December 17, 2017, 08:25:08 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430147 times)

Offline wangdang

• Waygookin
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4260 on: September 29, 2017, 08:34:25 AM »
Talking about pointless...I'm at a loss to find a good reason why we must come and sit at a desk for 7hrs when there is absolutely nothing to do here. Certainly, I feel I could be much more productive spending money out in the community or getting herculean amounts of sleep  . I'm not griping, just not sure what it boils down to? A test of stamina?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4261 on: September 29, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
I've tried to use my time to work on future lessons/materials.

It's basically boiled down to me watching a movie while doing squats and lunges. I'm also thinking about stacking the chairs in my classroom into a pyramid because I have one class today and they need to earn that freetime.

Offline wangdang

• Waygookin
« Reply #4262 on: September 29, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
Now that you mention it, Korean English education is circling my brain.

Test time is coming in middle schools, and my co-workers are bringing me their questions to check them over for trouble.

The questions are awful.

They expect students to notice tiny, nitpicky grammar details in sentences that are already grammatically incorrect in far more obvious ways. On top of that, many of the questions are so ambiguous, I can't understand them until they explain that "that" is a conjunction in this sentence, and a relative pronoun in these other sentences, therefore that one is different and the correct answer!

Never mind that these students can barely write a coherent paragraph, they're supposed to be able to discern between a digression and a paranthetical statement. They're dismantling a concrete wall with a scalpel and tweezers instead of a sledgehammer.

It is literally the most inefficient method of learning a language I can imagine short of reading a dictionary.

It's true...I was asked to proof read some (of the worst) questions I've ever seen recently. Trying to clarify their meaning was like trying to undo a knotted ball of elastic, whilst blindfolded, wearing mittens. The funny thing was that after finally cobbling together some kind of meaning the teacher seemed to take offense at the advice - that they had come to me for! I had to chuckle at the confusion the poor test sitters are going to have. #counterproductive ~~

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4263 on: September 29, 2017, 08:58:13 AM »

It's basically boiled down to me watching a movie while doing squats and lunges. I'm also thinking about stacking the chairs in my classroom into a pyramid because I have one class today and they need to earn that freetime.

I do jumping jacks. Today's goal is 500. Already got 100 done!  :azn:

Talking about pointless...I'm at a loss to find a good reason why we must come and sit at a desk for 7hrs when there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Yeah... it's pointless. I get it. And sure I'd rather be out doing other stuff, but I try to think that it's pretty cool that we have jobs that pay us to do nothing. Most jobs you have to work to get paid. Everyday! So, yeah. Deskwarming can be tedious. But we can be productive if we want. Or not. It's up to you  :smiley:

We've all got computers and the internet right? How bad can it be?

Offline wangdang

• Waygookin
« Reply #4264 on: September 29, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »

It's basically boiled down to me watching a movie while doing squats and lunges.

Yeah... it's pointless. I get it. And sure I'd rather be out doing other stuff, but I try to think that it's pretty cool that we have jobs that pay us to do nothing. Most jobs you have to work to get paid. Everyday! So, yeah. Deskwarming can be tedious. But we can be productive if we want. Or not. It's up to you  :smiley:

We've all got computers and the internet right? How bad can it be?

No, I totally agree, it's great to get paid  to do nothing - just, why can't we do nothing at home? lol   Hmm looking at it it appears my claim to not be griping was a lie. Perhaps some push-ups may help. Happy Friday all  8)

Offline Sisa

• Newgookin
« Reply #4265 on: September 29, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »
I think I might have the same problem with pears and apples. It's just so hard to keep them down.

I am new to this desk warming thing and it is the worst. I am more productive at home in my pyjamas, with some music playing in the background. I guess there is logic behind it and I am yet to figure it out.

Offline viennica

• Adventurer
  • Send me mac and cheese and I'll be yours.
« Reply #4267 on: October 11, 2017, 12:24:27 PM »
Chuseok has screwed up my entire sleep schedule. Tried to sleep at 5:30AM last night. No dice.

Got 45 mins of sleep?

Shoot me.
Anyang Meet and Eat, our group of ridiculously fun people with a food problem. https://www.facebook.com/groups/334717196908236/

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4268 on: October 11, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »
lmfao:

I'd been seeing stuff about Mcd's Szechuan sauce and Rick and Morty and whatnot on the periphery of my social media feeds recently but until your post here, I'd been ignoring it.

Now I find myself angry at everyone involved with this debacle and yet still curious enough about the flavor of this damned limited edition Szechuan sauce that I'm sort of hoping I get to try it when they roll it out again.

