April 26, 2018, 11:31:56 PM

Author Topic: Watching American shows/Netflix in Korea  (Read 5613 times)

Offline chicagoaninkorea90

• Waygookin
Watching American shows/Netflix in Korea
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
I am just curious if there are any free VPN (Virtual Private Network) programs that anyone has used to freely browse U.S. sites and/or watch U.S. shows/Netflix?

Offline pearlitaPP

• Explorer
Re: Watching American shows/Netflix in Korea
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:51:33 AM »
I'll send you a link via PM :-)

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 07:30:43 AM »
Why not just torrent them and save some money.  Google how to do it.  I would bet most people here i have tons of tv shows saved.  Not me of course, I would never break copyright laws but other people might.
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Offline lysekend

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »
PearlitaPP, will you pm me the info as well?

Offline dukie

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »
I think you're talking about a slingbox.  I have a HD version hooked up at my brothers house and it's great.  The only thing you can't torrent easily are all the sport games, so that's what I basically use it for.

http://www.slingbox.com/get/countrySelect?page=/go/home

Offline GoCyclones

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »
I use a paid service called Strong VPN that is very reliable.  You can also use something like Hotspotshield, I think, which might be free?  There are some freebees, but I haven't tried them. 

I know you cannot torrent over StrongVPN, and they'll quickly warn, then dump you on future offenses.

If you want to do Netflix without a computer, you can purchase a device for streaming Netflix.  RCA, Sony, and Boxee all make them.  They are sold at Wal-mart for between $50 and $100 or so.  I have an RCA my family uses back home.  They must be registered with a netflix account (no big deal) and although I haven't tried one overseas, they SHOULD work IF you have a router before your outgoing internet signal which works with a service like StrongVPN to change your IP.  This can be done, but it's not for the average person who doesn't understand IP's and setting-up a router.

Easiest route is a computer with VPN service.  We have such a thing hooked to a TV in our livingroom.  You can purchase a used IBM Compatible Dual-core computer (preferrably with HDMI output) for around 200,000 to 230,000 that will handle this.

When we find a show kids like, we watch it some on Neflix, then ultimately end up downloading an entire year of it via torrent.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:37:48 AM by GoCyclones »

Offline Quintin85

• Newgookin
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 10:14:31 PM »
I think you're talking about a slingbox.

I'm aware that this is a posting to an old thread, but how to get US Netflix over VPN in 2018? I've tried some of the solutions mentioned here but no luck. I've come across Sneakflix and wonder if anyone has experience with them - do Netflix actually work, how is the speed from US to Asia?

Offline leaponover

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »
I use Netflix all the time, and there is enough content for me I don't really even need the US version.  I've already watched the old stuff so I just watch new stuff as they add it.

I've also never had any problems with the speed like I did trying to watch it in the US.  It's very quick, no stuttering issues at all.  The new content even has a "skip introduction" button which is freaking awesome for binge watching.

IF there is absolutely something I need to watch that it doesn't have I use Kodi for the rest...but that's hit or miss.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »

IF there is absolutely something I need to watch that it doesn't have I use Kodi for the rest...but that's hit or miss.

Exceedingly hit or miss, ever since the major content providers dropped out last year. That was a bummer, because I was using it for pretty much everything. It's all a crapshoot now.

For Netflix, the VPN I subscribe to (HideMyAss) seems to have a dedicated server available for Netflix. I assume that means they regularly change/update its IP address so Netflix doesn't catch it. I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I've read that some people have.

Offline leaponover

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 03:09:38 PM »
Before when I was using Hulu and they were consistently blocking the vpns I just used a DNS blocker like Unlocker.  That always seemed to work.

I switched to NordVPN afterwards, but now I don't really do anything.  Just canceled NordVPN a month ago as I was never using it.  I just settle with whatever Netflix has available, pay for Google movies, and then use Kodi when it works.  I pay for NHL gamecenter and still use Kodi exclusively for that as it provides the 60fps and can avoid spoilers better than NHL gamecenter's website.

Full disclaimer, I have a Korean wife fluent in English but she still prefers having Korean subtitles for those highly specialized medical or spy vocab lol.

Offline profporkchop

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:22:01 PM »
I dunno. I got a fire tv that is hacked to hell and back.

https://www.ultimatejailbrokenfiresticks.com

haven't used it yet, but it's supposed to have most anything you'd wanna watch

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 07:17:28 AM »
What are Kodi users doing these days?  I havenít used it since the purge last year.

Offline leaponover

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »
What are Kodi users doing these days?  I havenít used it since the purge last year.

It's still pretty useful.  I find lots of shows, I just sometimes get nasty stuttering issues.  I use the "No Limits Build" and regularly update it because they get rid of the broken things and add the newest functioning stuff.  Like I said, it's pretty good still, just run into issues with logjams in speed and it's always from the content provider's end and not mine.

I didn't use Kodi that much before the housecleaning, so I guess if you are trying it for the first time it's way better than coming to it from what it used to be.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »

Neptune Rising and Genesis Reborn are the video add ons I was using most recently, but that was a month or two ago, so for all I know they're bricked now, too.

Offline freddyinkorea

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:05 PM »
For Android I mainly use Terrarium TV https://terrariumtvappdownloads.com
There are others similar but I really haven't had to use any others (Google: Terrarium Tv alternatives).  Only downside to using Terrarium are the ads.  Or here is a download to an Adfree version. This link is clean, unlike if you google search for a download. https://ln.sync.com/dl/2069bbaf0/nmn4yvv8-frbz7iz5-6pfbu9ks-78df92ae 

For windows, but not as good as Terrarium for 1080p https://teatv.net

Offline leaponover

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »

Neptune Rising and Genesis Reborn are the video add ons I was using most recently, but that was a month or two ago, so for all I know they're bricked now, too.

Those are still there, they just get new names, but same ones.  For me Poseidon add on works the best, or whatever they are calling it nowadays....(it probably used to be Neptune lol)