November 21, 2018, 09:35:49 AM

Author Topic: Site Moderation  (Read 38740 times)

Offline NMonk

• Veteran
Re: Disappointed in the WAYGOOK moderators
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »
Yep, like I said in my original post, the reason I love this site is because of the way it is moderated and more open, I guess my point, that maybe has gone off topic was, is there no way we can ban individuals rather than entire threads that are on interesting topics worth while of discussion and debate. If after one warning people don't respect that then kick them off and let the rest of us get on with having adult conversations.

I admit I should have named this thread 'DISAPPOINTED IN CHILDISH USERS FORCING MODERATORS TO CLOSE THREADS'.
Check out http://alienteachers.com for my blog, FREE lesson plans featured by the British Council and general living in Korea resources.

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »

Offline Ectofuego

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
You can only do so much to the "childish users."  If you ban their account, they can always make another one.

Its probably a good thing I am not a moderater here.  For fun, I would probably change the title of this thread to the

Super Happy Fun Moderators Are Awesome and Lovable

or something along those lines.  Tough the fact that this thread is alive still says something of the moderators and their superiority to eslcafe's.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
Yep, like I said in my original post, the reason I love this site is because of the way it is moderated and more open, I guess my point, that maybe has gone off topic was, is there no way we can ban individuals rather than entire threads that are on interesting topics worth while of discussion and debate. If after one warning people don't respect that then kick them off and let the rest of us get on with having adult conversations.

I admit I should have named this thread 'DISAPPOINTED IN CHILDISH USERS FORCING MODERATORS TO CLOSE THREADS'.

trollers will always exist and it's only natural for more to pop up as this site grows. that said, we'll (mods) do our best to control it.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline goulash

• Veteran
I've been on this site since it first started a number of years ago. I've seen it grow from about a dozen people, to about 10 000 and in all honesty, I've never seen another site with such useful resources and such AMAZING contributors. We have all tried to keep from becoming another Dave's and in no small amount, I think we have the Mods to thank for it being such a great thing.

To the moderators, all of whom are unpaid (and work a full time job) thank you for being such amazing, giving people. You are doing a wonderful job!

And to Arsalan, who started all of this, and who is still paying for it, OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET, think I can speak for everyone here when I say, without your efforts, all our lives here would be much more difficult.

THANK YOU!  ;D
Goulash
walkabout.wombat@gmail.com

Offline daninsanam

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
Personally I'd be happy if every forum not related to lesson plans was shut down.

1) Too damned much clutter.

2) I hate giving voice to morons, which is probably the #1 purpose of the internet

3) Just the idea that people will spend hours upon hours sharing their "opinions" (as fact) about everything related to Korea makes me nauseous
 :-X :-* >:(

+1

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
YOU people are NOT in the USA get used to your "normal" freedoms being disallowed!  (welcome to Korea)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Three words: The Patriot Act
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
I've been on this site since it first started a number of years ago. I've seen it grow from about a dozen people, to about 10 000 and in all honesty, I've never seen another site with such useful resources and such AMAZING contributors. We have all tried to keep from becoming another Dave's and in no small amount, I think we have the Mods to thank for it being such a great thing.

To the moderators, all of whom are unpaid (and work a full time job) thank you for being such amazing, giving people. You are doing a wonderful job!

And to Arsalan, who started all of this, and who is still paying for it, OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET, think I can speak for everyone here when I say, without your efforts, all our lives here would be much more difficult.

THANK YOU!  ;D

me too, thanks a lot!!!

siamagoo

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
Personally I'd be happy if every forum not related to lesson plans was shut down.

95% behind this idea.

I do think there should be a place for people to share stories and advice, and maybe vent a little about life in Korea (WaygookDubonchae anyone?). But I'm not sure that place should be the same website as we keep our collective school materials. Keep work life and private life separate, you know?

That way the moderators could moderate the hell out of the school site, and keep it as clean as we'd like our classrooms to be. And the second site could get a little messy (although hopefully not as messy as my one-room).

The real jewel of Waygook is the lesson plans and materials. Sometimes that seems to be overshadowed by all the other life-in-Korea stuff.

Offline epinephrine9

• Veteran

THANK YOU!  ;D

I have to admit, I've thought about this very point quite a few times. I see no reason why we (the users) shouldn't help out a little bit on the support side of this site. A Paypal link or something for us to donate a bit to keep the site running really shouldn't be out of the question, I don't think.

Not that this post is non-tangential, and on topic...  ::)

ItsMe

I agree with locking it, we should be supportive here & not cynical.

I would suggest locking this due to the fact that old debates are being dragged up.

Respect the mods, they do a good job & surely consult each other before locking a thread.

Moaning about locked threads should be seen as superfluous & against the rules.  It also serves no benefit to anyone, I believe such threads should be viewed as a breach of the rules.

Offline Briguyman

• Veteran
I agree. How DARE people say what they want to say. This IS Korea, after all.

Offline kerrym

• Veteran
I agree with siamagoo and be the ball! When I first registered here I thought "What an amazing site for teachers in Korea!" I still think the site is amazing, thanks to incredible moderators and contributors, but in the last few weeks, I've noticed an increase in posts by people who have posted 100's of times, but those posts have never included any useful material for other teachers. Just rants, responses and railing against the site, against Korea, against the world and against life. PLEASE if you must exorcise your considerable demons, just use Dave's ESL and let this site be a source of incredible creativity, inspiration and positive energy.'