FML. Shoulda listened to my gut on this one.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4269 on: October 11, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
Yeah, I honestly don't get what the bfd is with this sauce, either, but I'll admit I'm curious about it, too.

This is what fandom does. This is what fandom is.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4270 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:31 PM »
Yeah, I honestly don't get what the bfd is with this sauce, either, but I'll admit I'm curious about it, too.

This is what fandom does. This is what fandom is.

The excessively vocal R&M fans are awful and cast a bad light on all the normal people who enjoy it.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4271 on: October 11, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
I received a rejection email for a job I recently applied for.

It was the first communication from them since the automated receipt email, so I was surprised many it.

It made me think, "that's unusual, and classy!"

I will apply to them again for sure.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:04:06 AM by JNM »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4272 on: October 12, 2017, 07:01:35 AM »
Is it just me but as soon as I saw Weinstein and lewd behaviour of a Hollywood executive, I wasn't surprised in the least bit?  'You wanna get famous?'  Especially after Elijah Wood and his talking about the Hollywood paedophile rings, is it any wonder that this kind of thing goes on unchecked? 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4273 on: October 12, 2017, 07:50:13 AM »
Is it just me but as soon as I saw Weinstein and lewd behaviour of a Hollywood executive, I wasn't surprised in the least bit?  'You wanna get famous?'  Especially after Elijah Wood and his talking about the Hollywood paedophile rings, is it any wonder that this kind of thing goes on unchecked? 

Not just you.  I feel like anyone who is legitimately surprised is honestly ignorant or willfully so. 

In other news, dyed some of my hair for the first time ever last night (bit of a slight ombre) and it turned out really well!  I'm pleased as punch.  My hair is no longer virgin  :laugh:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4274 on: October 12, 2017, 08:03:32 AM »
The first time I dyed my hair was in highschool. I washed it out too early and it turned my hair grey. But not a cool grey. More of a really-old-person grey. Luckily I was nearly as oblivious to others then as I am now, so I didn't get razzed nearly as much as I probably deserved.

A year or so later, just to avoid the appearance of learning from one's mistakes, I dyed my hair again, this time raven-black. Washed it out to early (again) and for some reason rather than a nice black with subtle blue highlights, it turned my hair fluorescent blue. Which was awesome, as I had a job interview the next day. God bless tuques because either the interviewers didn't notice and hired me, or else they felt sorry for me and hired me. Also, I got more flack from custom officers than from my peers which is pretty surprising considering who my friends were at the time.  :smiley:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4275 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
@JNM: Send them an e-card.

The excessively vocal R&M fans are awful and cast a bad light on all the normal people who enjoy it.

But they create such great discussion pieces!

Not at all. Most people kind of suspect that this sort of thing is going on, just no one really talks about it until the lid gets blown off of a specific target.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4276 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »

Not at all. Most people kind of suspect that this sort of thing is going on, just no one really talks about it until the lid gets blown off of a specific target.

Yeah.  There's also a fear of being blacklisted if one gets involved or blows the whistle.  I mean so many people still work with Woody Allen in spite of the creepy circumstances in which he bagged his current wife. 

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4277 on: October 12, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

Yeah.  There's also a fear of being blacklisted if one gets involved or blows the whistle.  I mean so many people still work with Woody Allen in spite of the creepy circumstances in which he bagged his current wife.

Pretty much what Terry Crews tweeted about. Even now he won't name the person who did it to him because of a fear of ramifications.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:21:34 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4278 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:54 AM »
The first time I dyed my hair was in highschool. I washed it out too early and it turned my hair grey. But not a cool grey. More of a really-old-person grey. Luckily I was nearly as oblivious to others then as I am now, so I didn't get razzed nearly as much as I probably deserved.

A year or so later, just to avoid the appearance of learning from one's mistakes, I dyed my hair again, this time raven-black. Washed it out to early (again) and for some reason rather than a nice black with subtle blue highlights, it turned my hair fluorescent blue. Which was awesome, as I had a job interview the next day. God bless tuques because either the interviewers didn't notice and hired me, or else they felt sorry for me and hired me. Also, I got more flack from custom officers than from my peers which is pretty surprising considering who my friends were at the time.  :smiley:

Hahahah.  My hair is basically black (darkest of brown at the ends) and I had intended to use some fun colors after lightening it (found a dye that doesn't require bleach!) but I'm rather fond of how it is now so the pinks and blues may have to wait.   ;D

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4279 on: October 12, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
I was at my small, rural travel school today.  It's elementary.  3rd grade had 5 students, now down to 4.  The only girl in the class is gone.  5th grade had 3 students, now down to 2; one boy and one girl.   :sad: