December 16, 2017, 03:46:43 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429528 times)

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #380 on: October 05, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »
I just need ten minutes of peace. I hate when the kids come in ten minutes early and just yell for ten minutes straight. God I'm getting so sick of this
That bothers me as well.  I tell them they are not allowed to come until it is five minutes before the start of class. If they come before that, they must stay in the hall.
Mine do that too. And then some like to hang around my desk and stare at me.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #381 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
I just need ten minutes of peace. I hate when the kids come in ten minutes early and just yell for ten minutes straight. God I'm getting so sick of this
That bothers me as well.  I tell them they are not allowed to come until it is five minutes before the start of class. If they come before that, they must stay in the hall.
Mine do that too. And then some like to hang around my desk and stare at me.

UGH. all of this  >:(

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #382 on: October 05, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »
Sounds like you last 4 commentors shouldn't be teachers if you don't like kids. 

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #383 on: October 05, 2015, 11:28:36 AM »

You have to like being around kids all the time to be a teacher? I only really like kids in class because I know what I'm doing with them, I can tell them what to do and I'm being paid to handle them. Outside of school I don't like kids that aren't related to me.

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »

You have to like being around kids all the time to be a teacher? I only really like kids in class because I know what I'm doing with them, I can tell them what to do and I'm being paid to handle them. Outside of school I don't like kids that aren't related to me.

The last 4 commentators are commenting about kids during work hours for being a bit noisy during their BREAKTIME.
Open your mind.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #385 on: October 05, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #386 on: October 05, 2015, 11:40:54 AM »

The last 4 commentators are commenting about kids during work hours for being a bit noisy during their BREAKTIME.
I'm the opposite... I like kids outside of class. During class they become a task to be dealt with and that can turn them into a mental hassle... Outside of class they are all fun lil kiddies not totally brainwashed by society yet.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #387 on: October 05, 2015, 11:41:51 AM »
I don't recall saying I dislike it. I just said mine do it too. The ones who hang around my desk are my faves and I love it. 

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #388 on: October 05, 2015, 11:47:36 AM »
Wanting five minutes of peace and quiet at some point during an eight hour workday is definitely a sign that someone hates children and should therefore not be a teacher. It's such an obvious conclusion.

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #389 on: October 05, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »
It's not just that the kids coming in early and screaming is annoying, it's also disrespectful on the part of the homeroom teachers, in my opinion. At my school, some of them will send their classes in 10 minutes early on purpose because they (the homeroom teachers) don't want to deal with their own classes during break times. They dump their kids on my co-teacher whenever they can and treat her and me like babysitters. They don't even care that WE'RE supposed to benefit from those 10-minute breaks, too. There is a class we have after lunch and that homeroom teacher will disappear and just tell her kids to go to the English room after lunch, so they usually come in 20-25 minutes early and run around playing and screaming. My co would never in a million years tell the kids to leave or ask their teacher not to let them come that early because she's the youngest teacher in the school and her position is much lower, so she's kind of forced to put up with this crap.

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #390 on: October 05, 2015, 11:51:16 AM »
There are several reasons why I don't want the students to come early, which include sometimes the students from the previous class are still in the room because they want to talk to me, or we are cleaning up, etc.

I didn't say I don't like children. Please don't put words into my mouth. Thank you.

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #391 on: October 05, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »

What if you liked kids but, and here's the bit you could find tricky, you expect them to conform to the barest minimum of social norms? Just like you would all other humans.

Some radical educational theorists and philosophers have even suggested that teaching children to behave is part of the mandate for educators and can possibly be an act of love.

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #392 on: October 05, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »

I asked my co teacher if we could start keeping the doors closed and have a rule that they have to wait in the hall if they come early, but she just turned to them and said "be quiet!" then two seconds later they were screaming again

It's even happened before where the next class will come in like a minute before I'm even done with the previous class. This is how teachers get burned out  :cry:

I am sorry to hear that. I have had students come a minute after the bell rang, but not a minute before!
Another thing I have done is play some music on YouTube, like "Happy" from Pharrell or "We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together" from Taylor Swift.  They stop what they are doing and watch TV....and then I make them dance to release energy  :evil:

The other option is to just leave the room during the break, I have done that as well. I just go outside for a moment, or go to the one of the grade teachers room.

You deserve some quite time too, so don't feel bad that you want to escape for a few minutes.  Just go do it!

Offline atemporaryaccount

• Super Waygook
« Reply #393 on: October 05, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »

What if you liked kids but, and here's the bit you could find tricky, you expect them to conform to the barest minimum of social norms? Just like you would all other humans.

Some radical educational theorists and philosophers have even suggested that teaching children to behave is part of the mandate for educators and can possibly be an act of love.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #394 on: October 05, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »

And...we need breaks too. It's our break time too. I think it's pretty reasonable to not be fond of kids bothering you during break unless it's something important. They should be playing or something during their break. They can do that without involving me.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #395 on: October 05, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »

I'm the opposite... I like kids outside of class. During class they become a task to be dealt with and that can turn them into a mental hassle... Outside of class they are all fun lil kiddies not totally brainwashed by society yet.

In class my kids tend to show plenty of personality and I joke around with them a lot and encourage personality, humour, expressions of self ect. AS long as they are speaking English I'm okay with conversations straying a bit and outside of class I don't mind talking to kids at all but outside of school? Kids I don't know? Most of the time they annoy me.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #396 on: October 05, 2015, 12:46:09 PM »

And...we need breaks too. It's our break time too. I think it's pretty reasonable to not be fond of kids bothering you during break unless it's something important. They should be playing or something during their break. They can do that without involving me.
Not to mention, during those break times the homeroom teachers in my schools are nowhere to be found. They are sent to me to be babysat

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #397 on: October 05, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »
The bus ride home after work has become so unbearable that I decided to take a taxi home today, to see how much more it'd cost me to that every afternoon rather than taking the bus. I figured I don't live all that far, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Boy, was I wrong. It was quite literally ten times more expensive to take a taxi.

Guess it's back to taking the bus and putting every ounce of self control I have into not murdering anyone.

Sigh.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #398 on: October 06, 2015, 07:55:20 AM »
The bus ride home after work has become so unbearable that I decided to take a taxi home today, to see how much more it'd cost me to that every afternoon rather than taking the bus. I figured I don't live all that far, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Boy, was I wrong. It was quite literally ten times more expensive to take a taxi.

Guess it's back to taking the bus and putting every ounce of self control I have into not murdering anyone.

Sigh.

Ugh. the bus is the absolute worst. My school is on a big mountain and the busdrops me at the bottom and i used to do the daily hike. One day i just thought enough is enough and now I take a taxi every day, luckily it only costs me about 5,000 won

Be strong! dont let the bus get you down  :P

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #399 on: October 06, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
I went into the hospital yesterday for a shoulder checkup and after an x-ray and walking around for 3 weeks in a painful sling, my doctor told me that he was wrong, it was not just a dislocated shoulder like he thought, it was ruptured ligaments. I am now scheduled for surgery in 2 days. And its scheduled for the same day I had surgery on for my knee last year. Heck and bother.