Offline Briguyman

• Veteran
I agree with siamagoo and be the ball! When I first registered here I thought "What an amazing site for teachers in Korea!" I still think the site is amazing, thanks to incredible moderators and contributors, but in the last few weeks, I've noticed an increase in posts by people who have posted 100's of times, but those posts have never included any useful material for other teachers. Just rants, responses and railing against the site, against Korea, against the world and against life. PLEASE if you must exorcise your considerable demons, just use Dave's ESL and let this site be a source of incredible creativity, inspiration and positive energy.'

Even if creativity, inspiration and positive energy is in no way representative of ANY of our experiences in Korea?

Offline kerrym

• Veteran
Then leave Korea. Why put yourself through such misery?

Offline Briguyman

• Veteran
Then leave Korea. Why put yourself through such misery?

Working on it. I just think there's nothing healthy in only looking at the positive side of things and trying to eradicate even MENTION of the negative side of things. That is not embracing culture, it's trying to shape culture into what you want to believe it is, and what you want to take from it.

You don't really love something until you love their flaws, and why can't we talk about the flaws on here?

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
I'm new to this site. I've posted a lot. And I'm not always super-nice. So I could be very well one of the people that some folk are referring to above. But this site is fantastic. You can get materials, you can get things off your back that have been bugging you, you can get help with issues that you wouldn't otherwise have access too, and yes, you can have a good rant and debate with people you might not otherwise get a chance to.

I'm all for the mods closing whatever thread they choose. My only complaint there is when the original offensive post is left in place and no-one is given a chance to respond. Just delete it in my opinion.

But in the name of the Almighty Spaghetti Monster, if you don't like the discussion threads and just want the materials then...I can't even type it for fear of the obviousness nerve blowing up in my brain. You like your Power Points? Fire away. Use at your leisure. You like a debate? All steam ahead (as long as you follow the rules). You like a rant? Fill your boots.

But please stop this 'I like this bit but don't like this bit so close this bit down' childish fascism.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Offline Briguyman

• Veteran
I'm new to this site. I've posted a lot. And I'm not always super-nice. So I could be very well one of the people that some folk are referring to above. But this site is fantastic. You can get materials, you can get things off your back that have been bugging you, you can get help with issues that you wouldn't otherwise have access too, and yes, you can have a good rant and debate with people you might not otherwise get a chance to.

I'm all for the mods closing whatever thread they choose. My only complaint there is when the original offensive post is left in place and no-one is given a chance to respond. Just delete it in my opinion.

But in the name of the Almighty Spaghetti Monster, if you don't like the discussion threads and just want the materials then...I can't even type it for fear of the obviousness nerve blowing up in my brain. You like your Power Points? Fire away. Use at your leisure. You like a debate? All steam ahead (as long as you follow the rules). You like a rant? Fill your boots.

But please stop this 'I like this bit but don't like this bit so close this bit down' childish fascism.

I agree. I love the teaching materials, but the general board is also incredibly useful AND HEALTHY to me, as a teacher in an awful placement in a public school. I NEED to talk about some of this stuff, and I need to hear it too.

If you don't want a certain part of the board up, it takes absolutely zero effort on your part to not read it. It's like we're all in college, and some people don't like a certain class that they're in no way required to take, but they move to get it stricken from the uni anyway.

Offline Brian

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook

THANK YOU!  ;D

I have to admit, I've thought about this very point quite a few times. I see no reason why we (the users) shouldn't help out a little bit on the support side of this site. A Paypal link or something for us to donate a bit to keep the site running really shouldn't be out of the question, I don't think.

Not that this post is non-tangential, and on topic...  ::)

There used to be a PayPal link for donations at the top of the page, but it looks like it's gone now.  I'll see if Arsalan can put it back up. 

A poster earlier in this thread mentioned something about this being a pay-per-use site.  I don't see that ever happening, and it would be absolutely wrong to come to that because everything here is made by voluntary contributors, many of whom are long gone from Korea.  There are other ways to earn money---donations, Google Ads, recruiter ads---that will be used.  No reason for Arsalan to continue to pay for the site himself---hundreds of dollars a month--and I hope he'll eventually earn a profit from this resource.
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Visit me: http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com

siamagoo

If you don't want a certain part of the board up, it takes absolutely zero effort on your part to not read it. It's like we're all in college, and some people don't like a certain class that they're in no way required to take, but they move to get it stricken from the uni anyway.

I'll admit to some impulse control issues, so there is a small amount of effort involved in not reading the threads that pop up in the 'recently updated box'. But you're right. I should work on that.

I'll make my argument from the standpoint of the Korean teachers using this site (whether we want them to or not). Yes, we all need to blow off steam, but let's do it somewhere that isn't obviously a magnet for our coteachers. It would be nice if we could impress them with our professionalism, so that they think we're being all responsible and working on lesson plans. Threads about how to waste time while deskwarming can go somewhere that's harder for them to find, or at least less convinient.