February 25, 2018, 01:40:21 PM

Author Topic: Should I quit and wait?  (Read 850 times)

Offline rdevul

• Newgookin
Should I quit and wait?
« on: February 05, 2018, 11:02:27 PM »
So my hakwon job has gotten really bad in recent times.  It is mostly due to the boss.   Currently, the boss is incredibly aggressive and a drunk.  He is prone to insulting the employees, is an egomaniac and is prone to firing people prior to finishing their contract, likely in order to not have to pay for the flight back and severance.   
To make things worse, the boss is now telling me to get checked out at the hospital.  The claim is that I have a mental issue and the boss wants to "determine" if I am suitable for work.  Currently I have a E2 Visa and my contract ends in March, but I am starting to think that I should quit now instead.  I do not plan on staying in Korea after this job.  I no longer find it desirable. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: Should I quit and wait?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:20:27 AM »
You haven't mentioned any reasons to stay, so I think you have already made up your mind.

If he has a history of 11th month firings, then trying to stick around to get your severance is foolish.

Move on.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:01:21 AM »
No way! Stick out another month. Labor board is getting better about acknowledging 11th month firings. Definitely don't quit.

Offline fishead

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
No way! Stick out another month. Labor board is getting better about acknowledging 11th month firings. Definitely don't quit.

Agreed he's calling your bluff. Mental illness is hard to detect at most Korean hospitals. Get that contract end bonus

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
Yeah, don't let that ****** get away with trying to scam you out of your severance. Stick it out, and go to the labor board if he tries anything.

If you aren't already, though, you should be secretly recording any conversations you have with the guy (just make sure you can be heard at some point in the recording as part of those conversations so that it'll be legal).

And keep any and every document/email he sends your way.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:54:37 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline hamid62

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
^^What they said

You can also look up look for help in the Labor Laws (노동법) app.  I found it in the App Store but I'm sure they have it in the Play Store as well.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »
So close to finishing the contract?  No chance.  At the moment, you don't have anything to really go to the Labour Board about with hard evidence, but from now on you should be recording dates and information if things should be go toots up.  But you could give them a call on 1350 and see what they say, which may give you peace of mind for the rest of this month and next.  They can give you some information IF you can proceed now, but like I said, there isn't anything hard for them to go on yet.  You don't have to give your name, you can give them a speculative call and see what they suggest.

By the sounds of it, if he is a terrible boss then that may be reflected in the contract you signed.  Is there an exit flight?  What are the termination clauses?  Even if he wrote something about being able to fire you for 'mental' reasons, that would not stand up with Labour, because as someone mentioned, diagnosing a mental problem in Korea is almost non-existent. 

Stick this one out and don't be too quick to escape, if he is a coont like you say, then a cold shock will give him something he deserves and can help others who may fall for working at his school.

Offline rdevul

• Newgookin
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
I have some evidence of the boss' drunk debaunchry but no video.

He is now writing the employees up for any infraction, especially things that do not matter.  I have already been told that have two written notices, though have yet to see them. 

With the way things go here, I don't think I will last that long here

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:14:31 AM »

He is now writing the employees up for any infraction, especially things that do not matter.  I have already been told that have two written notices, though have yet to see them. 

Getting fired would be better than quitting in your situation. It sucks and sorry you have to deal with it. Did you speak with previous teachers before accepting this job? Hope it all works out for you, but you may have to put up with alot of bs to get there.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 09:20:22 AM »

Yeah, in all honesty he's probably just trying to pressure people into quitting or making them THINK that they're fired so that he can get out of paying for severance. If he says you're fired (hopefully recorded), don't stop coming to work unless he presents you with documentation that says you are fired, along with a letter of release. It's a common tactic for shady hagwon owners and directors to "fire" you but then claim you quit later so that they can scam you out of money they owe you and avoid possible legal consequences (it often fails when workers know their rights and are prepared). When they make the claim that you quit and you don't have much evidence to discredit that claim, it can also make it more difficult for you to file a case of illegal termination against them. That's why it's so important to keep records of his behavior prior to the event, to prove that he had intent, and, by the sounds of it, he's giving you a lot to work with. If he says you're fired and you continue to show up to work because he refuses to present you with paperwork stating that you're fired and WHY he fired you (this is a legal requirement for official firings or else they can always claim you quit, but a recording with him saying or implying you're fired would be great evidence against him), and he begins to threaten you with legal action or calling the police, call his bluff and tell him you'll be happy to leave once he provides you with official paperwork. He probably won't call anyone. xD But even if he does, you can explain your situation to the police (if he calls anyone he'll probably try to claim you're trespassing, but you can just show the police your contract, proving that you're an employee, and explain that your employer never provided you with documentation for an official firing -- all the while with you recording the whole thing so that if he states that you're fired to the police, you have evidence that can be submitted against him). You're legally entitled to documentation officially stating that you're fired and why you were fired, period. 

Also, if he's not presenting you with any evidence of these write-ups, they probably don't exist. He's bluffing and trying to set up false pretenses for future actions.

Just keep showing up to work, keep detailed records of everything (email, messages, etc.) that he sends you or anyone else, keep a log (date and times) of anything he says or does against you (recorded and non-recorded), and secretly record every ****** thing he says anytime he's speaking to you about anything (date and time these, too, with a brief description of what was said -- this will save you a lot of time and trouble later).

OP, also sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:03:45 PM by Chinguetti »