April 19, 2018, 09:47:02 PM

Author Topic: Dear waygook.org moderators and admins - please clarify definition of 'spamming'  (Read 1395 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
In the Terms of Service of expat and teacher website waygook.org, under Unacceptable Behavior as '- Spamming (unsolicited links or mentions of products or other persons).'

Conventionally, 'to spam' is also understood to mean

spam/
verb
gerund or present participle: spamming

send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.

I want to clarify whether this definition of spamming is also prohibited under the Terms of use of expat and teacher website waygook.org, because after combing through the Terms of Use, I couldn't find anything prohibiting indiscriminate posting of the same or similar messages.

Please clarify whether conventional spamming is against the Terms of Service, or only spamming which includes 'unsolicited links or mentions of products or other persons.'

Thank you, waygook.org moderators and admin.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook
I think this is what you are looking for....
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
Apparently spamming means writing a script to automatically alter without any notice being attached to the message, the URL of any of certain teacher sharing websites the moderators find threatening.

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Dear waygook.org moderators and admin, please clarify when you have time. Thank you!

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Under the Unacceptable Behaviors section definition of 'spamming,' would posting the same or very similar message multiple times in a short time span be against the Terms of Use of teacher and expat website waygook.org?

If a waygook.org user posted, for example, "I like iguanas" on several different topics over the course of a brief (one or two days) period of time, would that be considered a form of spamming that is against the Terms of Use of website waygook.org, or would it be allowed as it doesn't contain the forbidden "unsolicited links or mentions of products or other persons"?

Thank you, waygook.org moderators and admin!

Offline OnNut81

• Super Waygook
Hopefully, what you're getting at is the recent spate of repetitive "Hi, welcome!" posts in the introduction forum that push more interesting topics off the page so that someone can get to their five post count.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
Hopefully, what you're getting at is the recent spate of repetitive "Hi, welcome!" posts in the introduction forum that push more interesting topics off the page so that someone can get to their five post count.

That or people that find it necessary to post about tax and immigration laws everytime there is a mention of extra income?  :laugh: :laugh:  :police:

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
I know waygook.org moderators and admin are busy, but if anyone could take a look at this when her or she has a chance, that would be fantastic, thanks.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
I know waygook.org moderators and admin are busy, but if anyone could take a look at this when her or she has a chance, that would be fantastic, thanks.

Take a look at the other thread you created. I forgot which mod it was, but one replied.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook

Take a look at the other thread you created. I forgot which mod it was, but one replied.

He's made about 5. He's spamming to the max but no one cares enough to reply/lock/merge his spam.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline nzer-in-gyeongnam

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "abnosome" ~ "abnormal in an awesome way."
A quick visit to the TOS (http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,108031.0.html) gives the following:

Unacceptable Behaviour
- Harassment, personal attacks and name calling
- Questioning a moderator's actions, publicly or privately
- Thread crapping (opinions directly opposed to the discussion's topic)
- Trolling (posting with the deliberate intent to antagonize others)
- Spamming (unsolicited links or mentions of products or other persons)
- Circumventing the moderation team, or playing staff members against each other
- Retaliation and baiting is prohibited. (Please report the offending content instead; staff will deal with it promptly.)

Further reading may well address the reasons as to why several users have recently found themselves muted or banned from the site for advertising other sites as well.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
A quick visit to the TOS (http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,108031.0.html) gives the following:

Unacceptable Behaviour
- Harassment, personal attacks and name calling
- Questioning a moderator's actions, publicly or privately
- Thread crapping (opinions directly opposed to the discussion's topic)
- Trolling (posting with the deliberate intent to antagonize others)
- Spamming (unsolicited links or mentions of products or other persons)
- Circumventing the moderation team, or playing staff members against each other
- Retaliation and baiting is prohibited. (Please report the offending content instead; staff will deal with it promptly.)

Further reading may well address the reasons as to why several users have recently found themselves muted or banned from the site for advertising other sites as well.

Thank you waygook.org moderator nzer-in-gyeongnam, but I already included that definition of 'spamming' taken directly from the TOS in my original question post, and I was specifically looking for clarification on that specific definition of the word, which you highlighted in bold text for us, specifically whether it's only the spamming of "unsolicited links or mentions of products or other persons" which is prohibited, or if the conventional definition of spamming is also included, which is usually understood to mean:

spam/
verb
gerund or present participle: spamming

send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.

I hope this clarifies my question. Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:13:22 AM by #basedcowboyshirt »

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran

He's made about 5. He's spamming to the max but no one cares enough to reply/lock/merge his spam.

Jesus, tell me about it.  I don't know where this sense of entitlement comes from but I think he needs to stop acting like he owns the place.

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
Is it perhaps that you have been accused of spamming or that you wish to report someone for doing so?

I believe the highlighted information ought to be enough for you to draw your own conclusions, as an adult, but also know that moderators will moderate differently and according to their own understanding of such actions.

If you have been sited for spamming, then simply cease and desist what it is you have been doing. If you are wishing to report someone for what YOU perceive as spamming then do so, moderators will look into it and decide if it is indeed what they believe to be spamming.

In other words, the interpretation of the word is subjectional and each moderator will apply their own understanding of the word, with a rather broad understanding.

If you have been moderated for something you do not consider spamming, or you disagree with a moderators actions, message either that moderator or another one to discuss your issue personally and it will be brought to a discussion in the moderators thread and a conclusion shall be agreed upon. IF that decision is not reflective of the one that was originally concluded then a change shall be made.

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
The answers have been given to the original question and subsequent questioning, ergo the topic thread has now been locked.

Magic Ears ESL
Work from home and teach English to Chinese Children online with Magic Ears!! Teach 25 minute group lessons in the morning or the evening! The base pay is $18-26 an hour! To be qualified for this position you will need to be a native speaker from the US or Canada. You can apply using the bottom link for priority viewing on your application. For more information, please join our Q and A group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MagicEarsQA/
https://t.mmears.com?referralCode=T142094