April 23, 2018, 07:40:05 PM

Author Topic: Stop Spamming Online Teaching Links  (Read 1295 times)

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
Stop Spamming Online Teaching Links
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »
Recently some people have been spamming their referral links to online tutoring agencies here.

As i've pointed out previously, this is an outright violation of the public school contracts which specifically prohibit online teaching/tutoring, as well as a violation of your E-2 visa.

In addition to that, there are tax implications which could see people being investigated for tax evasion either by the Korean National Tax Service (NTS) and/or their respective tax agency back home.

I really don't think that waygook.org should be the place to encourage people to violate their contracts, visas, and engage in white collar crime.

Not only that but posting personal referral links on here just to get extra cash from these tutoring contracts seems a bit slimy to me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:08:15 AM by taeyang »

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
Re: Stop Spamming Online Teaching Links
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »

I really don't think that waygook.org should be the place to encourage people to violate their contracts, visas, and engage in white collar crime.

Aaaand you lost me. All with you on the outrage. All with you on the fact that the person should specify they have money to gain through the referrals. I think those sites are a race to the bottom as far as wages are concerned. We need less gig economy not less.

But don't call it crime. He's not linking to the Silk Road to sort out coke and Ex or finding someone to break the legs of your hagwon owner.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »
thanks for bringing this up. you can always use the report button on a post to alert it to a moderator.

and updated terms of service will be posted in the next week or so - it will be addressing referral links there as well.

also i have edited your post to remove the two profiles you mentioned. i have removed the referral links from those two posters.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:09:38 AM by taeyang »
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »

Aaaand you lost me. All with you on the outrage. All with you on the fact that the person should specify they have money to gain through the referrals. I think those sites are a race to the bottom as far as wages are concerned. We need less gig economy not less.

But don't call it crime. He's not linking to the Silk Road to sort out coke and Ex or finding someone to break the legs of your hagwon owner.

Tax evasion is not a crime? Breaking visa duties is not a crime?

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:57:37 PM »

Tax evasion is not a crime? Breaking visa duties is not a crime?

I don't think anyone is saying tax evasion and visa violations aren't crimes.  But simply posting job opportunities isn't a crime, though it may be a TOS violation.  Many people who come to this site are not E-2 visa holders, and they may well be able to afford themselves the opportunities mentioned. 

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 12:29:03 AM »
As mentioned above, not everyone is on an E-2 visa.

Furthermore, not everyone who is on an E-2 visa works for the PS system.   Hagwon teachers are allowed outside gigs if approved by immigration.

(unless the laws have changed, correct me if I'm wrong)

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:13:42 AM »
Stop assuming everyone is on an E-2 visa.

Stop assuming everyone is held to a public school contract.

Stop assuming Korea taxes foreign earned income. Only the US and Eritrea practice that.

The only thing that should stay is the removal of referral links.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
Stop assuming everyone is on an E-2 visa.

Stop assuming everyone is held to a public school contract.

Stop assuming Korea taxes foreign earned income. Only the US and Eritrea practice that.

The only thing that should stay is the removal of referral links.

+1 ... give it a rest

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018