August 20, 2018, 02:38:02 PM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: Site Moderation  (Read 37772 times)

Offline minamteacher

• Expert Waygook
  • AegNO >.<
Re: Moderators a bit over the top???
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
At least the general discussion still exists, right? Also, I have noticed zero over moderation in the teaching threads, so I am completely content with the current state of Waygook.

Offline Spongeblob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2011, 09:49:15 AM »
(Oh. No we arent in third grade trashing a mod and then saying just kidding doesnt mean you are getting away with it.  Be a Woman/Man and say what is on your mind.)
They will remember.
I tried and was punished for it.  Apparently a polite difference of opinion isn't always appreciated.  But, thanks for your input no matter how rude you second grade student you.  :D

Offline w4z

• Veteran
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
It's usually the same 30 people complaining about the same things in Korea, or bickering back and forth about political and racial issues.  Then a bunch of mods step in to warn you for saying curse words or complain that the topic you wrote already exists.  "Use the search function!!!", they say.  "I did".

I only check this sub forum for GEPIK/EPIK news and I try to only stick to the lesson plan stuff nowadays.  It is definitely over moderated.  It's still not as bad as Dave's though...

Offline Sara

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
Isn't that a dog that's been victimized by the Korean habit of spray-painting their pets?

You got me, it's a panda dog. I am against painting/dying/dressing up animals with the exception of those decorated in a panda pattern. That's right, panda-like things are my moral weakness...

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
Aw, the mods on waygook are okay.  I mean they've put up with me for a good while now without banning me.

In all seriousness though I will say they are much

1. More lenient than on dave's (but in a good way, not that I mean they allow blatant trolling)

2.  Much more polite and resonable when they do warn a poster

3.  Don't really seem to have an agenda and they allow critical, informed discussion of Korea as long as it is not vitriolic hating.  Dave's rarely allows this, though they have lightened up on it a bit over the last few weeks as their korea forums user traffick dropped shockingly low.

4.  They don't seem to have 'favorite posters.'  On dave's, you argue with tum, Fox, cc, sr and several others, even though those posters will abuse the tos blatantly and openly, YOU WILL get banned for arguing with them.  Notice that each of these posters are shameless apoligers for all and any korean behavior etc and will go for several pages using twisted logic and ammatuer attempts at clever debating strategies. Seems to be a lot of mod socks over there.

I would say (though I am biased) that I would be a good watermark so to speak. Whilst some of my posts regarding the state of the esl industry in this country and it's achievements are seen by the more conservative as controversial (though colorful and outspoken with an obvious tongue in cheek and warmth to fellow humanity would do better justice ;) I have gained the impression that if the mods on waygook feel you are being genuine; your argument or stance is based on real world experience; you are not attacking a poster directly; they can see from other posts (taking the whole poster into account so to speak) that you have offered help and advice - they are often very fair.

Offline johnthegreek

• Veteran
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »
Waygook should allow debates where everyone might not agree with each other more and in my case labelled a troll everytime I start a debate that gets people passionate and yeah a little upset if they disagree. Otherwise Waygook could become sterile and it will be a matter of time before people start a new Forum. Debate is what a forum is mainly about I thought? And debates gets heated and not everyone is going to agree.

One thing I think is well out of order. I was suspended form Waygook, ok no problem, unfair in my opinion.  But on the computer at work I use it flashed up that I was banned and made me look like a criminal when other teachers particularly a Conversation teacher would try to log into Waygook. Its not right to risk someones workplace beacuse you said something on a forum that upset a few people. This is a legitimate complaint and people should know this if they use Waygook at school and share a computer with Korean teachers who often use Waygook.

Offline summerthyme

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • cookie bank
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »

These boards are moderated a tad too much....."summerthyme" seems to have just a whole bunch of time on her hands to sit down and righteously decide what will stay on the board, and if it stays, how you can say it.

Oh no!  I've been caught!  Yes, instead of occupying myself with planning for my students and my job, I instead spend many many hours targeting users for posting things that I feel are personally offensive/stupid/a waste of space/etc ;)

m4l, I actually just read your message and PM'ed you before I saw this thread. 

I would like to remind all users that many moderators have access to many areas of the site, and just because a name is attached to a certain section does not mean they are the only person moderating that section of the site :)

Also, if you do not feel you have received a timely response to an inquiry, feel free to send another follow-up message or pm another moderator.
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
Waygook should allow debates where everyone might not agree with each other more and in my case labelled a troll everytime I start a debate that gets people passionate and yeah a little upset if they disagree. Otherwise Waygook could become sterile and it will be a matter of time before people start a new Forum. Debate is what a forum is mainly about I thought? And debates gets heated and not everyone is going to agree.

