to know this new thing.  For years onwards I actually believed my soul was an organ inside my chest like my heart and that it was white and doing bad things made it go black.  I wasn't sure where this soul was, but I thought if my heart was on the left, then this soul thing must be on the right, or perhaps just next to my heart on the left side.  Anyway one day I asked someone (an older relative perhaps) where exactly my soul was and how could I find out how white it as and they let me know that my soul wasn't actually an organ like my heart how I imagined it was.

I also up until about the age of 12 believed in Bog / God.  Whenever I went fishing with my Dad and it was cloudy, I really thought there was a country up there with beings living on top of the clouds and it was fascinating to imagine them up there, what they were doing and what they looked like. (Imagery inspired by old Harry Harrenhousen films.)  It's funny how I used to only think about this God when I was potentially in trouble or wanted something for Christmas.  If I was late home (Dad would be angry) I would put my hands together and pray to God that I wouldn't get in trouble.  Didn't work that often...

I also at about the same age started to feel embarrassed by the thought that older relatives whom had died and gone to heaven and who were always able to watch over us might be watching me when I was on the toilet or doing other things that boys start doing around that age.

In my country an old wives's tale is that if you see a magpie you should undertake a series of actions which vary depending on the person telling, such as wink at him three times and say 'hello captain,' spit over your left shoulder and salute him or throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder.  If you saw a magpie and performed your preferred act, you could name a wish and have good luck that day.  My family were going on our annual caravan holiday to Weymouth.  We had packed everything into the car and my younger brother and sister and I were feeling very down as the sky was a thick reef of dark cloud and Dad said that if it didn't clear up by the time we got there, we would probably turn back as the weather would be bad all week and it wouldn't be worth it.  Just as he turned the ignition over and we pulled out of the driveway, I saw a magpie on the lawn and couldn't spit, but saluted him in my mind and whispered 'hello captain.'  That very, that very instant the sky overhead cleared and the sun broke through and we had good weather all week.  There was no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the magpie had come through for us.  We got to the caravan site only to find it was booked.  My Dad came and told us it looked like we wouldn't get a spot and whilst he and my Mum were out of the car, my siblings and I all prayed that there would be a spot for us and literally a minute later, Dad and Mum came back and said that another family had just cancelled!

Then I became a teenager and cynicism quickly kicked in and the magical faded from awareness. 

The only magical thinking I have now is that I won't get good hands at blackjack unless I'm smoking and have an alcoholic drink on hand and it's true; I never win when I don't smoke or don't have a drink as I'm not in the 'zone.'  And all of my good wins have been when I am smoking and drinking.  At the same time I'm well aware that an objectiver observer recording and analysing my results with or sans cigs and booze would probably find no statistical bias in that regard.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:55:27 AM by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

Offline DejaVu

• Super Waygook
Re: Funny / naive things you used to believe.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »
The giant stuffed animals in my closet are alive.  The only way I survived the ordeal was pretending to be their friends.  I wonder if they still think we're pals.

And I had the same relationship with God.  I wonder if He still thinks we're pals.

However, I still believe in some magical theories.

Offline Spongeblob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
I'm still not grown-up.  I still believe in many magical things.

I believe we can build flying machines and go into space, make things invisible, turn dark places into light, speak to someone on the other end of the world and maybe in time live forever if our AI masters allow us.    :D

Oh, magic is real.  It's not the science you see.  It's the science you feel.

Anything dreamed can be seen and since seeing is believing all things must inevitably come to be as envisioned.
(Skips away to his cave chanting obscene sailor limericks while stroking his nasal hairs thoughtfully.)

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
Stuff.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:20:32 PM by madison79 »
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Daejeon

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
This topic was unlocked as the idea could make for an interesting lesson.  We would like to remind you the topic is "Funny / naive things you used to believe." Anything going against the terms and conditions of Waygook.org will be moderated relative to the breach.

Please view the terms and conditions here : http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2425.0.html

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
To make it also releveant to living in Korea, I also had a grade 2 elementary class for whom I'd draw pictures of an imaginary town where my house was in relation to Harry Potter's.  They actually believed me and asked me many questions about it when I told them I grew up with him, was in the same class at (before hogwart's) elementary school and used to go over to his house for dinner.

I used to use a glove puppet for my kindy class last year and the kids would treat 'Mr Frog' just like he was a real creature and had feelings ha ha.

Offline Gilligan

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
Naive things I used to believe....
1. That looks didn't matter.  Qualifications were everything.
2. That Korea is conservative.
3. That Korean food is spicy.
... OH.. and so much more in politics, religion, etc....
to grow up is such an enlightening experience...

