December 17, 2018, 08:27:29 AM

Author Topic: Is veganism manageable?  (Read 8262 times)

Offline alpinelad

• Waygookin
Re: Is veganism manageable?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2017, 10:12:37 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't speak a drop of Korea, but when eating out, what is the most effective way to ask and find out if your food has animal products and/or explain that you don't want anything with animal products. There are (as I understand it) Buddhists in Korea and surely they do not eat meat and maybe avoid animal products of all kinds. Maybe one can simply ask for a "Buddhist-friendly" meal?

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 11:25:42 PM »
There are (as I understand it) Buddhists in Korea and surely they do not eat meat and maybe avoid animal products of all kinds. Maybe one can simply ask for a "Buddhist-friendly" meal?
Buddhists aren't vegetarian, let alone vegan, so such a question would be looked at confusingly. The person cooking the beef could very well be a Buddhist.

Offline alpinelad

• Waygookin
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2017, 11:50:08 PM »
There are (as I understand it) Buddhists in Korea and surely they do not eat meat and maybe avoid animal products of all kinds. Maybe one can simply ask for a "Buddhist-friendly" meal?
Buddhists aren't vegetarian, let alone vegan, so such a question would be looked at confusingly. The person cooking the beef could very well be a Buddhist.

My bad... I was going off of what I found in this Wikipedia article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cuisine

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 12:53:34 AM »

Why is it that whenever anyone has a go at anything on this site someone will always say something like 'let people do what they want to do' even though nobody ever argues for banning anything? it was the same with nose rings, beards, veganism etc.. etc...

LOL, fair point.

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 02:40:25 AM »

My bad... I was going off of what I found in this Wikipedia article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cuisine
There are certain animals that are disallowed. Other than those, the only requirement is that the animal was not slaughtered exclusively for the person in question.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2017, 05:49:21 AM »
Still curious how paigekenzie can believe it is easier to be vegetarian in Korea compared to the US...

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2017, 07:32:09 AM »

Why is it that whenever anyone has a go at anything on this site someone will always say something like 'let people do what they want to do' even though nobody ever argues for banning anything? it was the same with nose rings, beards, veganism etc.. etc...

LOL, fair point.

People don't like being judged. But it's human nature to judge everything we see all the time.

People are often confused about what the word 'tolerate' means. hahahha
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Iced_Chai

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
Globally, some Buddhist are vegetarian or vegan as part of their faith. In Korea this isn't the case.

Only  monks and nuns in temples eat vegan (and they don't drink any alcohol). They make all of their own food and live somewhat removed from normal life... so while this won't make getting vegan food easier, most people in Korea have a concept of what this kind of diet is. I have had a lot of luck explaining my diet in this  context for people who don't understand (as in, explaining to Korean friends who are helping me navigate my food situation.)

I wouldn't ask for "Buddhist friendly food" at a restaurant, though, no one is going to know what you are talking about.

On the plus side, if you do a temple stay while you are here, you should be able to eat all of the food : )

Offline SweetFlaxAndBarley

• Adventurer
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »
For anyone interested:

Michael Greger M.D.
http://nutritionfacts.org/

Daily Dozen of what to eat every day:

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nutritionfacts.dailydozen&hl=en

iPhone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr-gregers-daily-dozen/id1060700802?mt=8

John A. McDougall M.D.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/

I get my health advice from these two guys. McDougall stresses a starch based diet and Greger has a list of foods to eat every day that you can track with his app. B-12, resistant starches, omega 3 to omega 6 ratio, and certain mineral deficiencies like Zinc and Iron should be your focus since these have a great effect on the vegan/vegetarian diet. I don't worry too much on Dr. Esselstyn's no oil ranting, but just in case, I use only as much as needed to flavor something for a special treat.

Addition to the Vegan Tips:
1. Order non-available spices from https://www.iherb.com/
2. Buy 4KG Lentils, Beans, and Chickpeas from Lotte Mart, Home Plus, or Emart
3. Assume everything has an animal product unless you go to a specialized vegan buffet that advertises its vegan on their menu or restaurant.
4. Assume non-English speaking Koreans don't understand veganism as fish, ham, tiny fish, and even tinier fish are common ideas that confuse them.
5. Ask for no cheese on your French fries or potato wedges to every bar you go to even if they the menu doesn't show the potatoes sprinkled with cheese. (Cheese-U op-so-yo or Cheese-U Pay-go or Cheese-u an mogo-say-yo-I don't eat Cheese.)
6. Look for Vegan restaurants here: https://www.happycow.net/
7. Don't be discourage if you can't find a vegan restaurant on that site because a lot of them aren't listed.
8. Still go with your friends to meat buffets because you'll miss out on fun reminiscing. Plus, you can always eat the lettuce, tofu, and vegetables, just try to get your own grill because their meat juices will slide to your side of the hot plate no matter how many mushroom walls you erect ;)
9. Ignore the self-proclaim "health" enthusiasts that still probably smoke, drink every day, gobble loads of fried food, eat hamburgers, visit fast food chains, drink pop, buy chips and candy, but still think they know what a healthy diet looks like despite only reading Top Bullshit blog post about things that make them feel bad like veganism (Diet shaming), athleticism (fat shaming), and self-help (lazy shaming). 
10. Go to the Jeonju Bibimbap Festival, Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival, and Jinju Lantern Festival as those kick ass! Jinju is a little lukewarm, but they have a cool castle overseeing the giant lake. Jeonju Bibimbap has meat in the bowl and sometimes in the sauce, but you can find vegan Bibimbap at the Buddhist restaurant. They even have a Bibimbap dance and song!

All the best,

A Fellow Vegan

Offline paigekenzie

• Explorer
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
Still curious how paigekenzie can believe it is easier to be vegetarian in Korea compared to the US...

I lived in Florida in a big city, but there wasn't much available. There are waaaay more vegan/vegan-friendly eateries in Seoul than there were in Florida. And in the U.S., many meals are centered around meat. (E.g. steak and potatoes.) In Korea, meat is obviously still a huge thing, but there's at least traditional Korean places that provide rice and banchan that's often vegan, or bibimbap/kimbap that's veganizable. Plus, most traditional snacks you can get at any Korean tea house are naturally vegan.

Also, while produce is slightly more expensive here, other things like tofu are 239408239x cheaper! I can get a massive thing of tofu for under $2, whereas in the states, I paid $4 for a tiny, square package of the stuff. And there are tons of different types of vegan soy milks with different bean/nut combinations.

I suppose the only argument might be the language barrier/cultural attitude towards being vegan (or lack of awareness). I usually don't tell people I'm vegan though, and I just say in Korean that I have allergies to meat, dairy, and fish, and I don't have any issues.

Offline alpinelad

• Waygookin
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 12:38:16 AM »
A special shout out to SweetFlaxAndBarley! Very useful information! Thanks so much!!!

Offline Martins97

• Newgookin
  • The best thing In life is Good food,and Christ
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »
Veganism is great following the right recipe to get the best nutrients out of your vegan diet while still eating healthy
https://penmyemotions.com/vegan-diet-weight-loss/

To get the best posts on Health,Lifestyle,Christianity and Scam....Visit https://penmyemotions.com today

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2017, 08:35:36 AM »
An additional warning for people that are very serious about no animal products, most kimchi and a lot of the banchan sauces have fish/oyster sauce in them. I actually recently got into Korean food outside of simple soups and stews and there is a lot of hidden fish. The base broth of a lot of soups here is anchovy based so even a clear stew might have some fish. I actually don't really understand the reasoning behind some of it. I can't taste the difference between adding anchovies to the base and not adding them for almost all the soups because doenjang and gochujang are so strong.

Offline money55

• Super Waygook
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »
Yes it is. Megan Bowen is a vegan in sk and she seems to do fine. You might have to say I'm allergic to meat . However a lot vegans cook their own food.

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
Vegan Korean  foods Acorn Jelly this goes well
with Korean  rice wine Makoli. This is a good mountain
climbing dish. These kinds of restaurants  are popular at
The foot of a mountain

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 07:09:37 PM »
 Homemade  tofu. Dobonesan mountain

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
Bear in mind that South Korea is still one of the least vegan friendly countries. Typically in the Korean culture, vegetarianism/veganism is not well cherished.

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
Our distant ancestors got B12 from unwashed vegetables and insects.

Get it from krill or other such non-sentient seafood (heck, I enjoy hong hap - spicy mussel soup - for mine) if you like me wanna avoid pills or other factory products.

Your liver stores between six months and four years supply of B12 - yes the B vitamins are water soluble but B12 unlike the others is stored in the liver for years!

I am not surprised that anthropologists document countless traditional tribes with a vegetarian-daily diet complemented with a near-monthly "feast" of sorts on a pig roast or festival.

We have the digestive physiology mostly of a herbivore. Heck, check out the latest science (nutruitionfacts.org) on gut bacteria and TMAO.

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
 The EPIK application now has a question about whether you are a vegan or not. I can imagine that saying yes would seriously damage your chances of getting hired. I just wonder how many vegans would respond to such an obviously discriminatory question.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
Check "NO" and do your thing.

I never make an issue of it, but unfortunately some vegans and vegetarians can be pretty militant and cause unnecessary conflicts at work.

As for the application question, this is the problem...

There are two things at play: we are judged on what we do and we are judged by what other foreigners do, as well.

It's problematic, because when you crap in your backyard, it might actually impact others beyond you.

We are NOT a community by any stretch, but I wish all would be a little more mindful of that when they come to school every day reeking of soju and cigarettes, etc.