One thing I think is well out of order. I was suspended form Waygook, ok no problem, unfair in my opinion.  But on the computer at work I use it flashed up that I was banned and made me look like a criminal when other teachers particularly a Conversation teacher would try to log into Waygook. Its not right to risk someones workplace beacuse you said something on a forum that upset a few people. This is a legitimate complaint and people should know this if they use Waygook at school and share a computer with Korean teachers who often use Waygook.

You're right, it's not right to risk someone's workplace.  Watch what you say and you won't have a problem.  My biggest problem on this website are the trolls (there's 2 big ones nowadays as I highlighted in an earlier post).  If one gets the school IP address locked, don't blame the mods.  Rather, that person should be taking the blame from their co-teachers that have now been locked out of waygook.

This forum has to prevent trolls somehow, and screenname banning alone doesn't do it.  Makes sense, right?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline Spongeblob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »
Isn't that a dog that's been victimized by the Korean habit of spray-painting their pets?

You got me, it's a panda dog. I am {Spongeblob Edit} decorated in a panda pattern. That's right, panda-like things are my moral weakness...
Spongelblob Edit Notation:
Please refrain from refering to strange Panda Fetishes as it is a violation of our code of conduct.  Thank You. Thread now locked.  ;D

Offline Ectofuego

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
Thread unlocked due to spongeblob not being a mod.  Now I shall BAN-HAMMER HIM!! AHAHAHAHAAH!..  wait...I don't have the privilege.  CURSES!!   :laugh:
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline Spongeblob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
 ;) You guys are all good sports.  I honestly appreciate the hard work all of the moderators do and the razor sharp witt of everybody on this site.  It's a pleasure to debate and duel with all.  (Though  I think I lose more than I win.  :))  Hope this thread settles back into the dust from whence it came.  Everybody should be moving on to that more pleasant of topics ... 101 Uses for Kimchi. 

Offline WorkingTitle3484

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
Everybody should be moving on to that more pleasant of topics ... 101 Uses for Kimchi. 
Lol, I've once used it to sand down my boogie-board made of kimchi...
You get what you give :)

Offline m4l

• Waygookin
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »
Hope this thread settles back ........Everybody should be moving on to that more pleasant of topics ...

Yes I agree......It's been interesting to see people's viewpoints, experiences, and opinions-

This thread has now been locked!!!  (unless someone else wants to unlock it), or if a mod would like the satisfaction and lock it themselves :)

hilarity ensues

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
This forum has to prevent trolls somehow, and screenname banning alone doesn't do it.  Makes sense, right?

I agree.

I think the mods on this forum are completely reasonable. And about 'disagreement making a forum more lively'-- most of the time, it isn't debate or disagreement, it's flat-out antagonism.

I've seen it on Dave's, on this site, all over the net-- it's not enough to just disagree with someone, you have to mock them, insult them, call them names, be condescending and speak as if their holding the opinion that they hold is utterly ridiculous. It gets to the point where the actual issue/idea becomes irrelevant and it's all just a battle to see who can 'pwn' who in the name of their own huge raging ego... that's when you see people scouring the net for obscure facts that they don't even care about... ANYTHING not to lose the fight and look like a dork in front of someone who just called them out, or in some cases, to make sure the other person looks stupid because that's what gets them off.

So yeah, the way I see it is that the mods are perfectly okay with RESPECTFUL disagreement... but if you actually want to have a decent, insightful, worthwhile conversation you need to exercise tact and not be a jerk, make harsh judgments about things, or treat other people like inferiors. And if you DO, then at least have the good sense to apologize... or if you don't want to, back off. I'm sure that any rational human being is capable of realizing when they'd probably be better off just dropping the whole issue... even in Korea.   

Offline WorkingTitle3484

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
Hilarity that gave me tingles of excitement!  Very articulate insight!

...I realize I'm now turning into THAT guy...I need a break from waygook.  This feeling comes with old age, or having passed the 500 comment mark...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:02:45 PM by WorkingTitle3484 »
You get what you give :)

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »

I agree.

I think the mods on this forum are completely reasonable. And about 'disagreement making a forum more lively'-- most of the time, it isn't debate or disagreement, it's flat-out antagonism.

