December 18, 2017, 04:44:20 PM

Author Topic: 4.6m a month in korea possible?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline internationalteacher

• Veteran
Re: 4.6m a month in korea possible?
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »
All well and good except one thing. It's not possible to do two full time E2 jobs in Korea. There isn't the time to do two full time jobs. So the only people who can possible get more than 3.5m a month in Korea are the F visa holders who won't work for less than 50,000 per hour.

Anyway I certainly won't be returning there unless I could also earn 50,000 or more per hour. This means one of the handful of international schools. Even then I wouldnt want to really go back there as i don't like the cuisine there and I don't like the place much either.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 07:44:27 PM »
I posted a couple of jobs in this thread paying more than 6 million a month in total and doable time wise and both could be on an E2 visa. I guess they were taken down due to advertising or something. I'd guesstimate most people I do IELTS with make 4.6 mil or over - 3. something at their unis and 1.5 from examining. They could all do that on an E visa, as I used to. I don't think you've got the quals to do IELTS here, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:46:18 PM by eggieguffer »

Online meldrew

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
All well and good except one thing. It's not possible to do two full time E2 jobs in Korea. There isn't the time to do two full time jobs. So the only people who can possible get more than 3.5m a month in Korea are the F visa holders who won't work for less than 50,000 per hour.

Anyway I certainly won't be returning there unless I could also earn 50,000 or more per hour. This means one of the handful of international schools. Even then I wouldnt want to really go back there as i don't like the cuisine there and I don't like the place much either.

The concept of full time differs from job to job. I work 10 teaching hours a week (40 minutes per hour). The week consists of 3 mornings. I don't work past lunch time. I am on a full time contract at a university. Most people would say 'that's not full time!' Well, it sponsors my visa and pays me a good salary 12 months a year. This is in China but the argument is still valid. Conditions, hours and pays fluctuate massively from school to school.

Just scroll through university ads in Korea. A university position in the last 4 week offering 32m a year for 9 teaching hours and 6 office hours.

Take your schedule, take whatever it is needed to prove you can legally work a 2nd job and go around the local academies and see what they can offer you. 15 hours a week at your university job gives you plenty of time to do another FT gig. They'll be more than happy to negotiate (to an extent) because you won't be costing them housing or flights and because you approached them they won't be paying a recruiter either.

I think most people, thinking about the subject for just a few minutes, would come to the same conclusion.

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »
That's ifa university pays 3m+ per month. A lot of uni posts in Korea only pay 2 point something however. I taught IELTS in Korea so I am familiar with the exam. It's still difficult to make 4,6m as you need to have two consistent jobs. IELTS may pay 1.5 m one month and then 500k the next. Who knows. Unless the jobs are consistent throughout the year, you cant do it. And as far as I know, employers dont like E2 visa holders getting other jobs.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »
That's ifa university pays 3m+ per month. A lot of uni posts in Korea only pay 2 point something however. I taught IELTS in Korea so I am familiar with the exam. It's still difficult to make 4,6m as you need to have two consistent jobs. IELTS may pay 1.5 m one month and then 500k the next. Who knows. Unless the jobs are consistent throughout the year, you cant do it. And as far as I know, employers dont like E2 visa holders getting other jobs.

Talking about examining, not teaching. It's true that some universities pay crap. Quite a lot pay over 3m though.

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »
I don't think you've got the quals to do IELTS here, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What are the quals required for teaching and/or testing IELTS in Korea?

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
I don't think you've got the quals to do IELTS here, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What are the quals required for teaching and/or testing IELTS in Korea?

For teaching it'll be whatever the hagwan requires. For testing in theory I think it's just CELTA plus experience though in Korea you'd need more. Probably an MA Tesol to stand a chance

Offline dandred

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »
My uni job and home school, with 30 kids, is giving me about 9.8 currently.
15 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave. Thank you.

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
My uni job and home school, with 30 kids, is giving me about 9.8 currently.
cool. before or after tax?

