December 15, 2017, 09:51:21 PM

Author Topic: Seoul axes Big Apple promo posters blasted for 'sexualizing' women  (Read 929 times)

Offline tanis62458

• Veteran
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/12/281_240474.html

sorry, i just have to know if anyone else here thinks this ad is inappropriate.  not what you think others might think, or how it can be interpreted, or some other poo poo.  do you, yourself, find this ad inappropriate?

i think ad is fine . 

edit:  look at the image first then check out the article.  going for 1st impressions here
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:17:02 PM by tanis62458 »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: Seoul axes Big Apple promo posters blasted for 'sexualizing' women
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:57:32 PM »
An attractive woman in an ad for a product that isn't directly related to being an attractive woman. Isn't that enough these days?

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:54 PM »
No.

But I do find it kind of weird.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »
Her hand is oddly positioned, as if she's getting ready to undress or fondle herself. It does kind of perpetuate the submissive Asian woman stereotype--fly ME.

So I vote inappropriate. But funny in a junior high kind of way.

Offline tanis62458

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:03:05 PM »
Her hand is oddly positioned, as if she's getting ready to undress or fondle herself. It does kind of perpetuate the submissive Asian woman stereotype--fly ME.

that's exactly what the article said.  when you first looked at it, is that what you thought?  my first impression was that's a nice poster.  whoever designed it did a really good job. 

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
Nothing wrong with the poster..what is wrong is that some people are hyper sensitive. Almost any image triggers them and they start complaining.

Online Talawsohu

• Waygookin
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »
This is an advertisement, not a work of art.  And as an advertisement, it fails its job. Is it offensive? Not to me. Is it pretty? Sure. Does it have a (probably) unintentional suggestive aspect to it? Absolutely. They were going for "Korean culture is beautiful and exotic!" and made choices that should have been caught at the concept/proofing stage, not the national roll-out stage.

As an advertisement, it fails precisely because it can be misinterpreted. Intent means nothing when it comes to advertising. Ask the shake weight people about that one.

Offline tanis62458

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with the poster..what is wrong is that some people are hyper sensitive. Almost any image triggers them and they start complaining.

that's what i feel like too.  people are looking for reasons to complain.  that's why i was asking for others opinions.  i'll edit the op to look at the image first before reading the article

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 02:20:56 PM »

Pretty much. People will find offence in everything if they look hard enough.

Online Talawsohu

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 02:37:31 PM »
Also, gotta love Korea Times and their hyperbolic headlines.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:45:40 PM »
I feel like it's one of the few good Seoul/Korean culture adds I've seen. I-Seoul-You, and those Korean food posters that were on another thread are pretty bad.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »
An attractive person in national costume.... nothing sinister about that.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
I get what people on all sides are saying, but, truth be told, I'm with Talawsohu. People here are especially hyper-sensitive about sex and women's issues these days thanks to current events, and it's a marketing firm's job to be lucid about that sort of thing and to adjust accordingly.

While I think the ad itself is innocent, I did initially think that having her fondling her bow was odd. It's just kind of a weird placement that doesn't really make sense... so, of course, you're going to get people reading all kinds of things into it. That's a marketing failure. If they really wanted one of her hands to be doing something, they could have had her holding a flower or a calligraphy brush or whatever. 

Anyway, you live and you learn.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »
Nothing wrong with the thinking behind the ad but the model’s hand placement on the bow draws one’s eyes to the image of the model more than the different promotions of Seoul projected onto the Hanbok.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 08:53:14 PM »

that's exactly what the article said.  when you first looked at it, is that what you thought?  my first impression was that's a nice poster.  whoever designed it did a really good job.
I didn't read the article. I just answered the OP's query.

Online dalkyr

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »
My first impression wasn't that it's subjective. Didn't notice the "looks to be undressing" thing until I read the article.

Then again, I was too distracted by the fact that it's a terrible ad. I spent a decade in advertising before coming to Korea, and if I'd shown that ad to any of my creative directors they'd have rolled up the proofs and smacked me like a puppy that just peed on the floor.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »
My first impression wasn't that it's subjective. Didn't notice the "looks to be undressing" thing until I read the article.

Then again, I was too distracted by the fact that it's a terrible ad. I spent a decade in advertising before coming to Korea, and if I'd shown that ad to any of my creative directors they'd have rolled up the proofs and smacked me like a puppy that just peed on the floor.

Yeah. How about you show us an ad you think is good on here and let us, the public decide?

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 01:42:19 AM »
I noticed improper grammar at the bottom.

Hire an editor, please.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Talawsohu

• Waygookin
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 02:37:08 AM »
I noticed improper grammar at the bottom.

Hire an editor, please.

Tis a miracle any of us bin blessed by de English gramma.

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:01 PM »

that's what i feel like too.  people are looking for reasons to complain.  that's why i was asking for others opinions.  i'll edit the op to look at the image first before reading the article

If you have a problem with the ad, I think it says more about you than the ad.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"