December 17, 2017, 08:36:58 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430150 times)

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
she slapped me SO HARD that I fell down and I couldn't get up because I was in so much ****** pain. Then I got yelled at because apparently I upset her by not being charmed by her INSANE PHYSICAL ABUSE. Oh, and she's always covered in snot and blood because she picks her nose so often and so hard that she always has a nosebleed.

I love this thread so much  :laugh:

This is hands down the funniest anecdote I've read on here.  Hope you're ok now meep!!

Yeah, I'm okay now, thanks. It happens when I'm hella stressed, which is pretty much all the time.

she gave me a bloody handprint on my shirt today, but it's not the first time.

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
I once had a boy write that he had called his mom the previous week while at school so that she could bring him a pencil (because he'd forgotten his).

I asked him, "You didn't really do this, did you?"

He smiled, replying, "Yes, many times."

This boy is in grade 6.

Offline slothboy

• Waygookin
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »
How do you guys tackle the dreaded new board marker issue?

At the beginning they're super thick and take a heap of elbow grease to remove, but there's always some residue left behind that ends up staining the whole board. So you keep the old ones upside down and keep rotating them, but eventually they will all completely run out...so then what?

My CT keeps a pot of 5 upturned markers by the board, but this may also be a cost saving technique; my hagwon boss is a freak about the AC and will take any s***ty prospective student she can hustle!

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2015, 07:14:56 PM »

One of my 6th grade girls today screamed at me "선생님 이 게임 재미 없어!" (Teacher this game is boring!). I just pointed at the candy bag and she was immediately like "OKAY!"

ugh some of my 3rd grade girls have a habit of coming into the classroom and before they even say hello to me they just say "TEACHER GAME. GAME TEACHER. TEACHER GAME." over and over and over.

So then once we've finished the lesson i'll play a game with them and i can guarantee at least one of them is always like 'teacher, game....no'
3rd graders are evil. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Ugh.. don't let them speak to you in casual language. I'd be so pissed

Haha 'teacher' 'game' 'hello' and 'no' are probably the only english words most of my 3rd graders can speak :rolleyes:

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
it's fine to have a thread for 'pointless' things, but it will be locked if it descends into "things i hate about korea".

thanks for your co-operaton.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline CliffK

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
I try to time my arrival to the lunch room when I know that lunch ladies will be in the back preparing things. That way I can serve myself as much as I want.

True story: One time we were having lunch and they were having chicken wings. They were small little wings, mostly bones and very little meat, but I was excited. I was real hungry but out of respect for others I only took 5 of the little things. Next thing I know the lunch lady swoops on me from outta nowhere, has the serving tongs out and is removing 2 of the wings from my tray, putting them back into the pile. Guess she thought I  took too many. Lady I pay for that lunch and three bony little wings ain't gonna cut it for this big hungry fella.

Moral of the story- I get down there at the time when I know the lunch ladies are going to be in the back preparing stuff. I make sure to be real quiet when I'm serving myself. Sometimes they see me just as I'm finished putting the food on my plate and I see them come rushing from the back. I dip on outta there real quick, and start inhaling that food before they get the chance to snatch it away. I'll tell you what- it's a struggle from the womb to the tomb out there. A man just doesn't wanna try and teach on an empty belly!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:38:54 PM by CliffK »

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
I try to time my arrival to the lunch room when I know that lunch ladies will be in the back preparing things. That way I can serve myself as much as I want.

True story: One time we were having lunch and they were having chicken wings. They were small little wings, mostly bones and very little meat, but I was excited. I was real hungry but out of respect for others I only took 5 of the little things. Next thing I know the lunch lady swoops on me from outta nowhere, has the serving tongs out and is removing 2 of the wings from my tray, putting them back into the pile. Guess she thought I  took too many. Lady I pay for that lunch and three bony little wings ain't gonna cut it for this big hungry fella.

Moral of the story- I get down there at the time when I know the lunch ladies are going to be in the back preparing stuff. I make sure to be real quiet when I'm serving myself. Sometimes they see me just as I'm finished putting the food on my plate and I see them come rushing from the back. I dip on outta there real quick, and start inhaling that food before they get the chance to snatch it away. I'll tell you what- it's a struggle from the womb to the tomb out there. A man just doesn't wanna try and teach on an empty belly!

