December 16, 2017, 03:50:11 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429529 times)

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3800 on: June 16, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
Is dressing in drag considered cultural appropriation?

I'm sure there are certain people who would argue that. I believe a lot of feminist make a claim similar to that when transgender people dress in retrograde (from a feminist perspective) outfits and perpetuate a narrow, "sexy" standard of femininity, as was the backlash from many in the feminist community when Bruce-turned-Caitlin Jenner posed for the cover of Vogue for her coming out party.

Here's my thinking.

If I am a man in drag, according to current convention, I am to be referred to as a "trans-woman", entitled to all the rights, privileges, and adornments of womanhood.

I am therefore allowed to play the victim card. Since I am a victim, I can no longer be the aggressor; hence no appropriation.

... but I appropriated the right to play the victim card.

This is a rather offensive post, just so you know.

Transvestism does not mean you are transgendered. Please do not refer to them as the same thing again. It's actually very hurtful. I'm sure you didn't mean to be hurtful, but I wanted to let you know that it's not okay to make that equivocation.

I won't even touch the rest of your post because holy shit. But yeah. Please be more careful about your terminology.

BTW Japanese people cream their jeans when they see foreigners doing Japanese stuff. Sorry, truth.

No religion talk on waygook

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3801 on: June 16, 2017, 10:43:01 AM »

I'm sure there are certain people who would argue that. I believe a lot of feminist make a claim similar to that when transgender people dress in retrograde (from a feminist perspective) outfits and perpetuate a narrow, "sexy" standard of femininity, as was the backlash from many in the feminist community when Bruce-turned-Caitlin Jenner posed for the cover of Vogue for her coming out party.

Here's my thinking.

If I am a man in drag, according to current convention, I am to be referred to as a "trans-woman", entitled to all the rights, privileges, and adornments of womanhood.

I am therefore allowed to play the victim card. Since I am a victim, I can no longer be the aggressor; hence no appropriation.

Transvestism does not mean you are transgendered. Please do not refer to them as the same thing again. It's actually very hurtful. I'm sure you didn't mean to be hurtful, but I wanted to let you know that it's not okay to make that equivocation.

I won't even touch the rest of your post because holy shit. But yeah. Please be more careful about your terminology.

So, you are telling me how to identify now?

Drag is more of a performance, the men create a female persona and act as the persona for periods of time but at the end of the day they typically take it off. It's not always how they want to be 24/7. There are exceptions, but you'll fine many men in drag like to be able to be in or out of drag. It doesn't mean that they're transgender women or that they want to be.

The terminology can be confusing and sometimes people are pretty unforgiving when you use the wrong terminology but now you know :)

Also, RuPaul's Drag Race is on Korean Netflix if you want to do more research, so is Bianca's movie (she was a queen from one of the seasons... I forget which one...)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3802 on: June 16, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
Last night a coT texted me asking if I'd seen his USB. I recalled seeing it in the English room computer so I told him as much.

Wouldn't the computer be one of-- if not the first-- place you check?  :undecided:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3803 on: June 16, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »

Here's my thinking.

Drag is more of a performance, the men create a female persona and act as the persona for periods of time but at the end of the day they typically take it off. It's not always how they want to be 24/7. There are exceptions, but you'll fine many men in drag like to be able to be in or out of drag. It doesn't mean that they're transgender women or that they want to be.

The terminology can be confusing and sometimes people are pretty unforgiving when you use the wrong terminology but now you know :)

Also, RuPaul's Drag Race is on Korean Netflix if you want to do more research, so is Bianca's movie (she was a queen from one of the seasons... I forget which one...)

I'm not talking about RuPaul campy drag.

More like getting mistaken for your sister stuff.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3804 on: June 16, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »

Here's my thinking.

Would you extend that right to Rachel Dolezal?

A counter argument might be (er, often is) that men dressing in drag can go back to dressing as men at anytime, and the same holds true for Rachel Dolezal, but that's not the case for people who are naturally part of the community they are trying to insert themselves into.

And yeah, cross dressers hardly ever always dress in drag.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3805 on: June 16, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »

Here's my thinking.

I'm not talking about RuPaul campy drag.

More like getting mistaken for your sister stuff.

That's not drag then, are you talking about androgynous people? Transgender women? Someone who's gender fluid? Drag is a very specific thing that I think you're confusing with something else. I can see someone arguing that drag is cultural appropriation (even tho I hate when people scream about cultural appropriation) but if you're talking about people who are transgender that's a bit different.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3806 on: June 16, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »

Here's my thinking.

Would you extend that right to Rachel Dolezal?

A counter argument might be (er, often is) that men dressing in drag can go back to dressing as men at anytime, and the same holds true for Rachel Dolezal, but that's not the case for people who are naturally part of the community they are trying to insert themselves into.

