December 18, 2017, 05:05:47 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 431596 times)

Offline dizzl

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »
When I am told to go judge a story telling competition at my school but am not given any forms or criteria. When it's over they asked me to give my verdict and I ask 5 times what they are looking for and the point of the competition and they tell all the other judges in Korean and not me. The other teachers are wondering why I am getting upset but seriously I am not bloody psychic. Clearly my presence at an English event is not to be the English expert or part of the team but rather a necessary evil. Honestly, I don't know why I even bother caring still. Thank the gods it's Friday.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »
I'm tired of teaching 1st and 2nd grade elementary for EPIK with essentially no co teacher.

Holy crap tell me about it.  I just walked out of a class of 1st+2nd graders.  I teach that age group as part of afternoon classes twice a week and it's difficult but ok.  I don't have a co-teacher, but I've got them under control for the most part.  We have a good time. 

But I also have to do these special classes with 1st+2nd graders and it is pure hell.  It's not even a real class, it's like babysitting (more so) until their parents pick them up.  Kids are constantly coming and going so there's no chance at actually conducting a proper lesson.  I don't have access to a computer or TV or CD player or anything else.  The room this takes place in is very bare, so if I want to use anything I better remember to bring it from my own classroom, otherwise we just have to move on without it (scissors, glue, erasers, etc.).  There actually is a Korean in the room who, I believe, is actually paid extra money to be there but she just plays on the computer that I can't use (so I'm doing her job because god forbid I don't reach 22 hours per week even though I have 10 hours of afternoon classes and even 20 base hours are still at least 5 more than anyone else in the school). 

The kids are terrible, it's a mess.  Normally with the Korean teacher they just play with legos or pogs or whatever, it's basically a daycare.  But I'm expected to conduct an English lesson, so in I walk and force them to work randomly for 80 minutes.  They don't want to do that, and I don't blame them.  So I basically reduced it to arts and crafts, but it's still a mess.  They will not listen to the instructions, they won't sit down, scissors are weapons, glue sticks are weapons, colour pencils are weapons, everything is a weapon, so I have to keep these things away from them and go around the room and let them use it one at a time under my direct supervision.  But it all doesn't matter, because no matter what I ask them to do half of them are "FINISHEEEEEEE!" in under 5 seconds.  Then the destruction begins.  Of their things and then the other kids, if there are any, who are trying to do an ok job.  All the while, one kid leaves every 5 minutes, and another arrives every 2 minutes after that. 

Today the kids were being especially ridiculous so I just gave them colour pencils and paper after a while.  Again, the paper hadn't even landed on their desks before the shouts of "FINISHEEEEEEEEE!" came.  I just gave the Korean teacher a disgusted look, sat down at the back and played on my phone.  Chaos ensued, and I didn't lift an eyelid.  She did get up a couple of times and sighed, and tried to get one boy to stop trying to cut the curtains and another boy to stop running to the bathroom across the hall, cupping his hands and splashing water on everyone.  Eventually I just go disgusted I walked out 10 minutes early.  Remember, it's an 80 minute class, so I tried my best to at least be present.  But whatever, I'm not a miracle worker.  Next week they can keep playing with their blocks.  I don't care anymore, this game is almost over. 

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
Why do we need a special thread for this?  I thought all threads were pointless any day of the week.

Offline stephaniejt

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2015, 03:03:47 PM »
Grade 5 Lesson 7. I will (future verbs).

I will go to Busan this weekend. What will you do?

Sleep
Sleep
Sleep
Eat
Go to the bathroom.
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
Go to my grandparents.

It's a sad fact of life when a class of 30 students most exciting in going to their grannies house.

Heh.  Grade 6, Lesson 7: Can you come to my party?

Was playing a game today with my sole 6th grade student where we rolled dice for what we invited someone to (6 options) as well as the answer (evens/odds).  When he had to turn down my invitation, I always pretended to be really dejected--which he thought was hilarious. 

Both of us got really into it, and he was giving a lot of different answers when he needed to say no (guitar lesson, taekwondo class, eat dinner with family, etc).  But I burst out laughing at the end when he turned down my party invitation because he'd rather sleep  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  He looked particularly pleased with himself too; he knew exactly what he was implying about how exciting my party would be.

The worst part about the 방콕 was that for the first few lessons at this school, I thought that all of my students were going to Thailand. I was pretty bown away about all of their travels. That's when it was explained to me. Damn.

