August 20, 2018, 06:21:19 PM

Author Topic: Giving baby different names on different passports (Canada & Korea)  (Read 838 times)

Offline Jumpman Jr.

• Veteran
My wife and I had a baby last month. I'm Canadian, she's Korean.

Her first (given) name works both in Korean and English. Say it's "Hana" (it's not).
My wife's last name is "Lee"
My last name is a typical English/Canadian last name. Say it's "Smith" (it's not).

We want her Korean citizenship papers to have my wife's last name: Hana Lee
And her Canadian citizenship papers to have my last name: Hana Smith

I've read this might be hard. Unfortunately, we already registered her in Korea as Hana Lee, thinking I could just go to the Canadian embassy and tell them I wanted her to use my last name in Canada.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Does the embassy not allow me to use my Canadian last name when naming my own daughter?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:09:40 PM by Jumpman Jr. »

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Giving baby different names of different passports (Canada & Korea)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
You will need to have the hospital create an English birth certificate with whatever name (or not) you want her to have for the Canadian passport. Also check out Expat dads in Korea on fb great group, very knowledgeable.

Also congratulations!

Offline Jumpman Jr.

• Veteran
Re: Giving baby different names on different passports (Canada & Korea)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 09:14:16 PM »
We have a Korean birth certificate from the hospital. With that, we went to the local gu office and registered her name with that in Korean. So, I guess she would appear under my wife's family registry now.

The family registry is one of the things I'd need to bring into the embassy, by looking at their website.

If I have a birth certificate with an English last name (my last name), and the registry with her Korean last name - will that not cause problems?

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »
I honestly don't know but I know some dudes that do:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/152061588330944?ref=bookmarks

Online Lazio

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »
If your embassy requires both the hospital birth cert. and the Korean registry, then you shouldn't have different names on those I believe. But there is a way around it.

Get the hospital issue a birth certificate in English with whatever name you want for your child in Canada. In our case the hospital gave us a Korean and an English one. The Korean one didn't even have a name on it for the baby. Just my 'wife's name' and 'baby' for example: 이유진 아기, where 이유진 would be my wife's name (it's not). On the English one they gave me a form and I filled it out the way I wanted. I could have asked several papers from them and write different names on each one of them, they didn't care.

Go to the local government office (it doesn't even need to be the gu-office, you can do it at the dong office) and change the name your wife already registered to the name you want on the canadian papers. You can easily change it. It might cost a thousand won or something, or it could be free, I don't know. But it is possible to change an already registered name without much trouble.
On the Korean side they don't care what name you want to register. You are just given a form to fill out and you can write whatever name you want on it. The birth certificate from the hospital is only needed so they can check the date of birth and the parents' name.

With the English birth cert. from the hospital and the local registry paper, now both showing the same name, you go to your embassy and register your child. After that you can go back to your dong office and change the name to whatever you want for the baby in Korea to have.

Our son's name is just like the way you want it - same first name but different last names in the two countries. It can be done.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:02:36 PM by Lazio »

Offline Jumpman Jr.

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »
Nice! Are you Canadian? I've seen a few posts from people in America saying that's what they did, but some from Canada saying that it was a bit harder.

Online Lazio

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:28:21 AM »
Nice! Are you Canadian? I've seen a few posts from people in America saying that's what they did, but some from Canada saying that it was a bit harder.

No, I'm not Canadian, nor American.
In fact my embassy only required the English birth certificate issued by the hospital. I had to get it notarized though. But they didn't need the Korean registry paper. If they did, I would have done what I wrote above.
I know some people (Americans) that have done it.  But I don't see how it would be different for Canadians. The Korean side of the process is the same and the documents you need to submit at the embassy are also the same.

Basically, the Korean authorities don't care about what name you register in the foreign passport. And that is the key point that allows you to work around this two different name problem.

Or ultimately, you can change her name in Canada at a later time. They wouldn't even know or care that she is a dual citizen and what her name is on the other country's papers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:23:23 PM by Lazio »

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »
The Canadian Embassy does not like the 2 name BS with birth certificates when applying for citizenship because it has been used to create 2 identities for 1 person. You might get rejected and if so you might not be able to get your child registered with Korean Immigration in the short time frame set out by them. You may have to pay a fine as well. 

Online Lazio

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »
The Canadian Embassy does not like the 2 name BS with birth certificates when applying for citizenship because it has been used to create 2 identities for 1 person. You might get rejected and if so you might not be able to get your child registered with Korean Immigration in the short time frame set out by them. You may have to pay a fine as well.

Why would you need to register a Korean citizen with Korean Immigration?!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:31:24 PM by Lazio »

Offline Jumpman Jr.

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:36:27 PM »

My daughter is already registered as a Korean citizen, so I'm not sure why Korean Immigration would care. At all times, she'll remain a Korean citizen, I just Canada to recognize her Canadian name, not her Korean name.
Could you explain what you mean a bit more?

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »

My daughter is already registered as a Korean citizen, so I'm not sure why Korean Immigration would care. At all times, she'll remain a Korean citizen, I just Canada to recognize her Canadian name, not her Korean name.
Could you explain what you mean a bit more?

Sure I can explain. You can't do it. Go and ask the embassy yourself. Can't have 2 different passports with different names for the same person.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 03:08:39 AM »
I think there should be a law or some sort of monetary reward for choosing a name as far in advance as possible. This and all the name pollution would be mitigated.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Jumpman Jr.

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 06:54:20 AM »
Sure I can explain. You can't do it. Go and ask the embassy yourself. Can't have 2 different passports with different names for the same person.

I understand the logic, I just have heard of people who have done it.
I personally know two kids who have done this. I'm a coach, and I've booked travel for two kids and I've personally seen both their passports. One was Thai/Korean, and the other was Japanese/Korean. The names (both first and last) in their passports were different for the different nationalities. One of the kids Thai last names was like 25 letters long, but his Korean last name was "Lee."

There also seems to be somebody in this thread who has been able to do it.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that it might be difficult, but I don't think it's impossible. I don't want to give my daughter my last name in Korea, because it would would cause so many headaches with her having a foreign last name.

Here's the Canadian embassy information for Japan (I can't find any similar official information for Korea, but if you assume that Canada lets it fly with one country, they should with another):

http://canadainternational.gc.ca/japan-japon/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

It looks like they're suggesting that you just name your kid with a Japanese name, and then switch it whenever you move back to Canada. Problem is, I don't have any plans of moving back.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:00:11 AM by Jumpman Jr. »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »
Legally changing your name in Canada is easy, as is living under an assumed name.

Personally, I would stick with one name for legal purposes, and use the assumed name socially when you want to.

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:41 AM »
Legally changing your name in Canada is easy, as is living under an assumed name.

Personally, I would stick with one name for legal purposes, and use the assumed name socially when you want to.

Agree 100%. What the OP is suggesting was possible years ago but due to a whole host of reasons (fraud/abuse for criminal matters/child abduction/the list goes on) it's not allowed anymore. The OP has seen others pulling this scam and is just trying to get some advantage and game the system. Pretty sure there is something about not doing this on the application form which I may add is a signed legal document. Uttering false statements/documents can result in a rejected application/fines and will certainly get the OP "on the list."

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

Offline freddyinkorea

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »
My son has different names for his Korean and Canadian passports. This was 11 years ago so things might have changed.

Korean Passport: Surname = Wife's family name.  Given names = first name we gave him.  Example "Lee Jinwoo"

Canadian Passport: Surname = My family name. Given names = wife's family name + first name we gave him. Example "MacDonald Lee Jinwoo"

Agree 100%. What the OP is suggesting was possible years ago but due to a whole host of reasons (fraud/abuse for criminal matters/child abduction/the list goes on) it's not allowed anymore. The OP has seen others pulling this scam and is just trying to get some advantage and game the system. Pretty sure there is something about not doing this on the application form which I may add is a signed legal document. Uttering false statements/documents can result in a rejected application/fines and will certainly get the OP "on the list."

What scam?  What advantages? 

Offline Jumpman Jr.

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
It's not about any scam or advantage. I simply want my daughter to have my last name, but I don't want to give her some ridiculous last name in Korea (which would be my last name in Korean).

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 02:00:34 PM »
It will also make them look sketchy when they go have to go to court for something and those "A.K.A."' names add up.

Korean legal name AKA Canadian legal name AKA Korean nickname AKA Canadian nickname AKA Married name AKA ...

Makes them look like an international gangster!

Online Lazio

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »
It's not about any scam or advantage. I simply want my daughter to have my last name, but I don't want to give her some ridiculous last name in Korea (which would be my last name in Korean).

Exactly! Even my wife can't pronounce my last name correctly. I don't want my son to struggle with getting his name understood by others.

It isn't illegal to give 2 different names. Perhaps not recommended and a bit of a grey area but it isn't illegal.