And yeah, cross dressers hardly ever always dress in drag.

Why can't women become men a la Yentil? Or blacks become white, a la Falconhurst ?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:12:22 PM by JNM »

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3807 on: June 16, 2017, 12:01:56 PM »
I miss American television. Not that I watched TV a lot, but I enjoyed watching Food Network and HLN or having it in the background.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3808 on: June 16, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »
I miss American television. Not that I watched TV a lot, but I enjoyed watching Food Network and HLN or having it in the background.
I've just started watching Master Chef Australia and have it on in the background while I grade and lesson plan.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3809 on: June 16, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
I've just started watching Master Chef Australia and have it on in the background while I grade and lesson plan.

Is it any good? I'm quite partial to the Master Chef US judges...

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3810 on: June 16, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »
Why can't women become men a la Yentil? Or blacks become white, a la Falconhurst ?

They're certainly free to try, but they might be accused of "appropriation", or worse~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Defense of Cultural Appropriation
nytimes.com/2017/06/14/opinion/in-defense-of-cultural-appropriation.html

Don't worry. It's written by a former Indian.

Critics of cultural appropriation insist that they are opposed not to cultural engagement, but to racism. They want to protect marginalized cultures and ensure that such cultures speak for themselves, not simply be seen through the eyes of more privileged groups.

Certainly, cultural engagement does not take place on a level playing field. Racism and inequality shape the ways in which people imagine others. Yet it is difficult to see how creating gated cultures helps promote social justice.
The accusation of cultural appropriation is a secular version of the charge of blasphemy. Itís the insistence that certain beliefs and images are so important to particular cultures that they may not appropriated by others.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:26:39 PM by donovan »

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3811 on: June 16, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »

I am so exhausted that I just read an entire locked thread, and in this thread I am pretty sure that a South African commented (I am pretty sure he is a saffa) and then he got attacked for his culture;  which of course only registered with me as "South African", when in fact the point was being made to a particular religious culture, but DAMN it took me a long time to figure that all out.  So for a while there, I was wondering "what kind of ignorant nutcase thinks Saffas don't let women drive?"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm still laughing at myself for the train of thought.

Anyway...added note: In South Africa, many of my female friends are of this religious culture and they drive like bats out of hell. No one "lets" a South African woman do anything. We do what we want!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3812 on: June 20, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »
It's always weird to me how same activities work at certain schools. I've done a pretty difficult activity with my two other schools with successful results, but my high level students couldn't get it.  :shocked:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3813 on: June 21, 2017, 08:59:14 AM »
Just received my first lowest-grade-possible student. Refused to say a word. I can normally coax an answer for a couple of questions so that I can justify giving this or that student a higher grade. But not this time. It's not his first offense, either -- he's not suffering from some kind of social disorder or anything. He just doesn't like English and wants everyone to feel it, and somehow a refusal to participate hurts us more than it does him?

The amount of effort that goes into the "I don't give a ****" attitude from some of these students is astounding. It would just be easier if they at least tried.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3814 on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »

Is it any good? I'm quite partial to the Master Chef US judges...
I can't say, this is the first Master Chef I've ever watched. But these three are very very good at seeming displeased and judgmental then switching it up and saying something nice. One of the judges is incredibly dapper and one is very dad-like.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #3815 on: June 21, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »
Payday on Friday. Can't come soon enough. I think I'll eat beans and veggies for the entirety of next month so I can buy these beauts.

Also, going to Indonesia in January for a few weeks. But no vacation this August, I haven't planned shit and my Korean friend is coming back for the whole month from Prague.

Wow, this is a pointlewss rambling. Anyway, I'm bored and it's good to write. Peace!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3816 on: June 21, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
Trying to decide if I should visit Seoul this upcoming weekend. I've got a few things I'd like to pick up from there. But at the same time, I'd be going alone, and I hate going to Seoul on my own.

Also, last time I was there, it felt like I was walking through black tar. I mean, is it really worth it?

In other news, there's a lot of noise going on outside my window again, and it sounds like a wood saw. But it's a cat. Wtf is up with the cats around my school, I swear to God that they're all on PCP.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3817 on: June 21, 2017, 09:52:48 AM »
There is a guy I knew in university that I constantly see posting on FB asking for someone to babysit his 2-3 month old baby, always for free. I don't know why it annoys me so much, it doesn't affect me at all, but the way he always adds on "No compensation" gets me.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3818 on: June 21, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
Jeez. The more worrying thing is that he's looking for random friends to take care of an infant.

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3819 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »
There is a guy I knew in university that I constantly see posting on FB asking for someone to babysit his 2-3 month old baby, always for free. I don't know why it annoys me so much, it doesn't affect me at all, but the way he always adds on "No compensation" gets me.

This actually annoys me just hearing about it. People seem to expect the rest of the world to drop everything when they need something.