What does it mean?

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »

Sleep
Sleep
Sleep
Eat
Go to the bathroom.
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
Go to my grandparents.

It's a sad fact of life when a class of 30 students most exciting in going to their grannies house.

Was playing a game today with my sole 6th grade student where we rolled dice for what we invited someone to (6 options) as well as the answer (evens/odds).  When he had to turn down my invitation, I always pretended to be really dejected--which he thought was hilarious. 

Both of us got really into it, and he was giving a lot of different answers when he needed to say no (guitar lesson, taekwondo class, eat dinner with family, etc).  But I burst out laughing at the end when he turned down my party invitation because he'd rather sleep  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  He looked particularly pleased with himself too; he knew exactly what he was implying about how exciting my party would be.

The worst part about the 방콕 was that for the first few lessons at this school, I thought that all of my students were going to Thailand. I was pretty bown away about all of their travels. That's when it was explained to me. Damn.
....What is 방톡?  :undecided:

Offline royalmilktea

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »
it means staying at home, or staying in your room

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »

Sleep
Sleep
Sleep
Eat
Go to the bathroom.
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
방콕
Go to my grandparents.

....What is 방톡?  :undecided:

It basically means laying down at home for two days and doing jack squat. Sounds like a blast, huh?

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »
It is literally the most inefficient method of learning a language I can imagine short of reading a dictionary.
...This actually may be more efficient  :lipsrsealed:

I saw two kids stab each other with pencils today. The kind of stabbing where you really mean it, but you're instantly sorry after it's happened.
This actually made me burst out laughing!!!  :laugh:

Oh Korea.  When I'm gone I'll think of you every time I see something that is planned in advance and makes logical sense.
:undecided:                                                                                                                           :cry:

...Also I totally 방톡 on half my weekends.  I don't even leave my apartment--some days, you just need it.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:11:19 PM by nomadicmadda »

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »
I'm tired of teaching 1st and 2nd grade elementary for EPIK with essentially no co teacher.

Holy crap tell me about it.  I just walked out of a class of 1st+2nd graders.  I teach that age group as part of afternoon classes twice a week and it's difficult but ok.  I don't have a co-teacher, but I've got them under control for the most part.  We have a good time. 

But I also have to do these special classes with 1st+2nd graders and it is pure hell.  It's not even a real class, it's like babysitting (more so) until their parents pick them up.  Kids are constantly coming and going so there's no chance at actually conducting a proper lesson.  I don't have access to a computer or TV or CD player or anything else.  The room this takes place in is very bare, so if I want to use anything I better remember to bring it from my own classroom, otherwise we just have to move on without it (scissors, glue, erasers, etc.).  There actually is a Korean in the room who, I believe, is actually paid extra money to be there but she just plays on the computer that I can't use (so I'm doing her job because god forbid I don't reach 22 hours per week even though I have 10 hours of afternoon classes and even 20 base hours are still at least 5 more than anyone else in the school). 

The kids are terrible, it's a mess.  Normally with the Korean teacher they just play with legos or pogs or whatever, it's basically a daycare.  But I'm expected to conduct an English lesson, so in I walk and force them to work randomly for 80 minutes.  They don't want to do that, and I don't blame them.  So I basically reduced it to arts and crafts, but it's still a mess.  They will not listen to the instructions, they won't sit down, scissors are weapons, glue sticks are weapons, colour pencils are weapons, everything is a weapon, so I have to keep these things away from them and go around the room and let them use it one at a time under my direct supervision.  But it all doesn't matter, because no matter what I ask them to do half of them are "FINISHEEEEEEE!" in under 5 seconds.  Then the destruction begins.  Of their things and then the other kids, if there are any, who are trying to do an ok job.  All the while, one kid leaves every 5 minutes, and another arrives every 2 minutes after that. 

Today the kids were being especially ridiculous so I just gave them colour pencils and paper after a while.  Again, the paper hadn't even landed on their desks before the shouts of "FINISHEEEEEEEEE!" came.  I just gave the Korean teacher a disgusted look, sat down at the back and played on my phone.  Chaos ensued, and I didn't lift an eyelid.  She did get up a couple of times and sighed, and tried to get one boy to stop trying to cut the curtains and another boy to stop running to the bathroom across the hall, cupping his hands and splashing water on everyone.  Eventually I just go disgusted I walked out 10 minutes early.  Remember, it's an 80 minute class, so I tried my best to at least be present.  But whatever, I'm not a miracle worker.  Next week they can keep playing with their blocks.  I don't care anymore, this game is almost over.
Hahahah do kids still play with pogs?!

