December 16, 2017, 03:38:26 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429523 times)

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #360 on: September 25, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
We get to leave at 3 today  8)
I don't.  I have to stay for my regular last-class-on-a-Friday-8th-period.  :(
How annoying to have that every Friday!

If I don't have my teachers class, I'm finished at 11:20 on Fridays. We haven't had teachers class yet this semester and I'm keeping very quiet about it ;)

I don't finish until 6 today......luckily I don't start until 3 8)
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #361 on: September 25, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »
For as much as people rave about the Korean public transportation system, I still haven't made up my mind about it, despite having been here nearly four full years now.

Yes, it's super cheap. Yes, it's convenient, and reasonably punctual.

HOWEVER.

There are apparently few things I hate more on this Earth than being jammed nut-to-butt into an over-full bus. All my time here doesn't seem to have rid me of that Western (American?) need for personal space. My mind still very much wants my personal bubble, even though it's been nearly four years since I could claim any expectations of having one.

I hate the bus drivers that keep stopping to let people on, even though the bus clearly wasn't even made to accommodate the number of people that were  on as of three stops prior.

I hate the ajummahs with their pointy elbows and complete lack of hesitation to wield them with reckless abandon.

I hate the people that take the aisle seat, leaving the window seat open next to them and forcing anyone who wants to sit down to climb over them. (Aside: Seriously, what's up with that? I didn't take public transportation much in the US, so I can't say it's just a Korean thing, but I'd have thought people prefer window seats. Even on a charter bus I took for a school teachers' trip once, everyone but me sat in aisle seats despite there being enough seats for everyone to have two seats to themselves. At one point, the principal fell asleep and slumped over towards the window, audibly thumping his head on the wall. I could barely contain my amusement, and thought "If you had been sitting in the window seat...").

I hate the stupid obnoxious high schoolers that fill up the bus and then don't give up their seats for the thousand year old farmers or pregnant women.

To get home from work, I have to take a southbound bus. However, nearly every time I get on the bus, it's full of kids from the all-boys middle school up the street. This week, I figured I'd get on the bus at the northbound bus stop, because it only has one more stop going north before turning around to head south, where it has two stops, then it's at the stop I was using before. That way I'd be able to get on a nice empty bus and have my choice of seats before the bus got to the middle school and filled up with kids.

However, the bus driver didn't seem at all happy with that idea. For two consecutive days, he asked me where I was going after i got on, and then yelled at me after finding out I was going south, rather than getting off at the last remaining northbound bus stop. A friend told me that might be because it counts as a different route or something and should involve an extra fare, but that doesn't make it any less irritating. I have to go back to using the southbound bus stop (which is further from my school, incidentally) to wait longer to get on the exact same bus, which will be full rather than empty.

Ugh. If the work situation was a bit more stable here, I'd be putting some effort into getting my Korean license and a car for my commute. However, having almost had to leave the country on two different occasions because of cutbacks or hiring practice changes, I'm worried I'll suddenly find myself on the verge of moving and in possession of a friggin' car that I'll have to find something to do with.  Plus, Korean traffic terrifies me.  :laugh:

Okay. I'm done. I don't hate it here, I promise. I just really, really hate crowded buses.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:42:51 PM by Mister Tim »

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #362 on: September 25, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »
For as much as people rave about the Korean public transportation system, I still haven't made up my mind about it, despite having been here nearly four full years now.

Yes, it's super cheap. Yes, it's convenient, and reasonably punctual.

HOWEVER.

There are apparently few things I hate more on this Earth than being jammed nut-to-butt into an over-full bus. All my time here doesn't seem to have rid me of that Western (American?) need for personal space. My mind still very much wants my personal bubble, even though it's been nearly four years since I could claim any expectations of having one.

I hate the bus drivers that keep stopping to let people on, even though the bus clearly wasn't even made to accommodate the number of people that were  on as of three stops prior.

I hate the ajummahs with their pointy elbows and complete lack of hesitation to wield them with reckless abandon.

I hate the people that take the aisle seat, leaving the window seat open next to them and forcing anyone who wants to sit down to climb over them. (Aside: Seriously, what's up with that? I didn't take public transportation much in the US, so I can't say it's just a Korean thing, but I'd have thought people prefer window seats. Even on a charter bus I took for a school teachers' trip once, everyone but me sat in aisle seats despite there being enough seats for everyone to have two seats to themselves. At one point, the principal fell asleep and slumped over towards the window, audibly thumping his head on the wall. I could barely contain my amusement, and thought "If you had been sitting in the window seat...").

I hate the stupid obnoxious high schoolers that fill up the bus and then don't give up their seats for the thousand year old farmers or pregnant women.

To get home from work, I have to take a southbound bus. However, nearly every time I get on the bus, it's full of kids from the all-boys middle school up the street. This week, I figured I'd get on the bus at the northbound bus stop, because it only has one more stop going north before turning around to head south, where it has two stops, then it's at the stop I was using before. That way I'd be able to get on a nice empty bus and have my choice of seats before the bus got to the middle school and filled up with kids.

However, the bus driver didn't seem at all happy with that idea. For two consecutive days, he asked me where I was going after i got on, and then yelled at me after finding out I was going south, rather than getting off at the last remaining northbound bus stop. A friend told me that might be because it counts as a different route or something and should involve an extra fare, but that doesn't make it any less irritating. I have to go back to using the southbound bus stop (which is further from my school, incidentally) to wait longer to get on the exact same bus, which will be full rather than empty.

Ugh. If the work situation was a bit more stable here, I'd be putting some effort into getting my Korean license and a car for my commute. However, having almost had to leave the country on two different occasions because of cutbacks or hiring practice changes, I'm worried I'll suddenly find myself on the verge of moving and in possession of a friggin' car that I'll have to find something to do with.  Plus, Korean traffic terrifies me.  :laugh:

Okay. I'm done. I don't hate it here, I promise. I just really, really hate crowded buses.

+1
I could have written this haha

I think the thing is that maybe the public transport is good in the big cities but here in the provinces it's all infrequent, overcrowded buses  :cry:

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #363 on: September 25, 2015, 01:56:25 PM »
+1
I could have written this haha

I think the thing is that maybe the public transport is good in the big cities but here in the provinces it's all infrequent, overcrowded buses  :cry:
In my province the buses are frequent and not crowded (in fact they are often empty).

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #364 on: September 25, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »
Well pin a rose on your nose.  :laugh:

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #365 on: September 25, 2015, 09:49:47 PM »
Same here even in the regional cities.  Buses run weird.  They meander all over the place so it takes 3 to 4 times as long as it should to get to places.  Maybe that's some kind of lobbying effort to make the buses inefficient.  Who knows?  Anyways, over an hour of commute versus 20 minutes by car (well getting close to 30 somedays because of the lame increase in traffic and dip sticks who like to get in front of you and drive 30 when the speed limit is clearly 50 km/hr and then selfishly make you miss the light.  There's apparently no such thing as a fast lane here.).  Anyways, it forced me to get a car and drive.  I hate driving here but after 3 years or so, I guess I'm finally beginning to tolerate it though I still have to suppress the urge to want to flip people off once in a while. 

I still bus it when I go up to Seoul.  No way, I'd ever be dumb enough to try and drive up there.  I'll bus it to the next city and hop the bullet train though I haven't been to Seoul for months. 

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2015, 12:46:26 PM »
No school next Friday!  Hanguel Day!
 8) :cheesy: :azn:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #367 on: October 02, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »

And no classes Tues/Wed/Thurs!  Midterm exams!  ;D

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »

I have 3 schools and only one of them has midterms, thus I get 1 half day, and another half day of watching students' independent films...should be interesting... All my schools have taken the Thursday off so I get another 4 day weekend! I love autumn in Korea ^_^

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2015, 01:05:51 PM »

I have 3 schools and only one of them has midterms, thus I get 1 half day, and another half day of watching students' independent films...should be interesting... All my schools have taken the Thursday off so I get another 4 day weekend! I love autumn in Korea ^_^

I switched schools this August, and this job only has me at one high school--it's amazing!

We don't have class Tues-Thurs, and then we have the Friday holiday.  The following week Wed-Fri my students are all off doing volunteer work, apparently. Octobers are great! :laugh:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »

I switched schools this August, and this job only has me at one high school--it's amazing!

