December 15, 2017, 09:43:35 PM

Author Topic: Can I leave on a job in a F6 visa whenever I want - non teaching job  (Read 258 times)

Online JohnD

• Waygookin
I'm going to work for a company (non teaching job), but in the contract, it says that I have to give a 60 day notice and I have to possibly wait until they find me a replacement. If I leave the company without this, the company can subtract pay from my paycheck.

Can I leave on a job in a F6 visa whenever I want without any issue? Can they deduct my paycheck on the days I worked?

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
Re: Can I leave on a job in a F6 visa whenever I want - non teaching job
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
You're asking on a teacher's website about a non-teaching job where the likelihood of anyone having an anecdotal experience is low. I recommend posting on a Korean facebook group where there will be plenty of people who know.

I will take a stab and tell you this, corporate jobs can put what they want in the contracts, but if they violate labor laws with said wording, said wording becomes irrelevant. If you really want to confirm the legitimacy of such a contract clause go to see a labor attorney. Probably only charge you a tiny fee to tell you the answer.
There's a good one in Gangnam, famous for helping foreigners.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:22:35 AM by travelinpantsgirl »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline cheolsu

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:28:47 PM »
I'm going to work for a company (non teaching job), but in the contract, it says that I have to give a 60 day notice and I have to possibly wait until they find me a replacement. If I leave the company without this, the company can subtract pay from my paycheck.

Can I leave on a job in a F6 visa whenever I want without any issue? Can they deduct my paycheck on the days I worked?

That clause is illegal. Anyone on any visa can leave any job whenever they want and they are entitled to be paid for the work they did.

You can, in theory, be sued in civil court for the damages caused by your absence, but this is highly impractical and at most would be used as a threat. Similarly, they can threaten to withhold your wages and may actually do so, but this is illegal and unlikely unless you work for a very small company or perhaps as a part-time employee at a convenience store or restaurant.

Online JohnD

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:05:18 PM »
But has there been cases where the company sued people because the quit without their mandatory quiting time?

In the contract, it does say that they can withhold/subtract my paycheck if I did leave without notice.

Offline cheolsu

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »
But has there been cases where the company sued people because the quit without their mandatory quiting time?

In the contract, it does say that they can withhold/subtract my paycheck if I did leave without notice.

I've never heard of such a case in almost a decade here. Companies can put whatever clauses they want into contracts, that doesn't make them legal.