December 17, 2017, 08:35:56 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430150 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #840 on: June 02, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
Does anyone else ever feel like their butt is melding to their chair when desk warming?  :huh:

No, because I'm Korean and we are born to be odorless (no sweat). :wink:

My pointless rambling for the day: I secretly love it when plastic Korean girls side-eye me. Psh, I know you're jealous.

Oh, I meant achy/sore butt that feels like a pancake at the end of the day.  Lol not swampass  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WELL THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE PICKED A PICTURE OF A DRY PANCAKE DUH but my statement still stands. Koreans do not have flat / achy / sore butts, and neither do we have sweaty butts. Koreans are perfect. Koreans are unique. I love Korea and Korea loves me.

I think it's time for me to go home and take a nap.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #841 on: June 03, 2016, 08:15:55 AM »
Today's Korea google doodle led me to some whimsical artwork. "이성자"

Makes me think of cotton candy and sprinkles and Trix yogurt.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #842 on: June 03, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
Off to the bank to get some money since I won't be able to for the next 3 days.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #843 on: June 03, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
:evil: same. so ridiculous

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #844 on: June 03, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »
Had a grade 3 and a grade 5 open class today with a total of 25 parents there. All of them gave me 5 out of 5 on every matrix. BOOM.

Now, let's see if this can post correctly.

Offline lazerbullet

• Veteran
  • Welcome to ghost time
« Reply #845 on: June 03, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »
I missed watermelon time in the staff room after lunch. Damn ... :cry: :cry:

YoungMin

« Reply #846 on: June 03, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »
Had a grade 3 and a grade 5 open class today with a total of 25 parents there. All of them gave me 5 out of 5 on every matrix. BOOM.

Now, let's see if this can post correctly.

Your school give you feedback? Well I'll be damned.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #847 on: June 03, 2016, 09:32:03 PM »
:evil: same. so ridiculous
I went at lunch time. :)

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #848 on: June 04, 2016, 01:53:00 AM »
I'm filling in for a friend at his hagwon while he's on holiday. The nice thing is we both work for the same company, just different branches, so I know how everything is run. June 1 was the beginning of the new semester and I gave out diaries the school publishes to the students today. It's the exact same book as they used in the spring semester. They have to turn it in every Monday and explain what they did during the week or over the weekend. Nothing is different. This one boy in the lowest level class seems completely confused though. He's not a new student or anything, but for some reason can't figure out what to do with this new diary. I'm trying to explain to him that it's due every Monday and that June 6 is a holiday so he needs to turn it in on June 13. He's sitting there, looking completely lost for some reason. He keeps saying, "Wednesday homework?" "Friday homework?" I keep saying, "No, no, Monday, Monday." This is going on for a few minutes before the ten other students in the class just start screaming at this kid in frustration. Half of them are shouting "NO! MONDAY!" The other half are shouting, "아니야! 월요일!" I felt bad for this boy, but I wonder what's going on in his head that he doesn't recognize that the book and assignment is exactly the same from the spring semester. Maybe he never did his homework.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #849 on: June 09, 2016, 08:26:57 AM »
Pidge checkin' out dat fresh meat :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The posts were so polite and genuine too! Definitely a skilled fresh meat trawlin' playa.. lol

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #850 on: June 09, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
I guess this doesn't belong in the rant/vent thread, but I just think it's strange that my co-teacher wears an outfit for two or three days in a row now.  She used to rotate every day.  She obviously has more than one outfit, so why not alternate it?

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #851 on: June 09, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »
Pidge checkin' out dat fresh meat :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The posts were so polite and genuine too! Definitely a skilled fresh meat trawlin' playa.. lol

I've actually done the same thing and gone on a welcoming-kick before, so no hate.  But for some reason I saw the headers this morning in the main feed and it made me giggle. :laugh:

I guess this doesn't belong in the rant/vent thread, but I just think it's strange that my co-teacher wears an outfit for two or three days in a row now.  She used to rotate every day.  She obviously has more than one outfit, so why not alternate it?

This seems to be a thing in Asia, actually.  My roommate in college was Chinese, and I distinctly remember being semi-horrified that she would wear the same outfit for like 2 or 3 days in a row.  I later learned that it's simply cultural: if it's not dirty or smelly and doesn't need to get washed, what's the harm?

It made me realize that in the west with have this really ingrained fear of being "caught" wearing the same thing more than once.  I remember in middle school kids would like shame each other if someone wore a shirt twice in the same week.  Which, I actually find the western culture/mentality to be a bit silly and weird when you compare the two and think about it.  Like why do we shame people for that when the clothes are still clean/have only been worn once?  Plus, it ruins your wardrobe more quickly if you're constantly washing your clothes...

I don't wear full outfits multiple days in a row, but I like not having to worry about mixing and matching and being shamed for re-wearing something if I work it into a new outfit in the same week.  Especially when I went to my travel schools, sometimes I would wear a similar outfit or the same shirt or skirt on one Friday, and then coincidentally again next Friday.  Obviously for me it had been a week, but for that school it's what they saw me in previously.  In Asia, no one cares.  In America, people would point it out like it's a bad thing. 

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #852 on: June 09, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
I definitely don't wash my clothes after every wear, but I guess it is ingrained in me to rotate them.  I actually have an outfit rotating schedule that allows me to wear the same few outfits in one week to my different schools and never wear the same thing on the same day two weeks in a row to actually make it look like I have more clothes than I do.  I'm definitely doing this to avoid my own culturally inflicted shame of being seen in the same outfits.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #853 on: June 09, 2016, 10:40:45 AM »
I definitely don't wash my clothes after every wear, but I guess it is ingrained in me to rotate them.  I actually have an outfit rotating schedule that allows me to wear the same few outfits in one week to my different schools and never wear the same thing on the same day two weeks in a row to actually make it look like I have more clothes than I do.  I'm definitely doing this to avoid my own culturally inflicted shame of being seen in the same outfits.

