December 14, 2018, 12:51:02 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Teaching with a broken foot - advice and suggestions  (Read 2107 times)

Online dopatocin

• Newgookin
Teaching with a broken foot - advice and suggestions
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:34:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a middle school teacher through EPIK. Two weeks ago, I broke a bone in my foot at my school. They allowed me to take 10 days of paid sick leave from school. I have been resting at home during this time.

My first day back at school is this Wednesday, April 18th. I have been instructed to plan 2 out of 3 lessons for this day. Fortunately, our school has midterms on Thursday and Friday, so I can use those days to plan my lessons for the upcoming week.

However, I am worried about the prospect of teaching while in crutches. Do any of you have some suggestions or strategies for me to incorporate for teaching during this time?

Foot information:
- My foot is secured with bandages and a splint
- I am not allowed to bear weight on this foot
- I must use crutches to move around
- I should not be standing for long periods of time

School information:
- I teach out of my own classroom with a desktop computer. I do not share this classroom with other teachers.
- I will be allowed to stay in my classroom during free periods to lesson plan.
- Since lunch is inaccessible (stairs only, held in the high school next to us), I cannot eat the school lunch. I should bring some food with me to school.

Thank you in advance for your time spent reading this and considering my situation~

Offline nzer-in-gyeongnam

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "abnosome" ~ "abnormal in an awesome way."
Re: Teaching with a broken foot - advice and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:24:04 PM »
When instances such as this occur, the school will allow you to teach from a chair. Make sure you keep your foot propped up as much as possible.

As for meals, you can ask one of your co-teachers to find a responsible student who can fetch your meals and bring them to your class each day (if you eat school lunches) and that way you wont have to worry about the added stress of preparing a meal for lunch each day too. If you don't eat the school lunches, then life as usual would assume. However, asking for someone to bring you a plate wouldn't be a bad idea if its really too difficult to navigate stairs with the crutches.

Your co-workers will help you out as much as they can, I am sure, and teaching should be as normal.

I am sorry you have had this happen. I was in a full leg splint for a month a few years ago, and that was hard enough - knee injuries suck. I would hate to break a bone in this country. Its just a scary thought.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
What the others have said, but I'd also get myself a remote presenter to use for my powerpoints (I have one already, just saying I would get one if I didn't already have one, lol) so that I can have students push me around in my wheelie chair (I like to walk around my classroom and zero in on areas where a student(s) may not be paying attention). Would be a lot of fun having students watching other students zip me over to problem corners while I navigate with my ruler.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:13:11 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »
Ohohoh boy do I remember the pain of breaking a foot.

Don't screw around, when they say stay off of it they mean it. I messed around and tried to push it and as a result my foot didn't start healing until much later in the process. Instead of 6 weeks said and done, it was more like 10.

If you're too shy or not close enough to anyone to ask for lunches brought to you, if there's a convenience store nearby I would get a 2 pack of kimbap to eat for lunch. It's less than $2 and pretty filling.

Stay seated and leg elevated as much as you can. You can even randomly generate a student assistant for the day to do your leg work or move slides on the .ppt while you sit in the front of the class so you can keep an eye on everyone.

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 02:59:17 AM »
10 days off friggin' paid ????????????????

Back in '05 I was in my third year at my first hagwon and a student rocked the desk too far and it fell on and fractured my big toe (imagine the worst stubbing of your toes shooting pain in your life and times it by ten!! - i swore for about two minutes, fortunately, most words my elementary school aged low level class didn't understand back then). My director took me immediately to the ospital. X-rays confirmed the fracture, the toe was bandaged and the foot immobilized, crutches given, and my director drove me.... BACK TO THE HAGWON TO FINISH TEACHING THE LAST TWO CLASSES OF THE DAY! The next morning i received a call that I could teach that day as the director had found a good chair for me, an old bar stool with a back arm rest that let me prop up one foot on a chair yet still remain standing, sort of.

I was a bit surprised that I wasn't driven home and given a few days off but the shock wore off quickly as I recalled learning before I came here that Koreans show up to work sick and hurt, the business work ethic here.

