October 16, 2018, 01:46:46 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: What kind of car do you drive?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Telephone33

• Adventurer
What kind of car do you drive?
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
What kind of car do you drive? What year is it?

Im looking at cars at the moment. Cant decide between new or cool, and the budget wont stretch to new and cool.

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: What kind of car do you drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
I would go New.

Old and cool means parts are more likely to be needed, harder to find, and expensive if you do find them.

(2014 Sonata, 2016 Spark)

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 02:19:29 PM »
Kia Soul 2015  - cheap, looks decent (the new hybrids are cool, more colors too) Picked for its high safety rating and it was cheap(ish).
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/KIA/SOUL

Depends on your driving habits and needs.

Got a family? Get something with a good safety rating
Want to be green? Electric or hybrid
Drive alot? Something good on gas

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:53:36 PM »
Kia Soul 2015  - cheap, looks decent (the new hybrids are cool, more colors too) Picked for its high safety rating and it was cheap(ish).

I am at the age where I would say "Drive a lot? Something comfortable."  The Sonata gets 800 - 900 km per tank (90 000 won last week to fill it), but I would not want to drive the Spark for more than a half hour at a time.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »

I am at the age where I would say "Drive a lot? Something comfortable."  The Sonata gets 800 - 900 km per tank (90 000 won last week to fill it), but I would not want to drive the Spark for more than a half hour at a time.

+1 drove a matiz for a couple months with a broken seat stuck in the full upright/closest to steering wheel position.

That was fun....  :rolleyes:

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 03:53:37 PM »
Lol buying a new car here. The used car market is amazing because Koreans cast off perfectly fine cars with low mileage because they're "old and dirty."

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »
Lol buying a new car here. The used car market is amazing because Koreans cast off perfectly fine cars with low mileage because they're "old and dirty."

Yeah,  but they drive them hard, accelerate way too hard from a standing start (at green lights) and brake equally hard from stupid speeds (at red lights).  The stresses on the car over even a short time must wreak havoc on the vehicle.  What's more, some damage doesn't need to be declared when selling, so you don't know what happened, or how well (or badly) it was patched up.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 10:10:09 PM »
Well so don't buy an old car with like 150,000km on it. You can find a ridiculous range of cars for less than 5m with like 30,000 to 80,000km on them. Most of these cars would be like $10,000 in the US because of the low mileage. And repairs are super cheap here usually.

If you are in the vast majority of waygooks who will be here less than 5 years, get a used hoopty. If you're staying longer then by all means buy something newer.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
Well so don't buy an old car with like 150,000km on it. You can find a ridiculous range of cars for less than 5m with like 30,000 to 80,000km on them. Most of these cars would be like $10,000 in the US because of the low mileage. And repairs are super cheap here usually.

If you are in the vast majority of waygooks who will be here less than 5 years, get a used hoopty. If you're staying longer then by all means buy something newer.
That's the way I would go, even if planning to drive to work daily. As stated above, repairs here are, for the most part, cheap. Ask around and find a good mechanic.

New cars these days last and last if regularly serviced. If you plan on being here a decade or so, buy an Avante or the equivalent, maybe a Malibu or an Ioniq.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
I've driven the Kia Ray and K5 as rentals and I thought the Ray was quite good for what it was. It had most functions and lots of different places for storage etc and was nice enough to drive and park around town. It would be a good family car. The one drawback was it's lack of acceleration on the open road (changing into a faster lane) or going up hills. My friend has a Ray though and loves it. Plus it's a small engine so it's cheaper to register and get insurance.

I drive a 2016 K3 I bought new (K5 was nicer but $$). I like it and if you could get a newish K3 second hand I'd recommend it.

this is pretty good advice though.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline Stephensalz

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
I got a 2013 Kia Sportage.  When I bought it last year, it had 20,000 KM's on, never been in an accident, was in mint condition with most of the options, and I bought it for waaaay cheaper than I had expected.  Basically 45% of the new car price with the same options.  As stated above, don't buy a new car.  You can get huge discounts on used cars with low mileage on them.  The part of my search that really surprised me, though, was that one year old cars with 120,000 KM's were not very discounted, but four year old cars with low mileage were cheap cheap cheap.  That's the way to go.  I used http://www.encar.com/index.do (skencar, that was the first to pop up, I didn't check the site), and checked regularly for good deals.  After two weeks one popped up that I really liked, and I got it hassle-free.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »
I got a 2013 Kia Sportage.  When I bought it last year, it had 20,000 KM's on, never been in an accident, was in mint condition with most of the options, and I bought it for waaaay cheaper than I had expected.  Basically 45% of the new car price with the same options.  As stated above, don't buy a new car.  You can get huge discounts on used cars with low mileage on them.  The part of my search that really surprised me, though, was that one year old cars with 120,000 KM's were not very discounted, but four year old cars with low mileage were cheap cheap cheap.  That's the way to go.  I used http://www.encar.com/index.do (skencar, that was the first to pop up, I didn't check the site), and checked regularly for good deals.  After two weeks one popped up that I really liked, and I got it hassle-free.

120,000 Kms in 1 year is about 325k per day.  Uk average driving is 10 - 12,000 miles per year (16 - 20,000 Ks) for comparison.  It is almost impossible to do 120,000k in one year!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »

120,000 Kms in 1 year is about 325k per day.  Uk average driving is 10 - 12,000 miles per year (16 - 20,000 Ks) for comparison.  It is almost impossible to do 120,000k in one year!

Airport taxis are about the only ones who do that.

I used to commute 210 km per day (return) in Canada. I cannot imagine increasing that by 50%!

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
I wouldn't buy a new car, unless I could make as much as it costs in say 2 months. Or if I would drive 25-30k or above in a year
Many are worried about the service costs for a used car but they seem to forget is that their new car depreciates millions of wons each year.

I got a 2008 Kia Carens nearly 4 years ago. Bought it from my wife's best friend so we know its history and we got it cheap. We paid what a dealer offered them for it. I could still sell it for about 1.5 million less than what we paid for it. We spent only 400k on repairs that probably wouldn't have come up with a newer car. The rest was the regular stuff, fluids, tires, belts, battery etc.
We got it with 150k on the clock. Modern cars with proper maintenance should go at least 300k. Also, we only put 7-8k in it/year so even reaching 200k will take 2 or 3 more years.
Very happy with it overall. I like the kind of upright driving position. There is plenty of headroom which is good as I'm tall. Very spacious on the inside but not so huge one the outside so easy to park etc. Cheap enough to run as a commuter but large enough for family needs.
Liking the lpg too. Good fuel economy in the city and amazing on the highway, 11km or slightly above per liter. That would equal to 20-21km/l in case of a gasoline car if we compare the cost/km. It aint a racing car though. It does 140-150 km/h on the highway no problem but I could use better acceleration in certain situations. And not the best looking car ever. Although it's black with very dark tint on the windows so it kinda looks cool.
I will keep it for the remaining few years that we stay here. If we didn't leave, I would buy a more recent used Carens in 2-3 years. They got slightly better fuel economy and a much better tranny.
In fact, I'm strongly considering to buy one when we move back home. 7 years warranty is great. If you get a 3-4 year old one, you still have half of the warranty left.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:39:37 PM by Lazio »

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:21 PM »
I have a 2006 Korando jeep I bought in 2009 with only 16,000 km on it, in mint condition, in Busan (I paid 7.7 mill for it but when all was said and done, with tax, insurance and a little extra detailing, it was just under ten mill; I had been in the market for a Korando jeep for a year or so and expected to pay in the 5.5-6 mill range, when when I saw my bad boy in Busan I just knew I had to have it).

I passed 100,000 kms last fall and have made jaunts to Andong and Seoul from here in South Gyeongsang province in 2018 already. (I would have put many more kms on the odometer but I was living on Jeju Island for 7 of the last 9 years, and you can only circle the island so many times.)

It's black and looks a lot like this:

But mine is cooler: no yellow side light, just white, plus TINTED side windows, a much nicer front grill and lights and no fugly 's' symbol on the grill.

It's not my dad's ol' Jeep CJ5, but it's pretty awesome in its own right. The Mercedes-Benz engine is powerful, taking any hill by storm, and I blew out the turbo boost three times and decided not to replace it again, as it's expensive and unnecessary given how much power I get out of the engine on every climb.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:45:40 PM by VanIslander »

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »

Yeah,  but they drive them hard, accelerate way too hard from a standing start (at green lights) and brake equally hard from stupid speeds (at red lights).

The Korean drivers in my area don't seem to accelerate quickly from standing. Braking hard before reds is another matter entirely. I don't know why they seem to enjoy unnecessary emergency stops at every light.

The stresses on the car over even a short time must wreak havoc on the vehicle.  What's more, some damage doesn't need to be declared when selling, so you don't know what happened, or how well (or badly) it was patched up.

Body and frame damage, as well as major drivetrain problems, should technically be disclosed in the pre-purchase inspection that dealers are required to have undertaken. There's a lot of cheating though.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »

Airport taxis are about the only ones who do that.

I used to commute 210 km per day (return) in Canada. I cannot imagine increasing that by 50%!
A lot of people in Southern California come pretty close to that 120k in one year. The housing prices in LA are just ridiculous, so tons of people live like hours outside of LA and make the daily commute in/out. It's a crappy life though, wake up at like 3am/4am. Get to work around 7/8am. Then get back home at 7/8pm, eat and straight to bed for maybe 5 hours of sleep if you're lucky.

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 12:33:23 AM »
The Korean drivers in my area don't seem to accelerate quickly from standing. Braking hard before reds is another matter entirely. I don't know why they seem to enjoy unnecessary emergency stops at every light.
:laugh:

I am amazed constantly at how often Koreans ACCELERATE toward a red light. Don't they see the color? Can't they anticipate the timing given the crosswalk timing is pretty clear and the red light is fresh not stale?

I also TEAR AWAY from the line much faster at every red light when I have the room to do so. Us Westerners accelerate FROM turned green lights faster and decelerate TO red lights slower than Koreans. That's an unassailable fact. It's proven every day. Just open your eyes and pay attention to it.

I also pass countless Koreans when I go uphill but am passed by them when going downhill. I use the motor brake (the natural deceleration motion of the vehicle when going downhill, but red light ahead or not, the locals step on the gas when going down, yet they don't go pedal to the metal upward, whereas up Westerners often jack it upward. I can count on my hand the muber of times I have been passed by Koreans when going UP but usually when I go uphill I'm flooring it and when I'm passed 9 times out of 10 it's by another foreigner (a fact more remarkable given I spend 95% of my road time in Gyeongsangnamdo and Jeju, not the big cities, and certainly far away from military bases.

Offline KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »
Bought a 2007 Getz diesel (new).

Purchased a 2016 morning (new).

Never buy a used car here.  It's simply not worth it.