Anyway how many kids are in a class with you?  And like some days are better than others, and for each grade one class is better than the other as well. I have a few kids who like to SAY EVERYTHING AT TOP VOLUME!  "TEACHAA HIIIII" "영어선생님 왔어요!" "TEACHA IM HAPPY"  Turn it down a notch kid... When I come in they are usually excited and are chattering at me in Korean about something and pulling on my arm and hugging me, which is cute, but when its 26 of them trying to do the same thing its a little much...

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »
My name is a constant struggle.

Not because it's hard to pronounce or anything. "Tim" isn't exactly strange and exotic, even by Korean standards (isn't there a Korean musician named Tim?). Tacking the "Mister" on in front of it doesn't really compound the difficulty any.

The trick seems to be getting my students to call me Mister Tim instead of Tim Teacher, or just Teacher. I understand that "____ Teacher" is the English translation of what they call their teachers in Korean, but that isn't what English-speaking students actually use with their teachers, so I'm trying to drive the whole "Mr. ____" thing into their heads.

It's an uphill battle.

Generally, all their other English teachers are or have been fine with the "Teacher" business, and even some my CoTs don't call me what I ask to be called half the time. More awkward still is the teachers who do learn that I prefer that students call me Mr. Tim, but then they themselves start calling me Mr. Tim even when no students are present. That in and of itself isn't a big deal, it just feels weird, so I tell them that because we're colleagues, they can just call me Tim in private. That then leads them to call me Tim all the time, even in front of the students, which means I end up with students just calling me Tim, sans Mister.

I do at least get to pretend I don't hear them, or act like I have no idea who this "Tim Teacher" person they keep asking for is, which seems to amuse them. Some kids have even started getting in on the joke, saying "Who's that?!?" and heckling when someone uses the wrong name to call me over.

Boy. Ask for rambling, and rambling you shall get. I need to start taking a guitar to work or something, so I'll have something else to do in my down time other than litter WaygOrg with me blabbering  :laugh:.

Offline JennyC520

• Adventurer
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »
The toilet paper always runs out at least once a week. I have to either use pocket tissues if I have any, or go around several floors to find a toilet with paper. Why can't they have more than 1 loo roll in the bathrooms?
Why does the cleaning lady never actually clean the toilets? Just takes out the used paper and flushes the loo?
Why must we do summer campppppppppppp?
Why must we do several weeks of filler lessons before the exam period and we're not allowed to show moviesssssssss. Nobody needs to review the same lessons 6 times!!
Why does the school lunch never keep me full and leave my stomach rumbling 2 hours laterrrrrr?

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 03:28:14 PM »
Yesssss.

Let it out my brethren. Let it all out. We are all in the pit together. There is no shame here. No shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esEdC0c3YI4

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 03:29:03 PM »
Haha i love this thread

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »
On this Friday I've been thinking a lot about my friends back home and, like Orangeman, I really just wonder what's up with their weird lives. Some friends I hadn't spoken to for years before I moved to Korea and honestly, it seems like they haven't aged or changed a wink since highschool. They are all still sitting in their respective mothers' basements, smoking bongs and playing video games. No major developments of thought or progress in life. I don't care what they DO, but they all still listen to the same bands, and think the exact same way as in highschool. It just really chaps my ass, since they are all smart guys who just got too caught up in a scene (the weed scene). I wonder what it will be like when I get home...
I also miss my pet chinchilla too much. I hardly miss my friends and family (very random things will get to me, like a song or even smell). But when I think of my pet chinchilla and my stupid little boston terrier/pug mix, I get instantly teary eyed. Is this the case for anyone else, or have I finally lost it?
Also, Sixto Rodriguez IS the perfect music for today.

Same same, bro.

I have 3 friends, back home, who're like brothers. Just before graduating and leaving for Korea, we'd always hang out and bond really well (they're clever chaps). From high school, till the end of undergrad, we spoke about how we were going to travel Asia (the ESL route) and whatnot. Seems like I was the only one who went through with it. After a few years, in Korea, I visited home and paid them a visit. They were still the same, 2 were still living at their parents, still telling me about their big plans to travel to Asia, still bitching about how awesome it would be to travel to Japan, things must be so cool there (they're nearly 30 and never travelled abroad). I told them, since they both had jobs, no dependents and no rent why don't you finally put your money where your mouth is and meet me, in Japan, like we've been talking about for years? I've been there 3 times already and every time I invited you guys, over Skype, you bailed out.

