December 15, 2017, 09:53:21 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429366 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1860 on: November 03, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »
Do people read those ratings on FB? Not having a go at the Kebab place. I'm sure it's good.
I've had friends ask me to 'like and review' their business that was literally created 5 minutes ago on the can and never done a job or sold a cashnew nut and its got 12 5* reviews from friends. Total horseshit man.
Something to keep in mind, I agree. But I thought I would put that info out there anyway, in case anyone cared. The 1,200 'likes' on their page is probably a much better indicator. :undecided:
What's their minimum order for deliveries, do you know? A couple of us in Yeosu are VERY excited about this prospect, LET ME TELL YOU.
According to their page, "Hummus and Falafel days" have no minimum order. I made an order of 20,000 and they delivered it. I assume that since the customer pays for shipping, it doesn't really matter to them? I guess that would be a good question to ask if and when you message them your order.
We decided to pool our orders because shipping costs are kinda high (they're a very small business) and a pooled order would mean a better economy of scale shipping wise.

Man, i feel like should be asking them for money, doing all this rep work!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:20:24 PM by kyndo »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1861 on: November 03, 2016, 01:05:28 PM »
Whoo, I'm a super waygook now!
It feels good, doesn't it?

It's weird like, I know the ranking thing is just supposed to be a fun goal thing but I remember back when I started posting I felt like I was just some rando and not really part of the ~community~ and somewhere towards the end of my time as a two-star member I started to be like oh, I really am like a regular. So the three-star is just an extra boost.  :cheesy: :cheesy:
I was basically just a lurker for my first 2.5-3 years, and my stars all came in the last year or so. It felt like I would never leave the basic level, then all of a sudden, I'm super!  :laugh:

:laugh: I was the same way. I lurked under a different name for a year but then forgot my password when I switched schools, registered under this one, and lurked for another year before posting.
I only figured out what your name came from yesterday... it's on the coffee I've been drinking since the start of the academic year.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1862 on: November 03, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »
Whoo, I'm a super waygook now!
It feels good, doesn't it?

It's weird like, I know the ranking thing is just supposed to be a fun goal thing but I remember back when I started posting I felt like I was just some rando and not really part of the ~community~ and somewhere towards the end of my time as a two-star member I started to be like oh, I really am like a regular. So the three-star is just an extra boost.  :cheesy: :cheesy:
I was basically just a lurker for my first 2.5-3 years, and my stars all came in the last year or so. It felt like I would never leave the basic level, then all of a sudden, I'm super!  :laugh:

:laugh: I was the same way. I lurked under a different name for a year but then forgot my password when I switched schools, registered under this one, and lurked for another year before posting.
I only figured out what your name came from yesterday... it's on the coffee I've been drinking since the start of the academic year.

Mmmmm coffee... Speaking of which, I should just bring my own kettle to school. I tried to go to the teacher's office during lunch to make myself a cup but they were having a meeting. >:(

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1863 on: November 03, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »
wait there's a coffee brand called yirgacheffe?

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1864 on: November 03, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
I don't know if it's also a brand, but apparently it's the name of a type of bean. Ethiopean Yirgacheffe.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1865 on: November 03, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »
I don't know if it's also a brand, but apparently it's the name of a type of bean. Ethiopean Yirgacheffe.
It's a district (and township) in Ethiopia that's well known for coffee production. Many popular brands, like Kopavogur and Villa Las Estrellas are named after the region in which the coffee beans are harvested.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:50:11 PM by kyndo »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1866 on: November 03, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
I've learned something new today.

Now I'll just envisage a giraffe sipping a cup o' joe.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1867 on: November 03, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
It's a district (and township) in Ethiopia that's well known for coffee production. Many popular brands, like Kopavogur and Villa Las Estrellas are named after the region in which the coffee beans are harvested.

Thanks. Sharing is caring.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1868 on: November 03, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »
Thanks. Sharing is caring.
My pleasure!
 I'm especially fond of Villa Las Estrellas but they don't seem to have any of it here, even on Gmarket. If any of y'all find any, lemme know! :smiley:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1869 on: November 03, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »

:azn: Yep. You won't typically see them in the chain shops like Starbucks or A Twosome Place or whatever, but if you go to the local shops that roast their own beans and such, there will usually be two to five different beans, all named after the region that they're from.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1870 on: November 03, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »
Also, I just fell asleep at my desk, but luckily I have my own classroom in a semi-secluded part of the building.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1871 on: November 03, 2016, 02:21:25 PM »
one of my students just came up and saw me browsing facebook and asked me to add her. I told her that I would when I leave, but I can't now because I'm her teacher.