As a hungry man, I love this story.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2015, 06:39:14 PM »

One of my 6th grade girls today screamed at me "선생님 이 게임 재미 없어!" (Teacher this game is boring!). I just pointed at the candy bag and she was immediately like "OKAY!"

ugh some of my 3rd grade girls have a habit of coming into the classroom and before they even say hello to me they just say "TEACHER GAME. GAME TEACHER. TEACHER GAME." over and over and over.

So then once we've finished the lesson i'll play a game with them and i can guarantee at least one of them is always like 'teacher, game....no'
3rd graders are evil. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Ugh.. don't let them speak to you in casual language. I'd be so pissed

Haha 'teacher' 'game' 'hello' and 'no' are probably the only english words most of my 3rd graders can speak :rolleyes:

I mean for cjszk, his kids speaking to him in banmal  :rolleyes:

Yeah I don't tolerate 반말 in my classroom. >:(

Bought a hot crispy chicken burger from Lotteria (arguably the only good burger on the whole menu). Got home and took a bite, it's been a while since I've had one so I don't know how long this has been going on. But the burger itself still had the skin on under the batter. It was vile so I chucked it in the bin. I'm stood here now staring into a fridge full of pizza pickles that I don't eat and a 2 cartons of expired milk. Guess it serves me right for getting an early finish from work.
Your fridge sounds as sad as mine... I have a year's worth of pizza pickles I only eat on lonely drunken nights, and the little boxes of moo you get from fried chicken which I guess I keep as souvenirs?

I got food poisoning from the spicy chicken burger from Lotteria. Now I try not to eat there anymore (but their french fries are alright)

i love that hot crispy burger, although it always gives me the shits about 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating it. found that out for the first time on a 3 hour bus ride to seoul though. not very fun trying to hold in explosive diarrhea on the bus, especially with the way these guys drive.
That's deadly. I saw a guy beg the driver to stop for what we thought was a pee, only to see him drop trousers and blast diarrhea on the side of the road.  I think half the bus watching you diarrhea poo is impossible to get over.

OMFG I would have died laughing because I'm a terrible, horrible person with the sense of humor of a child.  :laugh:

Offline iseya

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »
Did diarrhea dude get back on the boss after soiling the streets?

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:31 AM »
Bit of a Monday blues addition.

As the OP I would like to know why a moderator felt the need to show up and give us a patronizing warning. As the OP I never asked people to post their thoughts as long as they had nothing to do with Korea unless positive.

If people have a gripe let them have a whinge. It's not derailing any thread. It's not making life difficult for someone looking for information. It's not "spreading panic" as sometimes you mods fear. What was the point of that warning?

Where in the terms and conditions does it say we cannot criticize Korea or say when something Korean annoys us?

I know there's no harm done either way but it just rankles me. Frankly it made me think the mod wanted to remind us that we can only have fun if he allows it.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »

As the OP I would like to know why a moderator felt the need to show up and give us a patronizing warning. As the OP I never asked people to post their thoughts as long as they had nothing to do with Korea unless positive.

If people have a gripe let them have a whinge. It's not derailing any thread. It's not making life difficult for someone looking for information. It's not "spreading panic" as sometimes you mods fear. What was the point of that warning?

Where in the terms and conditions does it say we cannot criticize Korea or say when something Korean annoys us?

I know there's no harm done either way but it just rankles me. Frankly it made me think the mod wanted to remind us that we can only have fun if he allows it.

But it triggers some people. Let's coddle them. /s

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2015, 07:46:20 AM »

Getting rid of a lot of the Korean hate threads will make waygook a more pleasant site, and will in turn help to prevent creating more anti-Korean mindsets for people who frequent this site. Especially people new to Korea are very prone to just absorb all the hate on this site and have it muddy up their views and experiences in Korea.
This of course, doesn't make it right to deny views and people who just need to blow off some steam. There is nothing wrong with being critical of a society or culture as well. Just, this site being a gloomy conglomeration of anti-Korean sentiments doesn't help even the foreigners cope with their problems either. It only confirms their dislikes and reinforces them.
I actually find entertainment out of these kinds of talks though... I'm twisted like that  :lipsrsealed:

