December 17, 2017, 08:36:48 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430150 times)

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4340 on: November 01, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »
The third graders were disappointed that they didn't get a Halloween themed class or candy today. I explained that it's a public school, not a hagwon, so we'd be having a normal class. Maybe it was a bit dry of me to just do a normal class, but throwing candy at students and making English class one big party just isn't my style these days.

i didn't do halloween class either. our english room got taken away last year and turned into a regular classroom. so i just teach in the homerooms now, which is a PIA.

sorry kids, no ways i'm hauling even minimal decorations around and sticking them up in every single one of 7 different homerooms. complain to the school about the fact that there's no english room anymore if you want to do cool shit in future.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4341 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »
... which is a PIA.
I've always hated this acronym. Wouldn't PItA be a better one? At the very least, it leaves confused people with a vague mental image of delicious Greek food.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4342 on: November 01, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Is it just me or are there all these brand new accounts floating around the lesson plans section saying stuff like "thanks for this" to create an artificial economy of new lesson plans? There haven't been any new lessons for months since the paywall came up and i'm slightly suspecting some foul play by the powers that be here.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4343 on: November 01, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »
PE teacher just gifted me 20,000 won as I'm leaving today.   :laugh: :laugh: 

Today has been emotionally taxing... this whole past week and a half, rather.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4344 on: November 01, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »
Is it just me or are there all these brand new accounts floating around the lesson plans section saying stuff like "thanks for this" to create an artificial economy of new lesson plans? There haven't been any new lessons for months since the paywall came up and i'm slightly suspecting some foul play by the powers that be here.
It's possible.
Another possibility is that it's the new August intake of EPIK/GEPIK teachers first discovering the site.
Also, Aliens. (Come visit! It's NICE over here!)

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4345 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »

Oh c'mon man, none of us have time for that sort of imaginary crap. I barely remember to login in here half the time. You're seeing a lot of those types of posts because a lot of Kteachers have been signing up and they need 5 posts to get access even if they pay. Stop imagining stuff that isn't there. There have always been those sort of posts ever since the 5 post minimum went up.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4346 on: November 01, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

Oh c'mon man, none of us have time for that sort of imaginary crap. I barely remember to login in here half the time. You're seeing a lot of those types of posts because a lot of Kteachers have been signing up and they need 5 posts to get access even if they pay. Stop imagining stuff that isn't there. There have always been those sort of posts ever since the 5 post minimum went up.

Oh I do apologise then. Still doesn't change the fact the there is no new material. I also thought it was against the t&cs to clutter the thread with stuff like 'thank you' but that's none of my business. Just having a pointless rant though so tell gagevt to keep his fingers off the purge button.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4347 on: November 01, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
It's possible.
Another possibility is that it's the new August intake of EPIK/GEPIK teachers first discovering the site.
Also, Aliens. (Come visit! It's NICE over here!)

Judging by Sean_irl's posts i wouldn't rule out aliens just yet.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4348 on: November 01, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »

Yeh,

But,

you know, like,

thing is,

we've not heard from him since his chilling posts,

huh?

how, do you, you, erm, like how do you explain that?

Spooky or wot?

Anytime a poster doesn't post, we just assume they left Korea.  Now we know the truth, they get abducted by aliens.  Donovan was last heard of somewhere near Uranus...

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4349 on: November 01, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »

Yeh,

But,

you know, like,

thing is,

huh?

Spooky or wot?

Anytime a poster doesn't post, we just assume they left Korea.  Now we know the truth, they get abducted by aliens.  Donovan was last heard of somewhere near Uranus...

Spooky stuff going on lately.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4350 on: November 01, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »
Yeh,
But,
you know, like,
thing is,
huh?
Spooky or wot?

I dunno. Knowing Donovan, I think it's more likely for him to be doing the abducting than getting abducted!  :smiley:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4351 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:26 PM »
Yeh,
But,
you know, like,
thing is,
huh?
Spooky or wot?

I dunno. Knowing Donovan, I think it's more likely for him to be doing the abducting than getting abducted!  :smiley:

What ever happened to waygook.org user Donovan?

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4352 on: November 01, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure he left when he found out that the admin here was stealing people's work and lying about it. But it could have been before that.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4353 on: November 01, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure he left when he found out that the admin here was stealing people's work and lying about it. But it could have been before that.

I always assumed he stopped posting because his wife had a baby and he has his hands full now. 

He's probably (and rightly so) getting his head down and learning the sh*t out of Korean so he can actually communicate with his child in a few years' time.  Oh and getting them out of his one room apartment  :sad:

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4354 on: November 01, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »

I always assumed he stopped posting because his wife had a baby and he has his hands full now. 

He's probably (and rightly so) getting his head down and learning the sh*t out of Korean so he can actually communicate with his child in a few years' time.  Oh and getting them out of his one room apartment  :sad:

Basically his last post:

Just finished deleting nearly all of my lesson plans.  Feel kind of sad... :sad:

Let's not jump to conclusions about his private life

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4355 on: November 01, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »

Basically his last post:

Just finished deleting nearly all of my lesson plans.  Feel kind of sad... :sad:

Let's not jump to conclusions about his private life

A gentleman if ever I met one.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4356 on: November 01, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »
Yep. Waygook is a darker, less funny place without him.  :sad:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4357 on: November 01, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »
Yep. Waygook is a darker, less funny place without him.  :sad:

No jam!!

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4358 on: November 02, 2017, 07:53:45 AM »

I went through a round of deleting my materials in September.  I didn't delete everything, because my rationale had to do with copyright infringement and not being on the receiving end of C&Ds or worse because money was now involved.

So I was only concerned with removing stuff with like Disney, Universal, etc imagery (rabidly litigious megacorps).

Then, the mods started surreptiously altering my posts and those of others to change the URL of a perfectly legitimate teacher sharing website.

As of Tuesday, I have removed every single bit of lesson plan material I ever put here. I can't wipe them from the servers though, and I frankly wonder if someone won't somehow rejuvenate our de-linked links .... (what with there being no honor among thieves).

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4359 on: November 02, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »

Then, the mods started surreptiously altering my posts and those of others to change the URL of a perfectly legitimate teacher sharing website.

Yeah, that was low. I was on the fence about coughing up 20 bucks, I mean I have downloaded a bunch from here in the past and it would be too bad if the site was unable to function as a resource for incoming teachers and general Korea life stuff...

But after seeing that post-altering BS this site will never see a penny from me. Nice work, waygook.org!  :rolleyes: