December 17, 2017, 08:23:48 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430147 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1540 on: October 10, 2016, 08:29:59 AM »
I'm actually not that fond of turkey. Come Thanksgiving time, I'm all about the side dishes. Though I do enjoy a nice honeybaked ham.

Stuffing. Mashed potatoes with gravy. Pumpkin pie.
I can't wait to go home.
I like a little bit of turkey, but I'm all about that stuffing life. And pecan pie.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1541 on: October 10, 2016, 08:43:09 AM »
I'm actually not that fond of turkey. Come Thanksgiving time, I'm all about the side dishes. Though I do enjoy a nice honeybaked ham.

I can't wait to go home.
I like a little bit of turkey, but I'm all about that stuffing life. And pecan pie.
Why wait until you go home? Nearly every single foreigner run restaurant/bar/bookstore will be serving all of those things. If you're in the Daegu area, check out Buy the Book.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1542 on: October 10, 2016, 08:46:17 AM »

I can't wait to go home.
Why wait until you go home? Nearly every single foreigner run restaurant/bar/bookstore will be serving all of those things. If you're in the Daegu area, check out Buy the Book.
I clicked on the link you posted about it in the other thread and it looks like a pretty solid little cafe, Thanksgiving food aside.

But as long as the army base is here, I will get my stuff from there. But you're right, a lot of places will have stuff. Craftworks does a huge Thanksgiving buffet.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1543 on: October 10, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »
But as long as the army base is here, I will get my stuff from there. But you're right, a lot of places will have stuff. Craftworks does a huge Thanksgiving buffet.
Army base only works for Americans, though, right? And people who have military mates?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1544 on: October 10, 2016, 08:56:47 AM »
Army base only works for Americans, though, right? And people who have military mates?
Ahhh, thats actually quite likely. They do the same thing for the Fourth, we can get on base just showing our passport. It may be possible that you can call in an order and they deliver it. I think I've heard that before, but don't take my word for it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1545 on: October 10, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
Ahhh, thats actually quite likely. They do the same thing for the Fourth, we can get on base just showing our passport. It may be possible that you can call in an order and they deliver it. I think I've heard that before, but don't take my word for it.

What do you mean? You'll be going to a base to share a meal with the military folk, or they offer take-home thanksgiving fixin's? I've never heard of this before.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1546 on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »

What do you mean? You'll be going to a base to share a meal with the military folk, or they offer take-home thanksgiving fixin's? I've never heard of this before.
Haha, authentic Thanksgiving homestay opportunities!

The Dragon Lodge on base takes Thanksgiving orders. They cook everything up and then its available for pickup (and possibly delivery, but like I said, I'm not really sure). Its the whole fixings though, turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, and pumpkin pie. Its big though, for 6-8 people.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1547 on: October 10, 2016, 09:47:14 AM »
Last week was so glorious! I had half days Tues-Thurs due to tests and no school on Friday because ALL OF MY SCHOOLS HAD PICNIC DAYS! But I am dreading this week so much. I've been spoiled!

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1548 on: October 10, 2016, 10:30:47 AM »
I'm planning on going home for my winter vacation in January, but...

I really don't want to go all the way home to then come back and find out that my contract isn't renewed  :lipsrsealed:

Does anyone else worry about that?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1549 on: October 10, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
The Dragon Lodge on base takes Thanksgiving orders. They cook everything up and then its available for pickup (and possibly delivery, but like I said, I'm not really sure). Its the whole fixings though, turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, and pumpkin pie. Its big though, for 6-8 people.

That sounds glorious. And just think of the leftovers!! Leftovers are one of the best parts of Thanksgiving  :laugh:

YoungMin

« Reply #1550 on: October 10, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
Why don't Koreans just mix toothpaste in with their meals to save time?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1551 on: October 10, 2016, 10:51:50 AM »

Makes it harder to rinse away the chloromethylisothiazolinone

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1552 on: October 10, 2016, 10:52:19 AM »

That sounds glorious. And just think of the leftovers!! Leftovers are one of the best parts of Thanksgiving  :laugh:
It really is. I have had enough leftovers for multiple hot turkey-gravy sandwiches both times I have done that here.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1553 on: October 10, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »
So hungry right now... all this talk of Thanksgiving cuisine is surely going to make me disappointed at lunch hahah

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1554 on: October 10, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
Going to roast a chicken (or duck) with stuffing (turkey is just too hard to find here, especially small enough for my tiny oven) and make my own pumpkin and pecan pies this year. Don't plan on traveling anywhere, just going to go piggie-piggie with some friends.

They're bringing all the other stuff.

I'm just happy for the bird, stuffing, pie and mashed potatoes. Everything else is just whatever.

YoungMin

« Reply #1555 on: October 10, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »

Makes it harder to rinse away the chloromethylisothiazolinone
[/b]

Steady on mate it's Monday morning.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1556 on: October 10, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
Going to roast a chicken (or duck) with stuffing (turkey is just too hard to find here, especially small enough for my tiny oven) and make my own pumpkin and pecan pies this year. Don't plan on traveling anywhere, just going to go piggie-piggie with some friends.

They're bringing all the other stuff.

I'm just happy for the bird, stuffing, pie and mashed potatoes. Everything else is just whatever.

Do you make pumpkin pie from scratch?? I've never attempted it so maybe it's easier than I imagine it to be but I miss pumpkin pie so badly. :sad:

Also, you are not human if you think lemon curd is disgusting. :P

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1557 on: October 10, 2016, 11:17:48 AM »
Does anyone know if Costco sells pumpkin pie?
I'm jonesing hardcore for it now and I'm going tonight.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1558 on: October 10, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »
Does anyone know if Costco sells pumpkin pie?
I'm jonesing hardcore for it now and I'm going tonight.

I will cry literal tears of joy if I can get my hands on some pumpkin pie.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1559 on: October 10, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
Do you make pumpkin pie from scratch?? I've never attempted it so maybe it's easier than I imagine it to be but I miss pumpkin pie so badly. :sad:

If you get canned pumpkin filling it's easy as... well anyway, it's easy. They usually have a recipe right on the back. I wouldn't recommend trying with fresh pumpkin, though.