December 16, 2017, 03:53:59 AM

Author Topic: PyeongChang Games room rip-off: Foreigners pay $115, Koreans $60  (Read 1664 times)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: PyeongChang Games room rip-off: Foreigners pay $115, Koreans $60
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »
Foreigner discounts are a thing.

Another example is the special interest rates that you can get as a foreigner. If you're a foreigner and you marry a Korean person, you get a special interest rate at the bank of 4.0 to 4.5%. I've done it at multiple banks and it's not open to a regular Korean person.

Really, I thought that was only open once you had a "multicultural" child?
Regardless, the reason that was started was becuase the mean income of multicultural familes is significantly lower than the average Korean family and the level of saving was also much lower. So the government forced banks to offer this program to encourage saving for these families.

Social programs are not really in the same realm as two tier pricing around a massive international sporting event.

No, this was used as an incentive for multicultural famiies to keep their money in the country and not send it abroad for the spouses family / invest in the spouse country.  You don't need a child to do this.  The amount of money sent abroad was enormous!!

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »
so people ask DeMartino to provide evidence of foreigner discounts and the only thing he can come up with are .... tourist discounts.

you realize discounts for tourists are a thing all over the world, right? and that these are done to encourage people to come to the country and spend money there, i.e., they actually benefit the country?

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »
Ugh, the english.visitkorea site is the worst tourism website on the planet. So many times I've followed their directions and arrived at the place to find that it shut down 3 years ago, or that they forgot to mention that the only way to get tickets is to go on a Korean-only website or use a Korean-only phone number.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:23:25 PM by MayorHaggar »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »
Ugh, the english.visitkorea site is the worst tourism website on the planet. So many times I've followed their directions and arrived at the place to find that it shut down 3 years ago, or that they forgot to mention that the only way to get tickets is to go on a Korean-only website or use a Korean-only phobe number.
Couldn't agree more.

I've complained to them for ages, and NOTHING ever changes there.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
so people ask DeMartino to provide evidence of foreigner discounts and the only thing he can come up with are .... tourist discounts.

you realize discounts for tourists are a thing all over the world, right? and that these are done to encourage people to come to the country and spend money there, i.e., they actually benefit the country?

Just clarifying, are you asking him to show proof that foreigner discounts exist? You don't believe they exist? Also, usually, like Macy's in America, even though it says "visitor discount", it is essentially a foreigner discount. Anyone with a foreign passport to show, can get 10% off, whether they are a resident or not. It is the same with a lot of those things from visit Korea, it has a stipulation that you must show your passport. Also, I think it is Gyeongbokgung palace, and many other cultural sites, if you show your ARC, which would indicate that you aren't just a visitor to Korea (at least short term), then you also get a special, discounted rate. I have personally done it quite a few times.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:10:43 PM by lifeisgood6447 »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 02:28:24 PM »
Unless you have proof that this hotel was making an actual promotion to Koreans rather than just overcharging foreigners, you guys are all talking crap.

Korean stores in Seoul are notorious for overcharging Chinese tourists. Tons of articles about it in Korean, Chinese and English, which has added scrutiny and made it a lot less prevalent than it used to be.

Making excuses, arguing about irrelevant "examples" that have nothing to do with the problem, and trying to change the subject will just let Koreans continue to think they can get away with it.

Online Talawsohu

• Waygookin
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »
This thread is bizarre. One hotel decides to price gouge unsuspecting tourists ahead of the Olympics (something that has happened at every Olympics since naked men were running around Ancient Greece). That's it. That's all.

But I can play your game.

Foreigner discounts are absolutely real. Lotte World, for example, often runs 1/2 price tickets for foreigners. They serve two purposes. The first is to drive visitors towards cultural and historical landmarks. Basically, like the amusingly-controversial Seoul/Hanbok posters, to advertise Korea. The second is to encourage tourists to spend, spend, spend their money. Chinese tourism is powerful. Give them 1/2 off a ticket so they spend more freely at the restaurants, t-shirts, and fluffly stuffed animals.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »
Not saying it was a promotion. I am not saying it wasn't price gauging. I am saying that a discount is different than price gauging. I am sure most of any of the foreigners here would turn down the discount if they were given it because their ARC allows them to get it  :lipsrsealed: :undecided: . As far as these hotels in particular are concerned, it probably is a means to exploitation, the same as you mentioned about the overcharging of Chinese tourists.

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and

Come on, we all know that Sexy Time Motel costs 50 bucks a night, not 100 and something. The price was spiked. However, I don't think, or feel, that either a foreigner or resident discount, given by a business, of a small amount,  "is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent."

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
Yeah, my point is basically this, which I admit I got sidetracked on and should have stated more strongly that it was price gouging

1) Yes, it is price-gouging. Some concerted campaign of xenphobia is a real stretch.
2) No one here moans when foreigners get a cheaper price because they're foreign. If it's part of a promotion (not price-gouging) where Koreans get a cheaper price, either be against both or be against neither. But you can't scream about racism and discrimination and then gleefully take advantage of 1/2 off Everland tickets.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2017, 04:20:50 PM »
I don't think it's discrimination or xenophobia. Well I hope it's not.

It's oppurtunistic price gouging that targets those who don't know the country well enough to know they are being had.

Of course it happens everywhere.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »
If this was just price gouging, they'd apply it to Koreans from Seoul or Busan just as much to foreigners.

Unless you have proof that this was some kind of promotion then again you guys are just blowing smoke by comparing this to other completely irrelevant promotions and discounts.