So I'm actually MORE surprised that you got two weeks off!! Of course, public school unions might have something to do with it. the cost ain't borne by a small business couple trying to run a family biz.

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 07:05:49 AM »
What you have sounds like a fifth Metatarsal fracture. I had one.
It will take between 6 to eight weeks before
You will be off crutches. I had a metal pin placed in my foot to allow the bones to heal faster. There  are youtube videos that will show you how to climb the stairs. You might want to look into getting a stiff soled shoe. This allows you to gradually bear weight on your injured foot and eventually get off crutches

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 07:21:18 AM »

Back in '05 I was in my third year at my first hagwon and a student rocked the desk too far and it fell on and fractured my big toe (imagine the worst stubbing of your toes shooting pain in your life and times it by ten!! - i swore for about two minutes, fortunately, most words my elementary school aged low level class didn't understand back then). My director took me immediately to the ospital. X-rays confirmed the fracture, the toe was bandaged and the foot immobilized, crutches given, and my director drove me.... BACK TO THE HAGWON TO FINISH TEACHING THE LAST TWO CLASSES OF THE DAY! The next morning i received a call that I could teach that day as the director had found a good chair for me, an old bar stool with a back arm rest that let me prop up one foot on a chair yet still remain standing, sort of.

I was a bit surprised that I wasn't driven home and given a few days off but the shock wore off quickly as I recalled learning before I came here that Koreans show up to work sick and hurt, the business work ethic here.

So I'm actually MORE surprised that you got two weeks off!! Of course, public school unions might have something to do with it. the cost ain't borne by a small business couple trying to run a family biz.

Yeah, I don't get the ten days thing either. I mean you get your foot secured with bandages and a splint, you maybe take some painkillers and you have to go around on crutches. Ten days later you're in exactly the same situation. Why not take another ten days off?  Either it's a case of people who can't walk, can't teach or you get back in the classroom.  Maybe have a couple off to get over the shock.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:24:48 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 08:24:49 AM »

Yeah, I don't get the ten days thing either. I mean you get your foot secured with bandages and a splint, you maybe take some painkillers and you have to go around on crutches. Ten days later you're in exactly the same situation. Why not take another ten days off?  Either it's a case of people who can't walk, can't teach or you get back in the classroom.  Maybe have a couple off to get over the shock.

Y'all some real ESL heroes, can I have an autograph?

When you get married you get 5 days paid leave. Just because you decided to go to Jeju Island for 3 days doesn't mean you come back to work on Thursday. You don't get those 2 extra days paid in lieu. So why would you go to work any sooner with a broken foot?

If a clause is in your contract that benefits you, use it.

Ain't no reward in the public school game for being a good Samaritan. In fact y'all be the first to complain when the contract changes from 10 days paid leave to 5 days paid leave cos people are going into work with broken feet and gun shot wounds to the head after a couple days to get over the shock.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:42:10 AM »

Y'all some real ESL heroes, can I have an autograph?

When you get married you get 5 days paid leave. Just because you decided to go to Jeju Island for 3 days doesn't mean you come back to work on Thursday. You don't get those 2 extra days paid in lieu. So why would you go to work any sooner with a broken foot?

If a clause is in your contract that benefits you, use it.

Ain't no reward in the public school game for being a good Samaritan. In fact y'all be the first to complain when the contract changes from 10 days paid leave to 5 days paid leave cos people are going into work with broken feet and gun shot wounds to the head after a couple days to get over the shock.

The honeymoon is not a good analogy. It's a set holiday you're given to do with what you please. Sick leave isn't.

It's pretty easy to take advantage of paid sick leave and there are plenty of people willing to. Those who don't are not heroes, they just have a bit of what we used to call integrity. And no it doesn't give you any benefits. Feel free to mock.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:44:47 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »
When your school willingly give you 10 days paid leave to let your broken foot heal but you go back to work after 2 days that isn't integrity that's stupidity.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
When your school willingly give you 10 days paid leave to let your broken foot heal but you go back to work after 2 days that isn't integrity that's stupidity.

+1

I'm often amazed at some of the conditions employees here subject themselves to out of fear of employer anger (and non-renewal).

