December 17, 2017, 08:36:39 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430150 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1780 on: October 25, 2016, 02:16:40 PM »
Cool. I teach as young as 3rd grade and I don't see my kids getting scared but thought I'd feel out others' opinions. ^^

I did manage to find a Korean subtitled version of "This is Halloween" but it was on Korean youtube and won't be available if you're logged into an account that's not Korean. Fingers crossed it stays up (posted a few years ago so I feel it should be fine) otherwise they'll just have to deal hahah

Just download it. I've never had issues but I also don't rely on Youtube to work when I need it to. I showed a bunch of shorts this summer camp as a warm-up to each day but I downloaded all of them beforehand. :azn:

I downloaded it as an mp4 but my computer was unable to play it :( I even tried to convert it for windows media player but then the sound disappeared ><

This is This is Halloween (with Korean subtitles)~

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1781 on: October 26, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
The slippers I use at my travel school make me think of horses. Clip clop, clip clop.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1782 on: October 26, 2016, 01:26:19 PM »
A coworker has a large dried fish (like a foot and a half long) and is smacking it in the palm of his hand, saying, "This is my baseball bat" while another teacher is calling him a "gangster."

I just got back from my travel school and this is what's happening in the home office. Lol

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1783 on: October 26, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
I wish entertaining things like that happened at my school

my coteacher asked me if I wanted to renew yesterday. I told her no, as I had told anyone who asked me before how long I planned on staying and I said just the year. I apologized because I know the principal wants me to stay and it's less convenient for them to get a completely new teacher again who needs some time to figure everything out, and said I hoped to write some notes for the new foreign teacher and asked when they would know about the new teacher.

She said they weren't going to get a new foreign teacher next year  :blank:

I apologized again but she said it's fine and I'm not sure if it's just the standard placating "it's fine" or actually me being here has been inconvenient for everyone this year ....  :blank: :blank: :blank:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1784 on: October 26, 2016, 02:35:21 PM »

my coteacher asked me if I wanted to renew yesterday. I told her no, as I had told anyone who asked me before how long I planned on staying and I said just the year. I apologized because I know the principal wants me to stay and it's less convenient for them to get a completely new teacher again who needs some time to figure everything out, and said I hoped to write some notes for the new foreign teacher and asked when they would know about the new teacher.

I apologized again but she said it's fine and I'm not sure if it's just the standard placating "it's fine" or actually me being here has been inconvenient for everyone this year ....  :blank: :blank: :blank:

Man this worries me. I had to ask about renewal and apparently that won't happen until early December? Ugh I wish I knew.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1785 on: October 26, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
About renewing: I want to and my VP said she hopes I stay, but I haven't heard anything official yet. Hopefully I will soon, though, that way I'm not on tenterhooks just waiting.

The school talent show is tomorrow! I'm excited to watch it. Sadly I'll miss most of the little ones performing as I have 5th and 6th grade classes then, but watching the ones I can will be fun. I do wish they wouldn't turn everything into a competition though. They're all already comparing themselves to the other classes and saying who is better. It'd be nice if they could just have fun with things for once. :undecided:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1786 on: October 26, 2016, 02:39:02 PM »

Is this that boss co-T?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1787 on: October 27, 2016, 07:59:25 AM »

Is this that boss co-T?
haha fortunately no. it's my handler cot. All of my coteachers are nice and reasonable peoploe except the boss cot. Although my handler cot is very cold emotionally. Cheerful, yes, but never warm. So it's hard for me to read her.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1788 on: October 27, 2016, 08:26:11 AM »
I just watched a 5 nights at Freddy's video and jump scared myself at my desk. My coworker that was sitting next to me looked over very concernedly and asked what was happening and if I was ok. I just told her I was preparing for Halloween class.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1789 on: October 27, 2016, 10:13:09 AM »
I wish I had the self-discipline to overcome my deeply entrenched habit of procrastination.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1790 on: October 27, 2016, 10:40:12 AM »
A student left their notebook in class and I noticed a worksheet from the book titled, "Let's go to movie."   :undecided:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1791 on: October 27, 2016, 11:02:54 AM »
A student left their notebook in class and I noticed a worksheet from the book titled, "Let's go to movie."   :undecided:

One time I noticed my elem. 5th graders spelling a word incorrectly, "vesetable." I then saw that their worksheets from my coT (when she teaches alone and I'm at a diff. school) had it spelled that way.  :blank: :blank: I also had to correct "potatoes" but that one is at least a little more understandable.

Pretty sure she doesn't make her own worksheets and gets them from somewhere... but seems like she doesn't bother to actually check the materials.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1792 on: October 31, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »
Related to my Rant post. Went to GwanMunSa with my principal and another ajumma. REALLY NICE TEMPLE and I'M SICK OF TEMPLES SO THAT SAYS SOMETHING.