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »

Getting rid of a lot of the Korean hate threads will make waygook a more pleasant site, and will in turn help to prevent creating more anti-Korean mindsets for people who frequent this site. Especially people new to Korea are very prone to just absorb all the hate on this site and have it muddy up their views and experiences in Korea.
This of course, doesn't make it right to deny views and people who just need to blow off some steam. There is nothing wrong with being critical of a society or culture as well. Just, this site being a gloomy conglomeration of anti-Korean sentiments doesn't help even the foreigners cope with their problems either. It only confirms their dislikes and reinforces them.
I actually find entertainment out of these kinds of talks though... I'm twisted like that  :lipsrsealed:

You would have a point if it was a general thread but this was specifically a rant and ramble thread. What's more the thread had seemed pretty balanced. There was music, some teaching gripes and amusing if slightly scabrous tales of digestion. It was not getting out of hand and I think the warning was unnecessary and censorious.

It's also a rather ridiculous expectation. We live and work in Korea for Korean organisations. People are bound to have some ire directed at something Korean. If you want to stop the website becoming a depressing hate-fest then act like a cop not a prison guard. Identify people who turn threads into viper pits, warn them and then ban them.

PS: Dear Moderators. I am in no way questioning your wits or wisdom. You are our kindly shepherds gently guiding us down the dark hillside. Furthermore I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of the American Communist Party.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »
You would have a point if it was a general thread but this was specifically a rant and ramble thread. What's more the thread had seemed pretty balanced. There was music, some teaching gripes and amusing if slightly scabrous tales of digestion. It was not getting out of hand and I think the warning was unnecessary and censorious.

It's also a rather ridiculous expectation. We live and work in Korea for Korean organisations. People are bound to have some ire directed at something Korean. If you want to stop the website becoming a depressing hate-fest then act like a cop not a prison guard. Identify people who turn threads into viper pits, warn them and then ban them.

PS: Dear Moderators. I am in no way questioning your wits or wisdom. You are our kindly shepherds gently guiding us down the dark hillside. Furthermore I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of the American Communist Party.

yup, mods on this site are pretty lazy. they just lock threads or come in here and write warnings, because it's just easier for them than to actually, you know, moderate the site by deleting posts, warning/banning users, etc.

the thread got to what, 4 pages and there was nothing untoward in it so far, yet one of the (only 3 active) mods has to pop in and make a warning.

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2015, 08:17:30 AM »
Did diarrhea dude get back on the boss after soiling the streets?
Yes, the shame was real deep though. He had tissues and a water bottle to wash his hands, at least.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »

yup, mods on this site are pretty lazy. they just lock threads or come in here and write warnings, because it's just easier for them than to actually, you know, moderate the site by deleting posts, warning/banning users, etc.

the thread got to what, 4 pages and there was nothing untoward in it so far, yet one of the (only 3 active) mods has to pop in and make a warning.
it was 5 pages, but who's counting?

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »

But you see, a foreigner in Korea complained about something. Therefore, it is automatically a complaint about Korea and those are automatically offensive! But threads where people said charming things about how all the Americans or South Africans here are bad at English, for example...totally not offensive at all.  :rolleyes:

Offline Timo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
To be fair, every Friday there's some fun and games on here, so when there's a specifically 'off-topic' thread, it's pretty likely to end in chaos. Glad it didn't though, definite signs of improving the general vibe round here :)

Also, don't take the warning so personally, it wasn't directed at you, it just meant that anyone coming to troll the thread can't claim that they were 'on-topic' or whatever.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2015, 08:28:57 AM »

But you see, a foreigner in Korea complained about something. Therefore, it is automatically a complaint about Korea and those are automatically offensive! But threads where people said charming things about how all the Americans or South Africans here are bad at English, for example...totally not offensive at all.  :rolleyes:

you can always use the report button to report threads that you believe are in violation of the ToS.

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
Can we stop talking about the mods and just ignore them? Go create another topic if you wish to discuss them. Lets keep this thread going and keep the derailing out please.

Sorry I have no ramblings to contribute but I enjoy reading others.