We don't have class Tues-Thurs, and then we have the Friday holiday.  The following week Wed-Fri my students are all off doing volunteer work, apparently. Octobers are great! :laugh:
I would take a pay cut if they'd put me back in my high school. *cries* Those boys were my life haha

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »

I would take a pay cut if they'd put me back in my high school. *cries* Those boys were my life haha

The position cuts in my county were so odd this August.

They eliminated the boys middle school position, which traveled to two other middle schools.
Eliminated an elementary school position with 4 schools total.
Eliminated MY elementary school position that has just been turned into a "rainbow school" (additional funding for good academic growth) as well as my two travel elementary schools.
...And re-opened this high school position that hasn't been filled since 2010.  Without any travel schools.  So weird.  :huh:

Offline okapifire

• Veteran
« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2015, 03:15:22 PM »

I'm at an elementary school so midterms aren't happening yet. I had just one class today though because all morning was a practice run for Sports Day. And then Sports Day will happen for real next Tuesday.  It's weird that they're doing it in the middle of the week instead of right before Hangeul Day.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #373 on: October 02, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
ITS ALREADY MIDTERMS!??!??

At my high school, yup!

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #374 on: October 02, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
Discovered an old tax bill from my last last school this morning while trying to apply for a credit card.

The bill is from one year of work and started gaining interest from 2011. A can of your choice, from my tuna and spam chuseok gift pack, to anyone who can guess how much it is now.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2015, 05:14:24 PM »
As I was getting on the city bus today, I had to deal with the usual pushy-shoviness, complete inability to queue properly, and utter disregard for one's fellow man. That was annoying, of course, but it's old hat by now. I just join the fray and try to shoulder my way on while there are still empty seats.

Today, however, some f*cking ajeossi took umbrage with my shouldering, and gave me an extra push and shouted at me. Well guess what? F*ck that.

I unleashed a torrent of angry American profanity that'd have made a call girl blush. Nobody understood a word of it (well, maybe a few of the F-bombs), but the ajeossi sure seemed to calm down in a hurry, and the people around us trying to shove their way in hung back for a second until I got on.

It was dumb, unnecessary, and immature of me, I know. I don't care. It felt good to let loose like that for once. I'm sick and tired of being shoved around like I don't exist. I'm never going to get physical with anyone over it or anything, but I'm a Navy vet. Sailors swear. It's just what we do. It's just what I did.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:16:37 PM by Mister Tim »

Offline oceancloud

• Veteran
  • 헐~
« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2015, 05:33:05 PM »

Today, however, some f*cking ajeossi took umbrage with my shouldering, and gave me an extra push and shouted at me. Well guess what? F*ck that.

I unleashed a torrent of angry American profanity that'd have made a call girl blush. Nobody understood a word of it (well, maybe a few of the F-bombs), but the ajeossi sure seemed to calm down in a hurry, and the people around us trying to shove their way in hung back for a second until I got on.

잘햇어.   I generally don't like when people who are older think they can just treat younger people like shit.   Confucianism is sometimes warped by koreans into despotism

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #377 on: October 05, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
Screaming on the bus?  I saw something similiar yesterday.  I was on the bike path near the river and sometimes, these @$$ hats drive their car on it when the signs clearly say pedestrian and bike only.  Anyways, a Korean man on a bicycle started screaming in a rage at the guy driving on the path.  It was pretty awesome.  He was doing what I felt like doing on occasion.   8)

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #378 on: October 05, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
ITS ALREADY MIDTERMS!??!??

Yessirree.  Hard to believe.  School two is this week - wed and thurs (half days - maybe).  School one has classes but have cancelled all my first grade classes to prepare them for the exams.  Two classes mon and 3 classes tues.  Friday is holiday.  Next week, school one is having their mid terms and they're the nicest school I've had in years.  Next Mon and Tues, I can take the days off. Woo hoo!  If it doesn't rain, it'll be a sweet time to be outdoors.   

October is the best month in Korea weatherwise. 

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #379 on: October 05, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »
I just need ten minutes of peace. I hate when the kids come in ten minutes early and just yell for ten minutes straight. God I'm getting so sick of this
That bothers me as well.  I tell them they are not allowed to come until it is five minutes before the start of class. If they come before that, they must stay in the hall.