"Sure, sure just tell us when". Nothing materialises, one is now unemployed and I tell him, it's easy as sh*t to get an ESL job over here, you'll make money get travel experience and have a great time. Nope, he's dead set on teaching in Japan (applied for JET, every year, and failed 4 times now).

While I was on holiday, we had a great time... on the 2 occasions I saw them. Every other time they lost my number, their phones were off, didn't have airtime and didn't invite me since they thought I was busy and wanted privacy, with my wife... It was incredibly infuriating, I spent a good chunk of change to visit home pretty much just to hang out with my friends again, only to have them act like the same irresponsible teenagers they were.

Normally, I'd just cut them off, but these are lifelong friends and I'd never cut them off. It's just really frustrating waiting for these 'kids' to grow up, be adults, and take charge of life.

Sorry for the long rant
Happy Friday
I'm sorry to hear that they're like that. Hopefully eventually their ambitions materialize and you can hang out with them on the real. If your friend is constantly plugging at JET, he'll finally catch a break I guess (although he's way better off coming here in terms of employment).
Don't worry about the rant, I'm happy to hear others are in the same boat as me. Love my friends, hate how they're acting. And I hate that I think that way about them, because frankly I'm a childish dude hell bent on spending every penny I earn on travel.
We're almost there...
Go hard this weekend weary teacher.

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »
Bought a hot crispy chicken burger from Lotteria (arguably the only good burger on the whole menu). Got home and took a bite, it's been a while since I've had one so I don't know how long this has been going on. But the burger itself still had the skin on under the batter. It was vile so I chucked it in the bin. I'm stood here now staring into a fridge full of pizza pickles that I don't eat and a 2 cartons of expired milk. Guess it serves me right for getting an early finish from work.
Your fridge sounds as sad as mine... I have a year's worth of pizza pickles I only eat on lonely drunken nights, and the little boxes of moo you get from fried chicken which I guess I keep as souvenirs?

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »
Bought a hot crispy chicken burger from Lotteria (arguably the only good burger on the whole menu). Got home and took a bite, it's been a while since I've had one so I don't know how long this has been going on. But the burger itself still had the skin on under the batter. It was vile so I chucked it in the bin. I'm stood here now staring into a fridge full of pizza pickles that I don't eat and a 2 cartons of expired milk. Guess it serves me right for getting an early finish from work.
Your fridge sounds as sad as mine... I have a year's worth of pizza pickles I only eat on lonely drunken nights, and the little boxes of moo you get from fried chicken which I guess I keep as souvenirs?

I got food poisoning from the spicy chicken burger from Lotteria. Now I try not to eat there anymore (but their french fries are alright)
Open your mind.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »

I got food poisoning from the spicy chicken burger from Lotteria. Now I try not to eat there anymore (but their french fries are alright)

i love that hot crispy burger, although it always gives me the shits about 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating it. found that out for the first time on a 3 hour bus ride to seoul though. not very fun trying to hold in explosive diarrhea on the bus, especially with the way these guys drive.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2015, 03:58:01 PM »
I'm tired of teaching 1st and 2nd grade elementary for EPIK with essentially no co teacher...

To krissyboo, and to the others:

1. All rules go out the window when you teach an afterschool class.

2. I teach first and second grade afterschool 4 times a week each, 50 minutes a period. Would you like to know how my classes went yesterday? This is a typical Thursday:

The first graders have class at 2:00. This means that from about 1:15 onwards, they are standing outside screaming for me and banging on the glass. Before my coteacher for these classes stopped talking to me altogether, she told them once that they should go to the library to wait, but "they do not interest in that!" No shit. So I shove my lunch in my face in about 15 minutes flat and rocket out of my chair to go sit in the storage closet, because at least then they won't see my food and run in and scream at me for not giving it to them.