Offline WorkingTitle3484

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »
Regarding life, I used to live in a rush, as if my life was going to end at 30 (years of adolescent recklessness that some of us know far too well).  Eating while driving, speaking while sliding, power-muscling my way through bustling NYC streets...now, it's way different.  I take my time.  Yeah, life is short, so it's important to enjoy every second of every moment instead of trying to do as much as possible.

Regarding Korea, I used to think that I had to lock in with the group-think and be part of the group.  I paid my dues eating kimchi daily, going out to all of the dinners, two-handing all drinks, accepting all invites, and generally trying to be all the Korean I could be.  Then I realized, I'm never going to be accepted into the group, even with as much Korean I can speak, what I know about the culture, how to deal with Ks, yaddayaddayadda.  So I'm mindful of my words and respectful with my actions, as I always have been and will continue to be, but I'm not going out of my way to be part of the group, mainly because it's so non-Korean exclusive. 

I'm not sore about this at all, it is what it is.  It's more like wiping those morning boogies out of your eyes, and now you can see everything so clearly.  Clarity has popped out its lovely head again, and I couldn't be happier.  Life becomes simple.  and easy...simpleasy in fact.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:54:49 PM by WorkingTitle3484 »
You get what you give :)

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:48 AM »
One of my earliest memories is from my 5th birthday party. I remember thinking that 5 was the ultimate age and that I would never ever get any older. That I was all grown up. :D

Well, 20 years  have gone by, but I think 5 was a pretty awesome age to be.

Remember that saying "don't step on a crack or you'll break your mother's back?"
I still avoid cracks in sidewalks, hard habit to break.
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

Offline ovid

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »
"Man forever traded wonder for science"

It's funny this topic came up because I think one of the most fascinating things about past history was that sense of wonder and limitless beliefs.   :'(

We've become more pragmatic and "realistic", the doubting Thomas' of the world, so to speak.

I remember when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade and mailing letters to Santa.  It was addressed to:

Santa Claus
North Pole

I was surprised to get a letter back and then a little confused when I saw the return address from Santa's Village in Anaheim, California (not the North Pole).  Now that I think about it... it was really nice of the postman to forward my letter to Santa's Village.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
Santa Claus

North Pole

:)

pizza hamburger

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
Not a thing I believed, but I had a fifth grade class last year that believed dinosaurs were still alive and walking around in Africa somewhere because they saw a big model dinosaur in a museum and thought it was a stuffed animal.  No clue where Africa came from.  I found this out when I asked "what animals do you think live in Africa" and, among lions, tigers, elephants, that sort of thing, I got "T-Rex."

I asked their homeroom teacher (whose English was superb) about it, and he asked them about it in Korean, and apparently, they completely believe dinosaurs still walk in Africa.  A few kids actually wanted to go to Africa and see a dinosaur.  Neither of us ever told them they were wrong.  We just gave them dinosaur books to read, and they discovered the truth in the books.   Still,  I hope they turn out to be right about that dinosaur thing and we were wrong all along.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »
No way!  The dinosaurs would slowly repopulate and wipe us great apes out!

And they'd probably take over the internet and steal all of the cheese and salami, perhaps (shudder) even all the beer, cigs and coffee.

Please please, let us all pray that the dinosaurs really are extinct.

pizza hamburger

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »
Obviously, unicorns keep the dinosaur population in check.

When kids ask me if unicorns are real, I say yes, but that they don't have horns.

If the kid doesn't get the joke, I draw a unicorn, then erase the horn.

Always funny.

Offline rookiewaygook

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
My boyfriend believed that just until recently - if a white cloud and a black cloud collided, it would "crash" (thunder & lightning) and make a grey cloud.

He took his father's word (from when he was a child), over mine for the longest time.

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »
Great story OP. You write very well.

"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Offline leporello

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
At infant's school the older kids told us that in a strip of woodland we could see outside the schoolground there were elf like creatures that lived there.  We were told that if we collected these sort of seed husks that littered the floor which had a hole in each end and blew through them together, we would be able to see the creatures so we all stood in a line facing the strip of trees and blew and our imaginations would take over when we squinted at a sudden tree shaken by the wind or rustle in a bush.  Also on my street the older kids told us that there was a hole in their garden and if you waited there long enough and wanted to see it, a red hand would appear through the top of the hole.

You have a strange, strange mind, my friend...Are you sure you weren't smokin' a little something before you began this post? :P

Seriously though, your writing and particularly your description of the magical, slightly skewed world of childhood is very good... You haven't ever thought of creative writing?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:41:11 PM by Ectofuego »

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
No, no herbal inspiration, it's all true.

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »

i once believed a person running for President on the motto of Change lol. 
I once believed that Land of the Free meant all things. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:25:55 PM by madison79 »
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
I used to believe an old wive's tale that one should not go swimming after eating, but should wait 30 minutes before going into the water. Otherwise one could get a really bad stomache cramp and possibly drown.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca