October 18, 2018, 12:51:21 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Can't even access my own lesson plans now? Lol.  (Read 1716 times)

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
Can't even access my own lesson plans now? Lol.
« on: September 18, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
So I'm kinda late to the party here, but apparently I can't even download my own materials and the many lesson plans I've uploaded over the years now?

Hashtag whaddajoke.
Thread prob closing in 3.2.1
Prob banned in 3.2.1
Don't care
lol

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
Re: Can't even access my own lesson plans now? Lol.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 03:05:51 PM »
No one is going to do any of those things...but how about contributing to a site that has basically been a freebie benefit for years? Then you could access your materials and do whatever you like.

So I'm kinda late to the party here, but apparently I can't even download my own materials and the many lesson plans I've uploaded over the years now?

Hashtag whaddajoke.
Prob banned in 3.2.1
Don't care
lol
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »

Hashtag whaddajoke.
Prob banned in 3.2.1
Don't care
lol

Sorry, to be honest, were you depending Waygook to be a cloud storage site? Do you not your have the stuff on your pen drive or a service dedicated for cloud storage such as Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, etc.?
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 03:14:52 PM »
I do have all my materials backed up. It's sad though that now users can only access my materials by paying for them when they were intended to be shared for free. I can understand if the site is costing to upkeep, but surely if you urgently requested users to donate or face site closure they would come together to help out? Have donation strategies not worked in the past?

Offline OnIowa91

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »
No one is going to do any of those things...but how about contributing to a site that has basically been a freebie benefit for years? Then you could access your materials and do whatever you like.

Hashtag whaddajoke.
Prob banned in 3.2.1
Don't care
lol

Wow, the irony in telling someone to contribute when the topic is accessing what they've already contributed.  It's incredible.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »
I think many users weren't paying attention. Arsalan did ask for money, for donations in the right hand corner near login. It was there for years but people were satisfied to just use the site for free. Depending on how long you've been using the site, you can see the changes that were made to achieve revenue without aggressively begging users, such as the addition of ad banners, charging recruiters for posting job ads, and adding the donation request at the corner. But very few became regular donors. So a decision was made, charge users or shut down the site because it's expensive as all get out.

I do have all my materials backed up. It's sad though that now users can only access my materials by paying for them when they were intended to be shared for free. I can understand if the site is costing to upkeep, but surely if you urgently requested users to donate or face site closure they would come together to help out? Have donation strategies not worked in the past?
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline traversing

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 03:25:53 PM »
I think many users weren't paying attention. Arsalan did ask for money, for donations in the right hand corner near login. It was there for years but people were satisfied to just use the site for free. Depending on how long you've been using the site, you can see the changes that were made to achieve revenue without aggressively begging users, such as the addition of ad banners, charging recruiters for posting job ads, and adding the donation request at the corner. But very few became regular donors. So a decision was made, charge users or shut down the site because it's expensive as all get out.

Or maybe, just maybe, that wasn't visible enough and once that wasn't working he should have tried something more eye catching? If something doesn't work, try something else don't wait until the last minute then concoct a secret plan to put up a paywall over a random weekend.

Also did that statement from him ever happen? The one that was supposed to happen within a couple days?

Offline shanicem

• Waygookin
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »
I'm sorry but as someone who has worked for a non profit for years in the past, fundraising in an active activity. I never noticed the button. If I had, I would have donated. I understand entirely that this website needs money to run. I have donated to different websites in the past. I would have made a big banner on the homepage if I were him. Also I would post in the forums of the issues on a repeated basis. If none of those things worked, I would limit access as well but not behind a paywal.  I think people are mad/disappointed because they came in with the intention to help for free but now their content has to be paid for.

There was for the a LONG period of time. The fact is, some people are contributed, but most haven;t. Having studied financial psychological, I totally understand to be honest.

I've never disputed the notice/warning could've been done delivered better, but, ultimately, those who didn't pay wouldn't have likely paid regardless.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:49:34 PM by Davey »

Offline traversing

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
I'm sorry but as someone who has worked for a non profit for years in the past, fundraising in an active activity. I never noticed the button. If I had, I would have donated. I understand entirely that this website needs money to run. I have donated to different websites in the past. I would have made a big banner on the homepage if I were him. Also I would post in the forums of the issues on a repeated basis. If none of those things worked, I would limit access as well but not behind a paywal.  I think people are mad/disappointed because they came in with the intention to help for free but now their content has to be paid for.

This and just posting a thread in one forum isn't enough. Sticky that in all forums.

Offline shanicem

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »

This and just posting a thread in one forum isn't enough. Sticky that in all forums.

I agree. Those are just some moderate suggestions. I'm sure if they would have consulted someone they would have come up with a better solution.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 03:33:16 PM »
A mass email would have been nice as well.  I haven't manually logged in for the longest time so I wouldn't have noticed a wee button by the log in area.  Also have the habit of automatically scrolling down to hide the giant yellow "WAYGOOK" title, hahah. 

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »

They have not (to no surprise), and this was discussed previously in the thread ranting about the subscription fee.

There was a button for a LONG time, and there WAS a temporary spike in donations. Consistently? No. Having studied financial psychology, I totally get it.

I never disputed that the warning/notice could have been delivered better, but based on history, it would have been the same result.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:55:17 PM by Davey »
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

I agree--Arsalan should have made it a sticky,