April 21, 2018, 01:43:23 PM

Author Topic: Tempted...  (Read 546 times)

Offline Starfirefly

• Explorer
Tempted...
« on: April 14, 2018, 08:23:22 PM »
Good grief. This school seemed awesome. I finally came to visit. I knew from two current teachers that pay hasn't been an issue, it's legal, etc. The schedule is going to be ok.

But I got BAD vibes from the head (I think) KT. I don't know what it is. More than a personal dislike of me, she seems mean. I can't put my finger on it , she was smiling, being nice...but something nasty lurked under the surface. I do not trust her.

The owner...I don't know. Not nasty , but not trustworthy, either. Maybe casually disrespectful in that I sensed he was laughing at me as a nervous foreigner with her in Korean, but it seemed benign...as far as that goes. :/ But I think I also sensed he could be easily irritated...if I wasn't careful enough.

I tend to be very careful with people because I grew up having to walk on eggshells. But I'm also quick to suspect, quick to jump to conclusions, and quick to cut and run for the same reasons.

What bothers me most is that he took me to see someone's apt. (Mine would be similar)without their permission. I don't know how he had the code. So maybe the person was ok with HIS entering ? But not me. I felt guilty, too, but I don't make trouble in those situations, especially knowing how Koreans feel about loss of face. But if he did it to her, will he do it to me? I'd be livid. It didn't seem normal...this school has been hard after me, and I do have the right background. I'm trying to find a way to see it in a less-bad light.

This all sounds awful, and I feel awful about the prospect of taking this job now...but I'm still tempted.

I'm sick to death of the search, this is the only place I've seen in person, but I know from current experience, advice, nearby hagwons, and pics that I'm going to have a hard time finding anything close to this good...in other ways. I love the prospect of the actual work. Older kids, more freedom, a great director with a teaching background.

And honestly...it's beautiful. The school, the housing, everything. It REALLY bothers me how ugly, polluted, and dirty everything is where I teach now. I'm just really sensitive to my environment. But that includes social. Can I  work with this kt? When my body rwacts this strongly against the way she made me feel? Yet giving up this job...ach! I'm afraid of where I'll  end up next! I can't keep things up in the air like this, I need to land. In a comfortable place where I can sort things out until I know what I want to do next year.

I better guard my key code securely. :/

Actually, even my current head kt asked for it. :( I said no, but had to lie to get him to give up. At least he asked? Is this normal in Korea?

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: Tempted...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
Normal to allow access during last 60 days of tenancy to show apartment.

Offline solveit

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »
Out of interest, how do you know it was without their permission? Did the owner tell you? Because they could well have asked if it was okay to show potential new teachers the apartment. I let my boss show my apartment to potential teachers. Totally a normal thing to do.

Maybe instead of being suspicious, you could try going in with an open mind? The head KT was smiling and nice, but you've decided she's mean, untrustworthy and nasty. You "sensed" the owner was laughing at you and was easily irritated... you seem to have drawn a lot of negative conclusions about them based on no evidence whatsoever.

It really doesn't sound awful to me at all - honestly I think it sounds awful that you've made such mean assumptions about people you've barely met.

You say you're careful with people, and that's quite sensible - so am I, I don't trust people easily. But try not being so quick to jump to conclusions, or you'll have a negative start to what could be a great, positive experience.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »

Accurate.

Literally everyone does this when a tenant is moving out.

Offline debbiem89

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
They don't need to know your key code.

I lived in an apartment once and I changed the code when I moved in.

One day I came home from school to find that the landlord had been in and updated my television....without my permission and without even telling me.

I only knew because the television remote control was different and the drawer were i kept the remote, beneath the tv, was open.

They can override it clearly.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:52 AM »
They don't need to know your key code.

I lived in an apartment once and I changed the code when I moved in.

One day I came home from school to find that the landlord had been in and updated my television....without my permission and without even telling me.

I only knew because the television remote control was different and the drawer were i kept the remote, beneath the tv, was open.

They can override it clearly.
Most of the locks I have seen here use both a code and a RFID key. The key is programmed separately from the code.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »

Accurate.

Yeah but not with out the permission of the current tenant.  I always did apartment tours while the current teacher was with me.  I wouldn't want someone in my apartment without my knowledge because what if the prospect English teacher swipes something they liked from my place.  No way!  I, however, would be more than happy to give them a tour after work.  I've never had that happen to me when people were replacing me and I've never gone to a place unannounced either.   I currently work with people who have more common sense that what OP is talking about.   That would really rub me the wrong way.  They do it to them, they will do it to you when it's your time to leave. 

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »

Accurate.

Yeah but not with out the permission of the current tenant.  I always did apartment tours while the current teacher was with me.  I wouldn't want someone in my apartment without my knowledge because what if the prospect English teacher swipes something they liked from my place.  No way!  I, however, would be more than happy to give them a tour after work.  I've never had that happen to me when people were replacing me and I've never gone to a place unannounced either.   I currently work with people who have more common sense that what OP is talking about.   That would really rub me the wrong way.  They do it to them, they will do it to you when it's your time to leave.

Usually when you're moving out, your apartment's owner will let you know that the 부동산 person will be bringing people around to show them the place. This isn't really optional, but you will be informed, and they'll always call ahead of time before people are coming over to view it; however, it's not dependent on you being home or not.

It would be the same for housing provided by a school. They're not required to set up viewings around your schedule, nor are they expected to ask your permission. But they should absolutely give you advance notice before people are coming over.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »

Accurate.

Usually when you're moving out, your apartment's owner will let you know that the 부동산 person will be bringing people around to show them the place. This isn't really optional, but you will be informed, and they'll always call ahead of time before people are coming over to view it; however, it's not dependent on you being home or not.

It would be the same for housing provided by a school. They're not required to set up viewings around your schedule, nor are they expected to ask your permission. But they should absolutely give you advance notice before people are coming over.

Yeah I agree with this.  I guess I have just been lucky to always be around to show off my place when someone was needed to view it.

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
Yeah. It's a weird feeling knowing people are walking around checking out your house when you're not there. You never really get used to it.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 02:00:52 PM »
In England, after first year at university me and my mate were house hunting and through the estate agent we found a house really close to the university.  While we were waiting to go and see it, the agent called the tenant.  'Ok, let's go'.  So went into the house and when it came to one of the bedrooms, the door opened and there was a guy on the bed half-naked with a woman sat on the seat, not looking especially happy.  We poked our heads around and thought ok, but a bit dark for the afternoon.  We signed for it.  Then the week after I saw the lady sitting in the window with a red light on.......   :huh:

That bed was really squeaky.    >:(

:-[