December 17, 2017, 08:22:45 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430147 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3240 on: April 03, 2017, 02:34:57 PM »
As a useless aside, a good friend of mine on Saturday was telling me about the great civil rights leader who spent decades in prison, and never complained, remained respectful; Howie Mandel.

I'll let you figure it out.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3241 on: April 03, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
As a useless aside, a good friend of mine on Saturday was telling me about the great civil rights leader who spent decades in prison, and never complained, remained respectful; Howie Mandel.

I'll let you figure it out.

I heard Mandel died in prison in the 80s.  :angel:

The only example of a Mandela effect that truly perturbs me is the Berenstein/Berenstain bears one though.  :lipsrsealed: :shocked:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3242 on: April 03, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
Your elementary school co-teachers are not even English teachers? 

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I never knew that.  How does that work then?

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #3243 on: April 03, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
Firstly, their majors aren't in education but rather art, sports, music, history, or anything else. But once they pass a written test they can be an elementary school teacher. Once employed by the school the teachers submit a request for different positions such a 5th grade teacher, 6th grade teacher, etc. They might get that and they might not. It's up to the vice principal and maybe some others. Co-teachers can be the kids' homeroom teachers. They may or may not show up to be present in the classroom, although the NET contract implies they should.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3244 on: April 03, 2017, 06:55:39 PM »
Ah got it.  Thanks for the explanation.

EPIK placements really are a lottery then in terms of co-teachers!

It's quite a strange setup really because that could result in kids being taught English by a native teacher with no experience or teaching credentials and a Korean teacher who can barely speak the language and might not even want to be there.  Tough gig!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3245 on: April 03, 2017, 07:31:28 PM »
Ah got it.  Thanks for the explanation.

EPIK placements really are a lottery then in terms of co-teachers!

It's quite a strange setup really because that could result in kids being taught English by a native teacher with no experience or teaching credentials and a Korean teacher who can barely speak the language and might not even want to be there.  Tough gig!

Not sure if other provinces are doing the same thing, but the Gyeongsang province has started this new thing where schools must choose between having a contract teacher or an EPIK teacher. They can't have both.

The logic behind this is to cut down on the amount of negativity that many EPIK teachers can find themselves in. The idea is a school (and by extension the faculty) must really want that EPIK teacher and will, therefore, create a more conducive and positive working environment for them.

No idea how well that theory will play out, but it's an interesting line of reasoning.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:19:31 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3246 on: April 04, 2017, 05:06:03 PM »
It would appear the Russians are invading with erotic pictures of spanners in a workshop.  :afro:

(What a waste of my 1000th post.  Nobody will know what I'm talking about tomorrow.  Well they're foreigners, they must know better. God, I hate us. We're so, you know, English. But, at least I'm sophisticated enough to know that. Am I coming across as smug? I'd better think of some funny pay-off. No, nothing springs to mind. Some English people like a cappuccino after lunch you know! Idiots. Parochial fools. I'm disgusted with myself, and quite clever at the same time. I wonder what's for tea?)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:11:20 PM by Dave Stepz »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3247 on: April 04, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
It would appear the Russians are invading with erotic pictures of spanners in a workshop.  :afro:

(What a waste of my 1000th post.  Nobody will know what I'm talking about tomorrow.  Well they're foreigners, they must know better. God, I hate us. We're so, you know, English. But, at least I'm sophisticated enough to know that. Am I coming across as smug? I'd better think of some funny pay-off. No, nothing springs to mind. Some English people like a cappuccino after lunch you know! Idiots. Parochial fools. I'm disgusted with myself, and quite clever at the same time. I wonder what's for tea?)

T'was at this point I chortled. 

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #3248 on: April 05, 2017, 08:41:48 AM »
I wish I could easily buy Easter treats in Korea. I dont care much for sweets anymore but actually this time of year I like them even more than Halloween haha. I miss Cadburys..the good stuff...

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3249 on: April 05, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »
I wish I could easily buy Easter treats in Korea. I dont care much for sweets anymore but actually this time of year I like them even more than Halloween haha. I miss Cadburys..the good stuff...