Anyway, they both know that I brew makgeolli. So we're at the temple and there are all of these bags of mepssal (great for starting a brew, not like chapssal). Anyhoo, I mention, "Wow, that looks like nice rice" and the ajumma says "Wow, Kevin, would you like some, it's on me."

This is 10 000W for a kilo of organic, preemo rice.

SURE.

"Here you are, Kevin. Now you can go place it in front of the Buddha statue."

:shocked: Should have known, hahahaha.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1793 on: October 31, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »
Maybe this is a bit short sighted but I've always wondered about it.  If you were born in Korea, lived abroad and then came back and so can speak both languages fluently (I mean native level English and Korean), aren't you incredibly valuable as a teacher?

I mean are people like that able to charge a much higher fee for tutoring?

The idea of being exposed to native level English but at the same time being able to get an accurate translation in Korean at the same time must be quite attractive.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1794 on: October 31, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »
Maybe this is a bit short sighted but I've always wondered about it.  If you were born in Korea, lived abroad and then came back and so can speak both languages fluently (I mean native level English and Korean), aren't you incredibly valuable as a teacher?

I mean are people like that able to charge a much higher fee for tutoring?

The idea of being exposed to native level English but at the same time being able to get an accurate translation in Korean at the same time must be quite attractive.

A friend of mine is just as you have described. He charges what I consider the normal rate. 50,000 an hour/person, which lowers depending on the number of hours or number of students.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1795 on: October 31, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
I wanted to post this on Friday but the site was down

So, on Friday my principal kept me after to talk to me. As usual, nothing "bad," just her wanting to talk. It continues to be a little awkward but it's nice to practice my listening in Korean in a "real life" context.

Conversation topics included:
Her telling me the "right way" to wash your hair. No, not joking. She'd been telling me for a month that she wanted to tell me the best way to wash hair, as if it was some amazing discovery she just made.
Talking about trot music
Talking about music education in the States
Her giving me "helpful" teaching tips like "be sure to speak loudly" and "explain things again more slowly and simply if a student doesn't understand" and "be sure to say hello to all the students". She also told me to be sure to say hello to all the Korean teachers because Korean people are shy and to especially say hello to the male teachers (???)

She also asked me how things were going with boss cot to which I responded "Things became a little bit okay" and told me to let her know if I have any more troubles with her

(On a related note, I told the nice cot that I had talked with the principal about boss cot before so if she wanted to talk to her about it, she would be sympathetic and take her seriously)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1796 on: October 31, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »
I wanted to post this on Friday but the site was down

So, on Friday my principal kept me after to talk to me. As usual, nothing "bad," just her wanting to talk. It continues to be a little awkward but it's nice to practice my listening in Korean in a "real life" context.

Conversation topics included:
Her telling me the "right way" to wash your hair. No, not joking. She'd been telling me for a month that she wanted to tell me the best way to wash hair, as if it was some amazing discovery she just made.
Talking about trot music
Talking about music education in the States
Her giving me "helpful" teaching tips like "be sure to speak loudly" and "explain things again more slowly and simply if a student doesn't understand" and "be sure to say hello to all the students". She also told me to be sure to say hello to all the Korean teachers because Korean people are shy and to especially say hello to the male teachers (???)

She also asked me how things were going with boss cot to which I responded "Things became a little bit okay" and told me to let her know if I have any more troubles with her

(On a related note, I told the nice cot that I had talked with the principal about boss cot before so if she wanted to talk to her about it, she would be sympathetic and take her seriously)

I wish anyone would talk to me about trot. Trot is the best. Also what's the best way to wash your hair? I always just shampoo and conditioner. If I use any leave-in product or anything, it's greasy.

I'll talk with you about trot, cowboy.

So, according to her, this is how to wash your hair

First, of all, you must wash it at night, because you are too busy in the morning. But remember that at night the oil comes out of your scalp. But it is best to wash your hair at night right before going to bed.

Because of all the oil that comes out of your scalp, when you wash your hair you really need to scrub and massage your scalp to get rid of all the oil. Don't use a lot of shampoo, but really rub it in. Don't put the shampoo on the rest of your hair, only the scalp. And be sure to massage it. Rinse it out one time, and then shampoo and rinse your scalp two more times, for a total of three times, because you really must be sure to get all the nasty oil off your scalp.

Then, use conditioner on the rest of your hair, but not on the scalp.

:rolleyes:

I mean, yes, some of this is common knowledge/intuitive: shampoo for the roots, conditioner for the ends, and it's less damaging to your hair to air-dry which is less inconvenient overnight. But it was just so bizarre because of her strong emphasis on how important it is to GET RID OF ALL THE OIL

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1797 on: October 31, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
Is anybody out there no-pooing? I think I'd like to try.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1798 on: October 31, 2016, 03:21:29 PM »

This may have a different connotation than you intended.  :wink:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1799 on: October 31, 2016, 03:23:21 PM »

I literally can't work out if this is rude or not.  Is this like when you eat barley bibimbap and you think you need to take a shit, but can't?  Is it then watched like dogging?