October 16, 2018, 02:36:44 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: CAN'T OPEN PPTX? READ HERE  (Read 18934 times)

Offline ESmith4

• Veteran
Re: CAN'T OPEN PPTX? READ HERE
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »
Just save one each in PPT & PPTX format.

I downloaded a ppt from this site and added to it (mainly some .wav files of sound effects). I saved one version in 2003 and another in 2007. I have access to both programs and took great pains to make sure the same ppt looked good (and the wavs worked) in each format. I tried using the 2007 version on two separate classroom computers with 2007 on them yesterday. It looked totally formatted (words and sentences going off the screen, pictures in the wrong places, etc) and the wavs didn't work. So I used the 2003 version which fixed the formatting problems but only one wav worked out of maybe 5 or 6. I used the 2003 version later on ANOTHER computer running 2003 and EVERYTHING WORKED! Formatting, wavs, the whole enchilada. I spent a lot of time doing two versions and adding wavs. Any idea what happened with the first two computers and what I can do to avoid that in the future? Thanks!
Get Dropbox and 2 GB of free space online today! http://db.tt/QkqDoXC

Offline keekwai

• Waygookin
  • Language Installer
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »
It would be better if people didn't post pptx (or any of the other brain-dead new Microsoft formats- docx, xlsx etc.).

Number 1 reason - I can't install any software on my PC at school.

Number 2 reason - I don't want to.  If you want me to read your stuff then publish it in an accessible format.

Get with the times old man! Or just install the MS Convertor on your own laptop and "save as" in 2003 format.

Errr ... you DO have your own personal laptop , don't you? A teacher without a laptop these days is like a plumber without a plunger!

Offline mc2

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »
I have a mac with keynote, and I have had some problems with the Bomb Game ppts. They open just fine, but they have no sounds. And of course, bomb games are not the same if you can't hear the explosions. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Offline lostprofit

• Waygookin
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 10:40:51 AM »
Hi mc2

I was a computer engineer before I tried this TEFL lark, and while I dont do macs I do know that for pptx files, its not enough to save just the powerpoint.
From what I udnerstand you MUST also copy the folder where the sounds and pictures where saved originally.
If they where on a harddrive, puast them into USB and copy them across. Then when you have saved them onto your mac open the ppt and either readd the sound files yourself or (if your luck) powerpoint will ask where the files are now and you can point the program towards them

Hope that helps :)

Offline AdriaanVenter

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
Thanks so much for this, was pulling my hair out!

Offline houleyman

• Newgookin
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
Why would anyone be using 2003, that's like having an 8 year old cellphone. Downloading a compatibility pack isn't such a problem is it? One would have thought that a teacher should be trying to get the message out there to their students in the best possible way, and not focusing on the usability and functionality of the Microsoft range of products and their own personal opinion.

Offline aalexandromoreno

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have .ppt or .pptx, so I guess that means I can't access anything on waygook, right? Well, the school is working on getting me a functional laptop.

The previous one did not work, at all. I also have a problem with the Korean Office suite that they have installed, nothing I can't work around by just guessing what buttons do by their appearance.

Offline rmaunruh

• Waygookin
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »
One option is trying out openoffice.org
It's a free office suite that mimics office, but not fully. So take it with a grain of salt.
Also everyone should try to make a few different copies if at all possible. It's understandable not to if there are errors when converting.
You can also try Google docs. Once again there might be compatibility issues but at least its web based and can be used from almost any computer.

Offline randarchy

• Adventurer
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »
Lotteworld... I don't entirely buy that your school won't let you install things as much as I believe that internet explorer 6 crashes each time you try.

Offline Warra

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »
I've been saving pptx files as 2003 files and that's been working all the time. Are there certain times when this won't work?

Offline bbostick5984

• Explorer
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
Hey thanks, this was greats. Was having problems opening power points on my work computer and this sorted it out nicely. Saw it last week and it saved me when my lessons already finished on my laptop weren't opening.  :D

Offline tausha12

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 07:41:03 AM »
I'm new to the site and this may sound really stupid but I can't find how to view powerpoints. I have Office 2007..

Offline Brian

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »
I'm new to the site and this may sound really stupid but I can't find how to view powerpoints. I have Office 2007..

*sigh* 

You need to make 5 posts to download.  It's written numerous times on this forum and is in red letters atop the site. 

In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Visit me: http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com

Offline Nan

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 05:16:47 AM »
It doesn't work with me either   ???

Offline RebeccaTeacher

• Newgookin
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »
Thanks for this!!

Offline mutehorn

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »
I don't know if this helps, but when I open up some of the PPT files on the computer at school, I click on VIEW at the top, and then click on "SLIDESHOW"). Then it runs the file like a PLAY button on a DVD player.

Hope this helps someone out there.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:37:10 PM by mutehorn »

Offline w_bellevue

• Waygookin
  • Kill 'em with kindness...^_~
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »
Number 2 reason - I don't want to.  If you want me to read your stuff then publish it in an accessible format.

...well damn... :shocked:
FEAR NOT: Everything can be fixed just by "understanding Korea's (SPARKLING) culture"...

Offline heatherrr88

• Newgookin
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
It shouldn't be this hard!

Offline unknown21

• Waygookin
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
you need to install video/audio codec pack