December 16, 2017, 03:28:27 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429519 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2740 on: February 06, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
I have some students see waygook and it's funny hearing them read the name of the website then watching them figure out what it actually means.

I actually try to hide my browser from my students so that they don't see the waygook tab because I don't want them snooping around on here during their free times, lol.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2741 on: February 06, 2017, 11:12:41 AM »
Soooooo what's everyone doing for these three 1/2 pointless days of school? Trying to gauge how much "try" I have in me.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #2742 on: February 06, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »
Soooooo what's everyone doing for these three 1/2 pointless days of school? Trying to gauge how much "try" I have in me.

Legiterally studying Korean. Like for real this time.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2743 on: February 06, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
I have some students see waygook and it's funny hearing them read the name of the website then watching them figure out what it actually means.

I actually try to hide my browser from my students so that they don't see the waygook tab because I don't want them snooping around on here during their free times, lol.
I've signed some of my students up with Waygook accounts and have encouraged the highest level ones to take part in this community in order to improve their English communication skills. I did this around the same time when some of the more obnoxious new posters appeared.
But that's probably just a coincidence. :smiley:

*Lies. All lies.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2744 on: February 06, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »

You are doing what I should be doing. Realistically though, I feel no motivation for studying now as I'm just gonna go on vacation soon. Legit plan to resume studies once the new school year starts though.

As for now, gonna continue doodling pictures and watching TV in the background. I'm on season 6 of Law & Order SVU. I started season 1 after winter camp. Lol. Got in a few seasons of Supernatural & Adventure Time too. And I'm all caught up on How to Get Away with Murder. WHO DID IT ALREADY

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2745 on: February 06, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »

You are doing what I should be doing. Realistically though, I feel no motivation for studying now as I'm just gonna go on vacation soon. Legit plan to resume studies once the new school year starts though.

As for now, gonna continue doodling pictures and watching TV in the background. I'm on season 6 of Law & Order SVU. I started season 1 after winter camp. Lol. Got in a few seasons of Supernatural & Adventure Time too. And I'm all caught up on How to Get Away with Murder. WHO DID IT ALREADY

Lucky little dumplings. I have class. :[

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2746 on: February 06, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
Unlucky bun D: I typically only have classes at my main school during graduation week as the elementary schools and other middle school have different schedules. But I'm not expected to actually teach anything so it's super laid back. Just do crafts/games

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #2747 on: February 06, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »

I've been taking breaks throughout the day to catch up on stuff I missed over the weekend: Alone, Saturday Night Live, Bill Maher...etc

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2748 on: February 06, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
3.5? I had school for three days last week and all of this week. In my classes we're finishing up the textbook, learning about Konglish and playing bananagrams. Classes are pretty much planned so with the extra time I'm teaching myself to read crochet patterns. I really should start studying Korean, though. I told myself I'd put more effort into it this year.

Lots of my kids are playing Pokemon Go, and they were surprised to hear that I play too. It was fun to show them which ones I have and talk about what they've caught. It's nice to be able to connect with them over little things like this.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2749 on: February 07, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
There's a new student!! This is a first for my main middle school. There have been new faces and those that disappeared at all my other schools but now it's finally hit home base.

It's kinda weird to see a fresh face here

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2750 on: February 07, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
Lots of my kids are playing Pokemon Go, and they were surprised to hear that I play too. It was fun to show them which ones I have and talk about what they've caught. It's nice to be able to connect with them over little things like this.

Pokemon Go would actually be a great topic for a lesson, especially since the names of (all?) the Pokemon are different in korean. and a lot lamer too imo. for example Charmander is simply called "Fiery" in korean. but you can explain things like how Charmander is a combination of "char" which means "to burn" and "salamandar", or how "bulbasaur" is a combination of the words "bulb" (as in a flower bulb to be exact) and "dinosaur". i explained some of these to me korean GF and she was blown away.

"pikachu" comes from the japanese "pika" which means to glitter, flash, or sparkle, and "chu" which is the sound a mouse makes in japanese (like 'squeak').

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2751 on: February 08, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
the kid who's been hanging around my desk snuck up and put his face almost right next to me and made a low groaning noise to startle me while I was listening to music

:blank: :laugh:

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #2752 on: February 08, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »
Been doing freelancing online writing. Making that dough during deskwarming. Three weeks left before I'm out! :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2753 on: February 08, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
I keep feeling like everyone's in a bad mood today, but no one really is. In fact, everyone's been super upbeat and zippy.

Maybe it's because it's Wednesday.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2754 on: February 08, 2017, 12:32:10 PM »

Pokemon Go would actually be a great topic for a lesson, especially since the names of (all?) the Pokemon are different in korean. and a lot lamer too imo. for example Charmander is simply called "Fiery" in korean. but you can explain things like how Charmander is a combination of "char" which means "to burn" and "salamandar", or how "bulbasaur" is a combination of the words "bulb" (as in a flower bulb to be exact) and "dinosaur". i explained some of these to me korean GF and she was blown away.

"pikachu" comes from the japanese "pika" which means to glitter, flash, or sparkle, and "chu" which is the sound a mouse makes in japanese (like 'squeak').

One day I had a grand total of 2 kids show up for a class so my and my CT just did a freetalking lesson that turned into me explaining pokemon names to them becuase they just wanted to talk about pokemon. It was fun watching one kid pretty much die inside when he realized that ninetails was literally nine tails. But in any case those 2 kids enjoyed it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2755 on: February 08, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
One of my classes literally has 2 students. I also have 4 other classes where complete attendance means 3 students in each of those. Lol

I should integrate Pokemon names into a future lesson, lots of my elementary schoolers love Pokemon. I had them make Pokemon Christmas cards last year and most of them seemed fairly excited

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2756 on: February 09, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
One of my classes literally has 2 students. I also have 4 other classes where complete attendance means 3 students in each of those. Lol

I should integrate Pokemon names into a future lesson, lots of my elementary schoolers love Pokemon. I had them make Pokemon Christmas cards last year and most of them seemed fairly excited

When my friend visited me I had him bring up some of my old pokemon cards (i say old but they're from like 5 years ago cuz i'm a nerd who played in leagues in college) so I give them out as prizes to my students. It gets they to practice phonics and they're like "wtf there are different names for pokemon?"

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2757 on: February 09, 2017, 09:00:28 AM »
!!! Brilliant!! I should get some old poke cards. I bet the commons oughta be super cheap nowadays. Back in school I spent $10 on a "Happy Birthday Pikachu" card. Cutest thing ever and still not gonna get rid of it hahahah

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2758 on: February 09, 2017, 09:19:46 AM »
!!! Brilliant!! I should get some old poke cards. I bet the commons oughta be super cheap nowadays. Back in school I spent $10 on a "Happy Birthday Pikachu" card. Cutest thing ever and still not gonna get rid of it hahahah

Yeah commons are worth nothing now, you can get them from the site troll and toad for next to nothing, cheaper than candy :P And then the kids get a reward that isn't a sugar high.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2759 on: February 09, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
I've been given the chance to change my apartment for the coming school year and I'm thinking of doing it.

Love my current apartment but my new neighbours are a little bit noisy.

My plan would be to get an officetel at the top of a building.  Generally, is the noise insulation better in officetels?  Or does it differ case by case in which case moving is just another lottery?