I hope my kids do want to add me when I leave. I'd love to keep in contact with them.

Also, the way she asked was super cute. She pointed at the search bar and said "teacher, my name, friend plus!"  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:26:04 PM by moonbrie »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1872 on: November 03, 2016, 02:30:17 PM »
Am I think only one that thinks yirgacheffe (the coffee, not the wonderful Waygook.org user) tastes like butt? Maybe I've never had any that was roasted properly, but it always tastes really anemic and flat. Just... brown water.

:laugh: I don't know what you mean by flat but I've always found yirgacheffe the coffee to be slightly acidic and, maybe I'm a little crazy (I'm definitely not a coffee expert), but I've always thought it had faintly fruity undertones.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1873 on: November 03, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
Am I think only one that thinks yirgacheffe (the coffee, not the wonderful Waygook.org user) tastes like butt? Maybe I've never had any that was roasted properly, but it always tastes really anemic and flat. Just... brown water.

:laugh: I don't know what you mean by flat but I've always found yirgacheffe the coffee to be slightly acidic and, maybe I'm a little crazy (I'm definitely not a coffee expert), but I've always thought it had faintly fruity undertones.

응 I'm not good at English. By flat I meant kind of like, acidic and fruity without much uhh.... bass? Body? I don't know whatever ugh.

Oh. Well, I like the acidity. :laugh: As for the fruityness, I'm not a connoisseur :laugh: I only taste it sometimes but I wonder if it's the coffee or me. :laugh: :laugh:

I usually prefer something stronger, but I don't know... I really like the yirgacheffe when it's hand-dripped and done right, whatever that means. :blank: I should learn to make my own coffee. Some people say it's easy, but I feel like there is a technique?

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1874 on: November 03, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »

응 I'm not good at English. By flat I meant kind of like, acidic and fruity without much uhh.... bass? Body? I don't know whatever ugh.

Oh. Well, I like the acidity. :laugh: As for the fruityness, I'm not a connoisseur :laugh: I only taste it sometimes but I wonder if it's the coffee or me. :laugh: :laugh:

I usually prefer something stronger, but I don't know... I really like the yirgacheffe when it's hand-dripped and done right, whatever that means. :blank: I should learn to make my own coffee. Some people say it's easy, but I feel like there is a technique?

I'm something of a coffee cone-issuer. How do you make your coffee currently? Maybe I can help ypu improve

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1875 on: November 03, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »

I'm something of a coffee cone-issuer. How do you make your coffee currently? Maybe I can help ypu improve

I don't. :laugh: I just drink the instant stuff (not the Maxim mixed crap, though) because I can't be bothered with a coffee pot, and I don't like the taste of coffee pot coffee, anyway. Otherwise, I go to the local cafes. I've been wanting to buy the fancy stuff to make your own drip coffee, but I feel like it would just taste like coffee pot coffee since I don't know the proper techniques. Maybe I'll youtube it tonight.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1876 on: November 04, 2016, 07:47:31 AM »
It's Friday ~

I've never been so excited for a weekend that I have nothing planned for.

I also forgot to bake that mayo cake. But that can be one weekend activity.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1877 on: November 04, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
I'd like to get into making nice coffee at home but I hate it and prefer it milky.  Does that mean that making fancy coffee is a waste of time if I'm just going to pour milk into it?

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1878 on: November 04, 2016, 08:12:07 AM »
I'd like to get into making nice coffee at home but I hate it and prefer it milky.  Does that mean that making fancy coffee is a waste of time if I'm just going to pour milk into it?

Milk?! IN COFFEE?! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!

It's fine. I prefer it black, but I suppose even when you add milk, the quality of the actual coffee would make a difference. Just stay away from skim milk. Gross. (The taste. I don't know anything about the health benefits.) :azn:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1879 on: November 04, 2016, 08:20:47 AM »
Last night after classes, I was walking up in the back campus of school when I saw another teacher digging around in the ground with a little trowel. He speaks no english at all, but there was a student with me and she started talking to him and then he held up some tree roots he was excavating, and she relayed back to me that they were healthy.

Fast forward, and later he dropped this piece of cooked root in front of me to eat. No taste whatsoever, but hey, healthy!