Here's what I usually hear:

TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
MEEEEEEEEEEEMOOOOOOOOOOOP!
HI!
HI!
HI!
HI!
Repeat for the next hour.

yes, it's nice that they want to talk to me...but we have told them SO MANY TIMES that they cannot behave like this. But it doesn't matter. Nothing we say matters. We even contacted their parents to explain and it doesn't matter. Half the time, their useless mothers are watching and laughing, annoyed with me because they've had to spend OMG 20 MINUTES with their children and THEY COULD BE DRINKING MIXED COFFEE SOMEWHERE!!!111!111!

So eventually, I let the kids into the room. they run in screaming and immediately begin climbing on everything climbable. They're coloring on the desks. They're smashing my markers against the board (I tried hiding the and got yelled at for "being cruel to students.) They're throwing things. They're eating. They're screaming at me. They're kicking me and each other. They're grabbing or slapping my breasts and my buttcheeks.

Finally, I get them all calm enough to sit, but no matter, because they pop up to stand/jump/swing/standing on their chairs or desks no matter what. Then we sing the Hello Song, but I can't sing because I spend the whole time defending myself from titty twisters and involuntary second-person twerking from having my ass grabbed. I don't even HAVE an ass, but the kids know how to make it clap!

We start class. My coteacher is studying for the middle school teacher certification exam that she will never take. Occasionally, she'll scream out in Korean some helpful information like "sit down" or "be quiet," but she is no more than white noise, and honestly if her voice wasn't so ****** annoying, I wouldn't know her hairy ass was in my classroom at all. Oh, and she won't help in any other way.

Eventually, it's time for the only thing this coteacher does in any of the 20 classes we teach together: the textbook. She says not a word of English and the students learn and do nothing. Once she finishes the grueling eight minutes of teaching she does per week, she sits down and continues being useless. Then we play some stupid-ass game.

Then, oh joy, it's time for the second graders! The second graders are so much fun! The first in will be a girl I'll call Anita. Anita screams at a volume that could shatter glass and it is HER ONLY WAY OF COMMUNICATING. At some point in the ten minutes before class, she will slap the everloving shit out of, stomp on my feet, and make me watch while she takes everything out of her purse and shows it to me.

Fun anecdote: I once threw my lower back out so hard that I had trouble walking. I was trying to make it down the hallway to the bathroom when Anita came running up and slapped me so hard in the small of my back- she's a ****** enormous second-grader; she's like a human goddamn cannonball- she slapped me SO HARD that I fell down and I couldn't get up because I was in so much ****** pain. Then I got yelled at because apparently I upset her by not being charmed by her INSANE PHYSICAL ABUSE. Oh, and she's always covered in snot and blood because she picks her nose so often and so hard that she always has a nosebleed.

Oh, and another kid in the class is much smaller and doesn't hit as hard, but it's constant. I have to teach while simultaneously LITERALLY HOLDING HER AT ARM'S LENGTH because SHE WILL STAND THERE AND WINDMILL HER ARMS TRYING TO HIT ME FOR FIFTY STRAIGHT MINUTES.

No one helps me with anything.

The kids will eventually sit down. if I'm lucky, Idiot Bitch CT won't even show up to this class. if I'm unlucky, she WILL show up and do even less than usual, besides shooting me her habitual shitty looks. She says not one word in English, as usual.

Eventually, I can kick them out, but Anita will bang on the door and scream my name every five minutes or so until 5:00. I have to sneak out between her banging and screaming sessions or she will come over and stomp on my right foot- which is deformed and therefore rather sensitive- and then wrap her shit and booger-covered arms around me and not let go. I have dragged her all over the school until I found a Korean person willing to do something other than laugh and say "So cute!" when they see it....so many times...

**** AFTERSCHOOL CLASSES FOREVER

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »

i love that hot crispy burger, although it always gives me the shits about 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating it. found that out for the first time on a 3 hour bus ride to seoul though. not very fun trying to hold in explosive diarrhea on the bus, especially with the way these guys drive.
That's deadly. I saw a guy beg the driver to stop for what we thought was a pee, only to see him drop trousers and blast diarrhea on the side of the road.  I think half the bus watching you diarrhea poo is impossible to get over.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2015, 04:09:30 PM »
she slapped me SO HARD that I fell down and I couldn't get up because I was in so much ****** pain. Then I got yelled at because apparently I upset her by not being charmed by her INSANE PHYSICAL ABUSE. Oh, and she's always covered in snot and blood because she picks her nose so often and so hard that she always has a nosebleed.

I love this thread so much  :laugh:

This is hands down the funniest anecdote I've read on here.  Hope you're ok now meep!!