December 15, 2017, 09:57:01 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429368 times)

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2040 on: November 16, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
There's no way you think the instant coffee here tastes better than the keurig/tassimo coffee though.

Cheaper though.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2041 on: November 16, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
For our Golden Bell each grade is competing separately, but there are more than 100 kids in each grade. They were planning on giving each kid a whiteboard to write their answers on, and I told them weeks ago that we don't have enough whiteboards for that. They just dismissed me and assumed that I must be mistaken. Well today they counted the whiteboards, and 오모 오모 오모 we don't have enough! Now everyone in the office is going,"어떻게? 어떻게!?" I'm fine with the students writing their answer in a notebook, but I'm curious about what my CTs' solution will be.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2042 on: November 16, 2016, 01:28:29 PM »
There's no way you think the instant coffee here tastes better than the keurig/tassimo coffee though.

No, Keurig and Tassimo are definitely better than instant coffee. But I don't think the difference is world's apart enough to justify the difference in cost. If I'm going to spend that much money on coffee anything, it'll be on good beans that will taste so much better even if I brew in a cheap machine. xD

But if I was stuck with a choice between instant or Keurig/Tassimo... yeah, I'll go with Keurig/Tassimo.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2043 on: November 16, 2016, 01:33:34 PM »
I never did see why Keurigs and Tassimos were so popular back home. I tried both and, honestly, what I got from them didn't taste all that great. Seems like a waste of money. I'd rather spend it on good beans.

I really love those meat-stuffed steamed dumplings here but FACK if they don't make your breath smell bad for a while.

I brush my teeth and drink tea or water afterwards but it can only do so much to stem the tide against what rises up from the stomach.

Pod coffee makers are awful. They make garbage coffee on par with instant sticks (not Maxium, but just plain, unsweetened instant coffee) or worse. They're offensively expensive. And they're bad for the environment. But mostly you're spending a lot of money for a miserable tasting product.

Also, I think it's all the grease life in those dumples that really makes the smell stick. I know exactly what you mean. Brush and brush, but it never goes away.

One of my family members back home bought my wife and I one for Christmas. That stuff was horrendous. It came out lukewarm and tasted like piss.

Brewed coffee for life.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2044 on: November 16, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »

No, Keurig and Tassimo are definitely better than instant coffee. But I don't think the difference is world's apart enough to justify the difference in cost. If I'm going to spend that much money on coffee anything, it'll be on good beans that will taste so much better even if I brew in a cheap machine. xD

But if I was stuck with a choice between instant or Keurig/Tassimo... yeah, I'll go with Keurig/Tassimo.

It's... it's the first time we haven't agreed on something. ㅠㅠ

I don't know, some instant life is pretty decent. I'd rather have something that was intentionally dried out, stored in a little pouch and meant to have water added months to years later, than a K-cup which does all those same things, but advertises itself as 'good.'

See, I like the variety that I can get with Keurig/Tassimo. But damn the costs, they do hurt. At the same time, though, the only instant coffee I actually like is G7. The rest I can and will drink, but I'll be making a face the whole time.

Instant coffee comes in handy for baking stuff, I'll give it that.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2045 on: November 16, 2016, 01:52:37 PM »
Daaaaaang yeah, G7 is #based. And hilariously cheap. But yeah, I buy whole beans and grind them myself because it takes less than a minute to make a pot of coffee in my Bodum. But at work, instant all the way. Kanu is decent. G7 is best. Starbucks Via is hilariously overpriced but tastes sort of okay.

Yes, whole beans are the way to go. As long as they're an option, everything else will always be third best for me.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2046 on: November 16, 2016, 02:10:16 PM »
I swear my upstairs neighbor never sleeps and just stomps around and opens drawers all night. One night, they started about 10p and it kept going until 2am. THEN it started back up again at 5am. The past couple of nights, I just knock on the ceiling, and the stomping usually quiets down within a few minutes.

WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE DOING THAT REQUIRES YOU TO PACE EVERYDAY FOR 7 HOURS??

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2047 on: November 16, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »

I don't know, some instant life is pretty decent. I'd rather have something that was intentionally dried out, stored in a little pouch and meant to have water added months to years later, than a K-cup which does all those same things, but advertises itself as 'good.'

See, I like the variety that I can get with Keurig/Tassimo. But damn the costs, they do hurt. At the same time, though, the only instant coffee I actually like is G7. The rest I can and will drink, but I'll be making a face the whole time.

Daaaaaang yeah, G7 is #based. And hilariously cheap. But yeah, I buy whole beans and grind them myself because it takes less than a minute to make a pot of coffee in my Bodum. But at work, instant all the way. Kanu is decent. G7 is best. Starbucks Via is hilariously overpriced but tastes sort of okay.

Also at @Loki - yeah. Literally tastes like warm, brown piss.

I prefer the instant (black, not mixed) over the Keurigs as well. I have never tried G7 but I really don't think Kanu is that bad, which is what I drink every day at work. :laugh: I bring my own since my school only provides Maxim lately, but it's been good enough for me. :laugh: (I don't pay into any sort of funds, for anyone who is curious, so I can't ask them to buy Kanu just for me haha I've offered to pay before, but they always tell me not to worry about it and still let me reap all the benefits.)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2048 on: November 16, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »

Also at @Loki - yeah. Literally tastes like warm, brown piss.

I prefer the instant (black, not mixed) over the Keurigs as well. I have never tried G7 but I really don't think Kanu is that bad, which is what I drink every day at work. :laugh: I bring my own since my school only provides Maxim lately, but it's been good enough for me. :laugh: (I don't pay into any sort of funds, for anyone who is curious, so I can't ask them to buy Kanu just for me haha I've offered to pay before, but they always tell me not to worry about it and still let me reap all the benefits.)