Grow a spine...you have a broken foot. 

Heal first..teach second.

Online debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:57 AM »
wait...we get ten days sick leave? :s Or did you tack on some other paid leave to make it up? I figured it was 5.

I broke a rib last year (most painful thing I've ever done) I couldn't even breathe without extreme pain and I was put on some pretty heavy medication. I told them I couldn't go to school as I virtually had to crawl to the hospital to get an x-ray and they "let me" have the next day off too...and that was that. I resumed my normal duties the day after even though talking was like being stabbed in the chest. They acted like they'd done me some huge favor. I wasn't confident enough in that school to insist on more.

TBH my middle schoolers are literally always breaking limbs and they're expected to come in as usual...so I don't think my school would have much sympathy.

Hope it heals quickly for you! :)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 09:25:14 AM »
When I had knee surgery, I had the 11 days paid sick leave and then just sat in the chair and taught from the computer and wheeled around when absolutely necessary. That lasted... maybe another month or so. Since this was at a public school with GEPIK, we were allowed a grand total of 13 sick days.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
 :-[

A school willingly gives you sick days whether you're sick or not. If your broken foot will heal better by sitting down at home than sitting down at work then sure it's the best policy. If you can just as easily go to work without any adverse effects you're no different from the guy taking a sickie.

Online AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
A school willingly gives you sick days whether you're sick or not. If your broken foot will heal better by sitting down at home than sitting down at work then sure it's the best policy. If you can just as easily go to work without any adverse effects you're no different from the guy taking a sickie.

'Taking a sickie'...as in legitimately sick and not going into work? Because I don't know anyone who abuses their sick days by getting drunk on a Sunday and calling in sick on a Monday hungover.* You know people personally who still do that?

*Not anymore, anyway

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »

'Taking a sickie'...as in legitimately sick and not going into work? Because I don't know anyone who abuses their sick days by getting drunk on a Sunday and calling in sick on a Monday hungover.* You know people personally who still do that?

*Not anymore, anyway

It still happens.  I know the teacher at the high school near me who was 'sick' most Mondays and would let his co-teacher know by Facebook message that he wasn't coming to school. 

I think 'adverse effects' could include students accidentally knocking into you or people on public transport.  When I dislocated my shoulder years ago playing football and I was wearing the support, not only was I worried about people knocking me on the bus but also my students knocking into me.  I still went to school but I can imagine you'd need to make sure the students know not to be rough with you.  It does happen.

Sure but that can happen after your ten days are up. It's also an argument for not employing disabled people, which I'm sure wouldn't go down well here.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 10:10:01 AM »
:-[

Well actually most contractual sick leave clauses state that a sick day period of x days must be met with a doctors note or the like. If the doctor advises OP to stay home for 10 days does your integrity and moral superiority over the 'pulling a sickie' generation supersede the doctors recommendation?

How does one board the packed bus at 8 in the morning with a broken foot and crutches? How does one get from the bus stop to school? Magic carpet? How does one get dressed for school? How does one get home from school? How does one navigate around school? How does one have lunch or navigate the stairs?

You're not looking at the whole pie.  :blank:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »

Well actually most contractual sick leave clauses state that a sick day period of x days must be met with a doctors note or the like. If the doctor advises OP to stay home for 10 days does your integrity and moral superiority over the 'pulling a sickie' generation supersede the doctors recommendation?

A doctor will give you a note for an imaginary bad back at the drop of a hat. A doctor would probably advise a patient to stay at home until the foot is completely healed. Not just for the ten days allowed by the school.

How does one board the packed bus at 8 in the morning with a broken foot and crutches? How does one get from the bus stop to school? Magic carpet? How does one get dressed for school? How does one get home from school? How does one navigate around school? How does one have lunch or navigate the stairs?

You're not looking at the whole pie.  :blank:

I guess the same way you would do all those things when your ten days are up, your foot is still broken, you're still on crutches and it's time to go back to work

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 10:36:58 AM »

*Not anymore, anyway

You're joking right?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
Lmao. Suppose we'll just do away with sick days next year folks.  :rolleyes: