December 17, 2017, 08:33:48 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430150 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1620 on: October 14, 2016, 08:31:28 AM »
I swear, bathroom privacy here in Korea is non-existent.

Like when there's 6 urinals and you take the left one, away from the door, and a student comes in and uses the one second from the left and.............

"Hello, teacher."  :undecided:

"Uhhh, hi."  :blank:

At my travel elem. school, some younger students I don't teach (younger than grade 3) followed me into the bathroom, repeating a chorus of "Hello! Hello! Hello!" (I was in the stall at this point)

As it was awkward and I don't wish to encourage that behavior, I didn't reply. Once out of the bathroom I greeted them nicely. I hope they got the hint

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1621 on: October 14, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »
At work, I'm in the bathroom stall, doing my business.

I hear foot steps approach, getting closer to the bathroom.

I'm thinking "okay, whatever. Someone else is here in the bathroom."

I hear the footsteps right outside my stall door (mind you, there's 2 other stalls available with wide open doors).

The guy has the audacity to knock. I don't say anything because, what the hell. The door is closed, of course this stall is occupied.

3 seconds later, another few knocks and this guy tries to open the stall door.

I reply "uhh... Hello?  :lipsrsealed:"

He walks away.

It was the principal. What the hell. I swear, bathroom privacy here in Korea is non-existent.

Haha. I JUST got out of the bathroom after my morning coffee. I first went to the bathroom closest to my office which is in the first grade corridor. There's s**t and reams of toilet paper clogging EACH ONE of the toilets! (I'm lucky I didn't have to step over huge puddles of piss on the floor.) I go downstairs to use the Teachers Only bathrooms (which I don't like to use because all the teachers use them and too often someone else walks in when I'm trying to do my business in peace), but on my way I see the cleaning lady is in the middle of cleaning the female Teachers Only bathroom. Thinking I'm avoiding an awkward "잠시만요" with her when she inevitably comes in to clean the men's bathroom, I walk across to the next corridor and settle down in the accessibility stall of the bathroom across from the principal's office. I'm not sitting down for more than two minutes when the cleaning lady walks in and knocks on my stall door! And mind you from her direction there's another female bathroom between where she was and the bathroom I was occupying.  "잠시만요." :cry:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:47:00 AM by donovan »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1622 on: October 14, 2016, 08:53:21 AM »
Ahh. Well at least she wasn't a jerk about it then. Maybe you can nicely tell her that [next time] more time to edit it would be better? If she's a sweet kid she may understand. She may honestly not have realized what a time commitment that would have been. Kids sometimes don't realize people aren't magic.

My roommate, on the other hand, was of adult age and clearly should have known better.

She probably overestimated her own writing. This has happened a lot with people in my life. They don't give me enough time to check their work because they didn't realize there would be that many mistakes to correct. They reach a certain level of English to where the Korean teachers can't detect their mistakes, so they don't realize how many they're still making.

I assume you're talking about Korean adults in your situation, but I've had full grown adults back home who speak English as their L1 who still couldn't put together a decent essay. I tore those papers apart (figuratively, not literally) and silently cried inside.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1623 on: October 14, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
I assume you're talking about Korean adults in your situation, but I've had full grown adults back home who speak English as their L1 who still couldn't put together a decent essay. I tore those papers apart (figuratively, not literally) and silently cried inside.

I once thought about being an English teacher (back home). Then when I was in college I got the sense of the rubbish many native speakers threw together for their papers. Once you get out of the general/required English courses it tends not to be so bad but...

One of my professors would complain about how some students would literally use text lingo/abbreviations in their papers. I mean honestly!!  >:(

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: EPIK Failure
« Reply #1624 on: October 14, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »
One of the best (and most useful) pieces of advice from my EPIK orientation was that if someone knocks on the door of your stall you can just knock back.

And they wonder why English education in Korea is failing :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1625 on: October 14, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »
One of the best (and most useful) pieces of advice from my EPIK orientation was that if someone knocks on the door of your stall you can just knock back.  You don't have to say anything! 

I believe George Michael used that method too.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1626 on: October 14, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
Some student in my grade 5 loves to beatbox (and he's pretty good too) so he was doing it to me and I was making shitty short Korean raps for laughs and a girl who was watching said,

"Teacher, no swag."  :rolleyes:

Stung more than it should have. hahahaa

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1627 on: October 14, 2016, 10:01:50 AM »

I once thought about being an English teacher (back home). Then when I was in college I got the sense of the rubbish many native speakers threw together for their papers. Once you get out of the general/required English courses it tends not to be so bad but...

One of my professors would complain about how some students would literally use text lingo/abbreviations in their papers. I mean honestly!!  >:(

I was a TA back when I was a university student. I would spend a lot of my time grading/proofreading papers.... a good deal of them were shockingly bad. Keep in mind, they were English L1 uni students at a state university! I have co-teachers who can write and spell better than those clowns. It just blows my mind when I think back on papers I read.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1628 on: October 14, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
One of the best (and most useful) pieces of advice from my EPIK orientation was that if someone knocks on the door of your stall you can just knock back.  You don't have to say anything! 

Anyone know why they knock on the stall doors?

Is it "gay code" for a hook up?

Odd.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1629 on: October 14, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »

Odd.

I usually slip a note under the door that says

Do you like me?  (circle one)
Yes
Ne
Maybe

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1630 on: October 14, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »

Odd.

It's a way of asking if the stall is occupied. If you knock back, they know it's occupied and move on to the next stall.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1631 on: October 14, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
Are you sure?

Isn't seeing the door locked with red indicator enough?

It works in other countries.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1632 on: October 14, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »
Are you sure?

A lot of times those things are broken or whatever, and they didn't used to be a thing, either, so a lot of the knocking is out of habit because who has time to pay attention to color these days?

YoungMin

« Reply #1633 on: October 14, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »
At my school I've walked into the bathroom with a woman talking a shit with the door open in the men's bathroom. It was one of the kid's parents. I was in shock for about 3 month.

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1634 on: October 14, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
Are you sure?

agreed. i ****** hate it when people knock when - clearly - the door is locked

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1635 on: October 14, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
At my school I've walked into the bathroom with a woman talking a shit with the door open in the men's bathroom. It was one of the kid's parents. I was in shock for about 3 month.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is brilliant.

Taking a shit
With the door open
In the gents

YoungMin

« Reply #1636 on: October 14, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
Are you sure?

agreed. i ****** hate it when people knock when - clearly - the door is locked

The cleaner always does that to me too. Does me natch in.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1637 on: October 14, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »
Why don't Koreans just mix toothpaste in with their meals to save time?

;D ;D ;D

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1638 on: October 14, 2016, 12:54:40 PM »
I like how chill Fridays usually are.

Today the windows are open, the sun is shining, birds are tweeting (in a pleasant, non-screechy manner!), there's a distant bumping bass in the background from the old people's festival...

Gonna stay in this weekend to catch up on sleep, housework, and relaxation.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1639 on: October 14, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
I like how chill Fridays usually are.

Today the windows are open, the sun is shining, birds are tweeting (in a pleasant, non-screechy manner!), there's a distant bumping bass in the background from the old people's festival...

Gonna stay in this weekend to catch up on sleep, housework, and relaxation.
But the weather is sooo goooood. Go out and enjoy it! Or stay in because it's your life, I just wanted to talk about how amazing the weather is.