I've seen it on Dave's, on this site, all over the net-- it's not enough to just disagree with someone, you have to mock them, insult them, call them names, be condescending and speak as if their holding the opinion that they hold is utterly ridiculous. It gets to the point where the actual issue/idea becomes irrelevant and it's all just a battle to see who can 'pwn' who in the name of their own huge raging ego... that's when you see people scouring the net for obscure facts that they don't even care about... ANYTHING not to lose the fight and look like a dork in front of someone who just called them out, or in some cases, to make sure the other person looks stupid because that's what gets them off.

So yeah, the way I see it is that the mods are perfectly okay with RESPECTFUL disagreement... but if you actually want to have a decent, insightful, worthwhile conversation you need to exercise tact and not be a jerk, make harsh judgments about things, or treat other people like inferiors. And if you DO, then at least have the good sense to apologize... or if you don't want to, back off. I'm sure that any rational human being is capable of realizing when they'd probably be better off just dropping the whole issue... even in Korea.

Hilarity, that is the most absurd thing that I've ever heard. No wonder your name is "Hilarity" if all your posts are this funny.  :P

Hehe, just kidding. Some great points and well said. I suppose that because this is the internet, people are less inclined to care about who they offend because "it doesn't matter anyway, it's the internet, I'll never meet the guy." Something of a contradiction that someone would spend so much time disagreeing but at the same time acknowledge that what is said, doesn't really matter.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline Spongeblob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
Hope this thread settles back ........Everybody should be moving on to that more pleasant of topics ...

Yes I agree......It's been interesting to see people's viewpoints, experiences, and opinions-

This thread has now been locked!!!  (unless someone else wants to unlock it), or if a mod would like the satisfaction and lock it themselves :)

Well if I said it you know it's good advice.  :D

Offline cornflakes

• Veteran
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »
These quotes are from the thread "Alcohol Addiction. Help!"

Here is a classic example of what people are saying when some mods are bit over the top.
In the thread "Alcohol Addiction. Help!!", someone is trying to ask for help and this is what ForeverJ moderator had to say:

"Seek professional help. Case closed. Topic locked."

Wow.  Talk about playing God.  She just dismisses the OP's plea for help with a smart alec remark (hence, slipping in the "last say" as if her words
are of Jesus himself) and judges the case closed, and locks the thread! lol.

Thankfully another moderator (Davey) came along and unlocked the thread and said this:

"I have unlocked the topic so that others can direct the OP where to seek professional help in Korea. "

And subsequently after his posts, there are several helpful replies about where to get professional help and resources.   Good move on Davey, but
ForeverJ was definitely a classic example of moderators being "a bit over the top".

Just thought I'd give you this as an example.

Offline Castielle

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
  • PM for any query.
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »

Here is a classic example of what people are saying when some mods are bit over the top.
In the thread "Alcohol Addiction. Help!!", someone is trying to ask for help and this is what ForeverJ moderator had to say:

Wow.  Talk about playing God.  She just dismisses the OP's plea for help with a smart alec remark (hence, slipping in the "last say" as if her words

Thankfully another moderator (Davey) came along and unlocked the thread and said this:

"I have unlocked the topic so that others can direct the OP where to seek professional help in Korea. "

And subsequently after his posts, there are several helpful replies about where to get professional help and resources.   Good move on Davey, but
ForeverJ was definitely a classic example of moderators being "a bit over the top".

Hey cornflakes :)

Did you see that foreverJ edited her comment saying she locked it because of a previous comment that was removed on the thread? ROFLMAO if you think she was trying to play "god". Seriously. I can appreciate you trying to make a point but really. As foreverJ pointed out it was a post on a Friday night. Strange what people get up to on a Friday night at 11pm. The OP also asked in her original post and I quote : " should I seek professional help? "

Cheers
when in Rome.. Die eind resultaat moet die moeite werd wees!

Offline cornflakes

• Veteran
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »

Hey cornflakes :)

Did you see that foreverJ edited her comment saying she locked it because of a previous comment that was removed on the thread? ROFLMAO if you think she was trying to play "god". Seriously. I can appreciate you trying to make a point but really. As foreverJ pointed out it was a post on a Friday night. Strange what people get up to on a Friday night at 11pm. The OP also asked in her original post and I quote : " should I seek professional help? "

Cheers

I guess you didn't read what she wrote.
Casting off someone's thread who is asking for help with the "last words" like that is what other ppl are talking about as being "a bit over the top".   And you don't deem a case closed and lock a thread because one person put up a bad post.  You just delete the post, not the entire thread, duh.

That's why Davey did the right thing and re-opened it.  WTG Davey. 
Cheers.  :P