Yeah, Kanu is literally decent. I honestly think that their instant coffee game is on point here.

Honestly, I find Kanu to be better than even the "coffee" or Americano that you get from most coffee chains in Korea. There are some independent stores in my area though that have some really good hand drip coffees.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2049 on: November 16, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
Franchise coffeeplaces in Korea:

Consistently great and affordable - Dunkin Donuts (only the 'Manhattan Drip' style, their American is trash filth)

Overpriced, but consistent and honestly not bad - Starbucks (basically everything. Their drip coffees are better than their greasy, over-roasted espresso, though)

Cheap and consistently good, and always piping hot - McDonald's

Cheap and big, but terrible and owned by a terrible human being - Paik's Coffee

Cheap and garbage, but at least it's cheap - Super Coffee

Overpriced trash - everything else

If I had to rate them:

If you're trying to save money:
1. Dunkin
2. McDonald's
3. Starbucks

If you're not trying to save money:
1. Starbucks
2. Dunkin
3. McDonald's

I'm so glad I'm alone in my classroom because I audibly laughed at this, especially the "cheap and garbage, but at least it's cheap" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2050 on: November 16, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
I'm glad Keurigs aren't a thing here since k-cups are so bad for the environment.  I feel like Koreans would go absolutely batshit nuts over them.  Though would they really be that much worse than the maxim sticks?

I know the guy with Korean rights to Keurig.

Costco was the first to get them.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2051 on: November 17, 2016, 07:48:47 AM »
I saw a guy fighting with a piece of paper this morning. It started off with it getting stuck on the man's foot. He tried to shake it off but it wouldn't budge, so he used his fingers and, to my dismay, violently whipped it back to the ground and started loudly berating it. It was a verbal massacre, went on for a good 20-30 seconds. He finally spit at it and left, and I'm just walking along, questioning the man's decisions, when I finally came upon this hapless piece of paper and realized that it was a used, shitty baby wipe.

We are all victims here in this game of Life.

YoungMin

« Reply #2052 on: November 17, 2016, 08:02:39 AM »
I saw a guy fighting with a piece of paper this morning. It started off with it getting stuck on the man's foot. He tried to shake it off but it wouldn't budge, so he used his fingers and, to my dismay, violently whipped it back to the ground and started loudly berating it. It was a verbal massacre, went on for a good 20-30 seconds. He finally spit at it and left, and I'm just walking along, questioning the man's decisions, when I finally came upon this hapless piece of paper and realized that it was a used, shitty baby wipe.

We are all victims here in this game of Life.

Hahaha. Poor bloke. Sometimes all it takes is a used shitty baby wipe to see that we are all the same deep down inside.

I found a massive blue bag of used food waste just sitting in the elevator at my apartment last weekend. It ****** stank. I thought, oh someone has brought all their crap down to the recycling area and couldn't get this out in time for the doors closing so I waited next to the elevator and no one came back to claim it. No one outside mucking around. Someone had literally just dumped a giant open bag of food waste in the elevator and thought **** this, let's make someone else clean it up. Top banter to be fair.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2053 on: November 17, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
I put the bag of sweet potatoes that worried-about-my-lunch cot gave me on the shared snack table because I knew I couldn't eat them. They were spirited away and I assumed they were just put in the fridge to eat today.

They have not returned.

I hope, wherever they are, they are happy and appreciated. I'm sorry I rejected you, sweet potatoes. We just weren't meant to be.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2054 on: November 17, 2016, 09:06:08 AM »
I put the bag of sweet potatoes that worried-about-my-lunch cot gave me on the shared snack table because I knew I couldn't eat them. They were spirited away and I assumed they were just put in the fridge to eat today.

They have not returned.

I hope, wherever they are, they are happy and appreciated. I'm sorry I rejected you, sweet potatoes. We just weren't meant to be.
Were they roasted or boiled? I like both but I love the roasted ones.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2055 on: November 17, 2016, 09:16:39 AM »

They have not returned.

I'm not sure tbh. I didn't check. All I knew is no matter what the variety it was way more sweet potatoes than I could be responsible for.

The last bag I was given were roasted, though.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2056 on: November 17, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »

They have not returned.

I'm not sure tbh. I didn't check. All I knew is no matter what the variety it was way more sweet potatoes than I could be responsible for.

I remember the first time I bought roasted sweet potatoes, I was expecting just one potato and I got a 5lb bag of them. Waaaaay too many.  :huh:

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2057 on: November 17, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »
A teacher at my school gave me and another teacher a bag of sweet potatoes from his garden. Uncooked.  I've been enjoying them for breakfast or dinner. 

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2058 on: November 17, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »

They have not returned.

I remember the first time I bought roasted sweet potatoes, I was expecting just one potato and I got a 5lb bag of them. Waaaaay too many.  :huh:

I ate like half of the ones I was given on monday and put the rest in my purse to put in the fridge when I got home. Yesterday I was putting something in my purse and realized I had never taken the sweet potatoes out. Yuck.

(they were in a plastic bag though)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2059 on: November 17, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
A teacher at my school gave me and another teacher a bag of sweet potatoes from his garden. Uncooked.  I've been enjoying them for breakfast or dinner.

I wouldn't mind if I was given uncooked sweet potatoes. Then I could eat them at my leisure. But 6 or 7 cooked sweet potatoes at once is just overwhelming.