I'm the same. Other than underwear I usually wear things more than once before they get washed (many more times if we're talking pants and skirts). My shirts are usually only one-time-wear in the summer when they get sweaty and stanky.
But I have also seen co-workers wear the same outfit two days in a row. But I think she was self-conscious about it because she made some comment about how it's her favourite outfit so she just wanted to wear it again.
Also, I think for adults, at a certain point, people assume that if you come into work with the same thing on two days in a row that you didn't go home the night before. Maybe your co-worker is just getting a lot of action and not going home to change in between.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #854 on: June 09, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »

I'm the same. Other than underwear I usually wear things more than once before they get washed (many more times if we're talking pants and skirts). My shirts are usually only one-time-wear in the summer when they get sweaty and stanky.
But I have also seen co-workers wear the same outfit two days in a row. But I think she was self-conscious about it because she made some comment about how it's her favourite outfit so she just wanted to wear it again.
Also, I think for adults, at a certain point, people assume that if you come into work with the same thing on two days in a row that you didn't go home the night before. Maybe your co-worker is just getting a lot of action and not going home to change in between.

Weird think to think about, isn't it?  How ingrained in us that "shame" is  :laugh:

About the not going home the night before; I highly doubt it.  In western culture, absolutely, but here in Asia it's pretty common to re-wear stuff.  I spoke with my roommate about it and she was baffled as to why Americans felt so strongly about at least rotating clothes for the sake of appearances.  It just wasn't a big deal if you wore the same shirt with different pants, or whatever. 

I've spoke with Korean friends about it, and Korea is generally the same.  I think the western habits are rubbing of nowadays, but that's more due to the desire to buy new new new all the time in Korea, and the fact that trends change very quickly.  It's not because there's shame in being considered "dirty" if you wear the same article of clothing, like in the west.

Edit: that's just my opinion/take on it.  I'm just musing aloud on the cultural difference because I think it's interesting. 

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #855 on: June 09, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »
I seriously wish.  I feel like she'd be less annoying.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #856 on: June 09, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »

Weird think to think about, isn't it?  How ingrained in us that "shame" is  :laugh:

About the not going home the night before; I highly doubt it.  In western culture, absolutely, but here in Asia it's pretty common to re-wear stuff.  I spoke with my roommate about it and she was baffled as to why Americans felt so strongly about at least rotating clothes for the sake of appearances.  It just wasn't a big deal if you wore the same shirt with different pants, or whatever. 

I've spoke with Korean friends about it, and Korea is generally the same.  I think the western habits are rubbing of nowadays, but that's more due to the desire to buy new new new all the time in Korea, and the fact that trends change very quickly.  It's not because there's shame in being considered "dirty" if you wear the same article of clothing, like in the west.

Edit: that's just my opinion/take on it.  I'm just musing aloud on the cultural difference because I think it's interesting. 

There was a girl in my class in high school who apparently thought it was "gross" to wear the same piece of clothing more than once a month, even if you washed it in between. :rolleyes: Okay, bitch, because I'm sure you're the one personally working your ass off to go buy shitty clothes from Abercrombie, Delia's, and Aeropostale. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I guess they match your shitty Oompa Loompa tan.

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #857 on: June 09, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »

Most of the time I plan my outfits for the week ahead... and put each outfit on it's own hanger. (Yip, my Sunday evenings are pretty wild.) As for not wearing the same thing on the same day two weeks in a row, in the past I didn't think about it until I realised I had been wearing the same pants or shirt or sweater (can't remember what it was) for maybe three weeks in a row at the same school :laugh:

I also make an effort not to wash things unless they are dirty. If I feel a bit "iffy" about a second wear, I'll save it for walking to the shops on the weekend. (Otherwise, a lot of Saturday is pajama time.) I'm sure most people are aware of the concept of "the chair" (the resting spot for second wear clothes, where you sling your handbag etc...). My chair always has something on it. It used to be in the kitchen, used for reaching high cupboards (I'm very short), but I couldn't manage my life without "the chair".
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #858 on: June 09, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »

Most of the time I plan my outfits for the week ahead... and put each outfit on it's own hanger. (Yip, my Sunday evenings are pretty wild.) As for not wearing the same thing on the same day two weeks in a row, in the past I didn't think about it until I realised I had been wearing the same pants or shirt or sweater (can't remember what it was) for maybe three weeks in a row at the same school :laugh:

I also make an effort not to wash things unless they are dirty. If I feel a bit "iffy" about a second wear, I'll save it for walking to the shops on the weekend. (Otherwise, a lot of Saturday is pajama time.) I'm sure most people are aware of the concept of "the chair" (the resting spot for second wear clothes, where you sling your handbag etc...). My chair always has something on it. It used to be in the kitchen, used for reaching high cupboards (I'm very short), but I couldn't manage my life without "the chair".

I have "the chair!" My mom used to nag me about it all the time and more recently I've tried to get by without it, but "the chair" ends up becoming "the foot of the bed" or "the floor." Luckily, "the chair" took me back.

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #859 on: June 09, 2016, 02:05:34 PM »
I have "the chair".  I hate it.  I think it is a terrible habit and I want to break it because I think it is unsightly.  At one time I tried using a coat rack because I think coat racks are pieces of furniture that gentlemen have.  I put coats on it instead of using it as my "chair". :cry: