December 18, 2017, 04:45:35 PM

Author Topic: Trump to address the eating of pets...  (Read 1565 times)

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
Re: Trump to address the eating of pets...
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
Dog is actually an excellent, tender meat. It would probably work well in a wide range of dishes, especially stews.
Likewise with humans, or so I've heard. Don't even need to go to the grocery store to pick a few of those up, either!

Eating human meat is inherently unsafe. Dog, on the other hand, is merely offensive to hypocritical squeamish westerners who eat other cute and endearing animals with no remorse.
You have a pet pig? Cool!

I have neither a pet pig nor a pet dog. The fact that other people keep dogs as pets has no bearing on whether or not I'd eat dog. It's irrelevant.

Dog tastes good. I'm not an animal lover. Why not eat it if it's on the menu?
Because it's been tortured?!?

It's already been tortured whether or not I eat it.

Online elsbethm

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Dog is actually an excellent, tender meat. It would probably work well in a wide range of dishes, especially stews.
Likewise with humans, or so I've heard. Don't even need to go to the grocery store to pick a few of those up, either!

Eating human meat is inherently unsafe. Dog, on the other hand, is merely offensive to hypocritical squeamish westerners who eat other cute and endearing animals with no remorse.
You have a pet pig? Cool!

I have neither a pet pig nor a pet dog. The fact that other people keep dogs as pets has no bearing on whether or not I'd eat dog. It's irrelevant.

Dog tastes good. I'm not an animal lover. Why not eat it if it's on the menu?
Because it's been tortured?!?

Torture just makes the meat all the more tender.  Yummm :laugh:

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »
Torture just makes the meat all the more tender.  Yummm :laugh:
More tender, but also more acidic and gamey. Always need more gochujang when you meal has been properly tortured.

Offline leaponover

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »
Unfortunately expats are usually made up of liberals on their crusades to "push"/enlighten their beliefs on others while espousing that they have a choice as long as it's the choice they want.   These boards and each cities Facebook group reek of this.  This thread will turn out to be no different.

Korean's thoughts about Trump are driven by the lying liberal press reporting irresponsibly.  Like when students said, "Trump is president so Korea isn't friends anymore" all because idiotic press was printing stories saying that Trump stated Korea should pay us to be here.  IT was all much ado about nothing but the press rolled with it anyway.  The press sickens me.  Folks should be fired who rigged up that fake fish feeding story, however since it fits the agenda they'll keep pushing it as news.
I believe it's the carping conies who want to revive the Crusades and rid the west of all muslims.

How anyone supporting someone as ill-informed and incompetent as trumped up can manage to call others idiotic with a straight face is one of those things we'll have to leave to ripley's believe it or not.

Tortured any dogs lately?

Had to read what I wrote 5x and still couldn't find the word idiotic.  The check's in the mail for your first prize in reading comprehension though.  I'm curious to see what other nonsensical sentences you can end your next comment with.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »

Yeah ok but if folks buy it and eat it, that tells the market to keep torturing dogs.

I'm no vegan crusader, but surely overt animal torture isn't something you support?

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 10:37:35 AM »

Yeah ok but if folks buy it and eat it, that tells the market to keep torturing dogs.

I'm no vegan crusader, but surely overt animal torture isn't something you support?

I'm sure the few bowls I've eaten during my time in Korea have not made a significant contribution to the world of doggie torture.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »

I'm sure the few bowls I've eaten during my time in Korea have not made a significant contribution to the world of doggie torture.

You're probably right.

And it's a good thing that everyone is so clear-headed about the consequences of their actions   :smiley:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
Unless you're talking going to some small farm with free-range animals, pretty much all meat that you eat has been "tortured", and even then those animals have to be put down somehow. How different is that than boiling seafood alive? Ortolan and Foie Gras?

Go Vegan or Go Farm or Go Away.

That being said, the beating of live dogs before consumption is...unsettling.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »
Unfortunately expats are usually made up of liberals on their crusades to "push"/enlighten their beliefs on others while espousing that they have a choice as long as it's the choice they want.   These boards and each cities Facebook group reek of this.

No.

Most of us are opportunistic capitalists.

We just donít usually post on the internet.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
I have great respect and appreciation for animals and nature but I think we can toss "morality" out the window is it's completely subjective.

The real questions are whether the meat is safe to eat and how the animal was slaughtered and how it was kept.

Certain animals, like dog, pig or cat are generally unsafe to eat because of what those animals eat/could've eaten.
A cow in only going to eat grass making it far less likely to retain any kind of parasite in its flesh. The most famous case obviously being the Mad Cow Disease saga, which was traced to farmers feeding their cows meat and bone from the carcasses
of other dead animals.
Pigs in particular have one of the worst digestive systems and are infamous for eating anything, even the fetuses of their offspring. That gets absorbed into the meat which you eat... no thanks!

Next, how the animal was slaughtered. Here, we can bring in a moral and health argument.
It's common knowledge that the animal's mood during it's slaughter affects the taste of the meat. If the animal is distressed, i.e. an ajushi is beating it to death with a stick, the animal will secrete massive amounts of adrenaline into it's flesh. The culinary world is almost unanimous in the belief that adrenaline taints the meat and makes it taste worse and potentially harmful. My guess is that same oriental, in the days of yore, discovered that beating the dog changed the taste and declared said taste to be better as it justified the fun and novelty of the beating.

Next, we get to how the livestock was housed or kept.

A few years ago, my brother was coordinating a coast guard inspection operation. During this time he boarded quite a few Chinese vessels off our waters. He told me that on these Chinese vessels they'd often find dogs, kept in tiny cages, for food.
On one vessel, they found about 15dogs, literally squashed into a 1X1m cage. They dogs were completely deformed as they hadn't moved in months and 4 of them were dead. The Chinese sailors were completely oblivious to the animal's suffering and this makes sense. The Chinese character for animal DÚngwý (literally means moving thing, if I'm not mistaken).
China, and by relation Korea, has pretty much no history of animal empathy as animals were literally considered objects, like a stick or rock.

Anyways...

As an animal lover, I still eat and enjoy meat under the condition that it's safe to eat (no scavengers, omnivores or carnivores), was prepared ethically (only Halal and Kosher meat for me) and was housed adequately.

Online chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »
Unfortunately expats are usually made up of liberals on their crusades to "push"/enlighten their beliefs on others while espousing that they have a choice as long as it's the choice they want.   These boards and each cities Facebook group reek of this.  This thread will turn out to be no different.

Korean's thoughts about Trump are driven by the lying liberal press reporting irresponsibly.  Like when students said, "Trump is president so Korea isn't friends anymore" all because idiotic press was printing stories saying that Trump stated Korea should pay us to be here.  IT was all much ado about nothing but the press rolled with it anyway.  The press sickens me.  Folks should be fired who rigged up that fake fish feeding story, however since it fits the agenda they'll keep pushing it as news.
I believe it's the carping conies who want to revive the Crusades and rid the west of all muslims.

How anyone supporting someone as ill-informed and incompetent as trumped up can manage to call others idiotic with a straight face is one of those things we'll have to leave to ripley's believe it or not.

Had to read what I wrote 5x and still couldn't find the word idiotic.  The check's in the mail for your first prize in reading comprehension though.  I'm curious to see what other nonsensical sentences you can end your next comment with.

Dude did the same shit with me in the korean man-children thread. Said something and I responded to him then he gets pissy when proven wrong and resorts to ad hominem and insults. Pretty sure he is some older expat who believes that everything he says is correct and you are wrong for disagreeing with him. I really pity the guy.

Online 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 08:54:16 AM »
Unfortunately expats are usually made up of liberals on their crusades to "push"/enlighten their beliefs on others

Huh.  I thought we were here for the tang.

Possible thread suggestion -- title:

Why did you come to Korea?

Poll:
[ ] - To "push"/enlighten their beliefs on others
[ ] - tang

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »
Unfortunately expats are usually made up of liberals on their crusades to "push"/enlighten their beliefs on others

Huh.  I thought we were here for the tang.

Possible thread suggestion -- title:

Why did you come to Korea?

Poll:
[ ] - To "push"/enlighten their beliefs on others
[ ] - boshitang
ftfy!  :smiley:

Offline fishead

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »
 Obama ate dog in Indonesia.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »

Dude did the same shit with me in the korean man-children thread. Said something and I responded to him then he gets pissy when proven wrong and resorts to ad hominem and insults. Pretty sure he is some older expat who believes that everything he says is correct and you are wrong for disagreeing with him. I really pity the guy.
Now I get it chrissy--you're both (you and the alt-righter you're coming to defend) incredibly literal minded (dense) and can't make the leap to how people believing in "an idiotic press" are being called idiots.

Feel free to cry some more tears. And keep on taking shots at me instead of actually posting anything of substance. I dig the attention.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »

As an animal lover, I still eat and enjoy meat under the condition that it's safe to eat (no scavengers, omnivores or carnivores), was prepared ethically (only Halal and Kosher meat for me) and was housed adequately.

Unstunned animals that are fully alert when slaughtered causing more distress and pain than animals that are stunned.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »

Unstunned animals that are fully alert when slaughtered causing more distress and pain than animals that are stunned.

Halal is based on best practices during Mohamedís time.

We have learned much, and modern codes of practice for animal slaughter take this seriously.

Source: wife was involved in writing these codes in Canada.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 11:15:54 AM »

As far as taste goes, I'm all for humane stuff.

As far as Halal vs. Whatever method, I could care less because I eat whatever. The next time I check how the meat I was served was butchered will be my first.

Scratch that, there was the turkey kill I went to in 1991 the weekend before Thanksgiving at one of my dad's coworkers farms. Hung em up by their legs and then you went through their neck with a serrated blade. After that it was time to pluck them and reach in and pull out the steaming guts. There were maybe 80 people there for all of this. Fun times.