+1 I miss Cadbury's creme eggs  and back home I would buy a box of 48 marshmallow eggs and eat them until I felt a little ill. I miss that so much.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3250 on: April 05, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »

+1 I miss Cadbury's creme eggs  and back home I would buy a box of 48 marshmallow eggs and eat them until I felt a little ill. I miss that so much.
When I was a kid you could only get that stuff at Easter time too, but now in Canada certain items, creme eggs, mini eggs, you can get all year round now...because they are awesome. Things like peeps and big chocolate bunnys, not so much hehe.  Maybe I'll ask for a care package when its all on sale :D

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3251 on: April 05, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »

When I was a kid you could only get that stuff at Easter time too, but now in Canada certain items, creme eggs, mini eggs, you can get all year round now...because they are awesome. Things like peeps and big chocolate bunnys, not so much hehe.  Maybe I'll ask for a care package when its all on sale :D

I think it is time for me to request a care package too.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3252 on: April 05, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
I miss the Cadbury creme eggs they had when I was kid. The ones they have now are fine and I still like them, but the changes they've gone through between then and now aren't small and they make me pout.

In other news, my kitchen is immaculate, but my living space looks like Chernobyl. I need to get my shit together.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3253 on: April 05, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »
I was at High Street Market this weekend, and they had a selection of Easter-y treats. I didn't notice the price, except for the chocolate bunnies (which were $10-12), but they did have creme eggs and peeps. They also had sour watermelon flavored peeps, which somewhat intrigued me as I have never liked peeps, but I love sour fruit flavors.

Also, I am equally confused about the Berenstein Bears Mandela effect.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3254 on: April 05, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »
I was at High Street Market this weekend, and they had a selection of Easter-y treats. I didn't notice the price, except for the chocolate bunnies (which were $10-12), but they did have creme eggs and peeps. They also had sour watermelon flavored peeps, which somewhat intrigued me as I have never liked peeps, but I love sour fruit flavors.

Also, I am equally confused about the Berenstein Bears Mandela effect.
I wish they would put up a location in Busan or something hehe. I know you can order from there, but its nice to walk in and look around.  :undecided:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3255 on: April 05, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »

Thing is when you are young, Cadbury Creme Eggs are ace, and you can't get enough of them.  Then as you get older and your chocolate tastes become more refined, you realise they are way too sugary.  I do miss Easter eggs though.   :sad:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3256 on: April 05, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »

Thing is when you are young, Cadbury Creme Eggs are ace, and you can't get enough of them.  Then as you get older and your chocolate tastes become more refined, you realise they are way too sugary.  I do miss Easter eggs though.   :sad:

I bet they'd make a great ingredient in some baked good, though.

I'd love to see an episode of Sweet Genius where they'd have to use creme eggs for a cake or something.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3257 on: April 05, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »

I'd love to see an episode of Sweet Genius where they'd have to use creme eggs for a cake or something.
Woah woah. Sweet Genius? I've never heard of that before. I love cooking shows, so I'm gonna be looking that up later.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3258 on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »

Woah woah. Sweet Genius? I've never heard of that before. I love cooking shows, so I'm gonna be looking that up later.

Duly noted.  I used to like watching stuff like Chopped and Cake Boss and one where they had cupcake competitions.  Love me some food shows

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3259 on: April 05, 2017, 12:28:52 PM »
~On this episode, we're making a Cadbury Creme Egg cheese cake with a graham cracker crust and Creme Egg fondant!~

Translation: Literal poison you put in your mouth.

:3

All in all, that's not a bad way to die. c;

Yeah, really love this show. Basically both professional and amateur-but-talented chefs/cooks compete against each other and have to use whatever ingredient Ron Ben-Israel (world reknown pastry chef) presents them with to make whatever dessert. Sometimes the ingredients make sense to use with desserts, but other times it's off-the-wall shit... like I think duck meat was one.

Sadly, show was canceled after season 3, but I still love watching it and hope that they bring it back someday.