Offline dandred

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2017, 12:49:22 AM »
I'm registered with my local education office, however, I only pay tax on my uni salary, 3.6 term time 3.2 when on 5 months vacation. I do teach post grads though.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
I'm registered with my local education office, however, I only pay tax on my uni salary, 3.6 term time 3.2 when on 5 months vacation. I do teach post grads though.

Thatís chump change considering your experience and qualifications. Whatís the maximum you can get in Korea doing a regular job like lecturing? Thereís no way Iíd fork out for a Delta and/or MA TESOL for a salary of 3.6/3.2

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »

Thatís chump change considering your experience and qualifications. Whatís the maximum you can get in Korea doing a regular job like lecturing? Thereís no way Iíd fork out for a Delta and/or MA TESOL for a salary of 3.6/3.2

You could make more but you'd have to work harder and then you wouldn't have the time to set up a study room.

Offline dandred

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »

I'm pretty happy with 9.8 a month, 12 hours uni contact time and 15 hours for my home school per week. Saturdays and Sundays are still free and five months a year I'm not teaching at uni.

Offline jimskins

• Adventurer
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2017, 12:07:10 PM »

I'm pretty happy with 9.8 a month, 12 hours uni contact time and 15 hours for my home school per week. Saturdays and Sundays are still free and five months a year I'm not teaching at uni.

I'm interested how this is possible?  What exactly do you mean by 'home school' ?  I teach at a uni and was informed by the education office that it is illegal to have a gong-bu-bang as well, even if you have your university's permission.  I take it if you're not paying tax on your 'home school' salary then it's illegal?

Offline dandred

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »

I'm interested how this is possible?  What exactly do you mean by 'home school' ?  I teach at a uni and was informed by the education office that it is illegal to have a gong-bu-bang as well, even if you have your university's permission.  I take it if you're not paying tax on your 'home school' salary then it's illegal?

I have a certificate from the local education office that allows me to teach at home. I got that quite a while before I started my uni job. Half of the teachers I work with, even my bosses, have their own home schools. There are no Korean bosses in the department!

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »

My comment was not in relation to your overall income; it was in relation to your university job. Take out the home school job, and you're on very little given your qualifications.

I'm not suggesting you're bragging as it were, but I have seen many times on forums such as these that people say they're on X million a month, but the vast majority of that is through some kind of home schooling/ study room thing going on which can only be done on an F visa.

Offline dandred

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2017, 01:51:14 PM »
I have an F visa.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »
I have an F visa.

Right. So your "15 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave. Thank you." earns you a paltry 3. something. If one sticks with EPIK for three years and works in the countryside at multiple schools, one would be on roughly the same.

Offline dandred

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
Your missing the 6.2 from the home school! But you are right, wages here for E1s are terrible. Having the home school certainly makes life much sweeter here.

But don't forget working for EPIK will demand five days a week and 8.40 to 4.40, and around 15 days vacation. I only teach 12 hours a week, only work four days, and anything over nine hours is counted as overtime, add in five months of paid vacation and it's quite a good deal really. I can't think of any other jobs with perks like that.

The CELTA and DELTA certificates have probably the best things I've ever done in relation to the quality of teaching I'm able to give my students. The MA was more theory but as my dissertation was on task based learning and which tasks produce most output in terms of fluency, accuracy and complexity, it has been invaluable in my classrooms.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:10:42 PM by dandred »

Offline jimskins

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »

I have a certificate from the local education office that allows me to teach at home. I got that quite a while before I started my uni job. Half of the teachers I work with, even my bosses, have their own home schools. There are no Korean bosses in the department!

Are the education office aware that you subsequently got a job as a uni teacher?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think what you're doing is by the book ( I would like it to be, as I'd also consider running a study room); if the office got wind of your uni job, they'd shut you down.  That is how it was presented to us when we enquired about it.  Do you have the korean name of the certificate you have for teaching at home?