April 21, 2018, 01:51:19 PM

Author Topic: Thesis Survey  (Read 338 times)

Online ChantelleW

• Waygookin
Thesis Survey
« on: April 14, 2018, 12:36:06 PM »
Hi all

I'm currently busy with data collection for my Masters' thesis in Inclusive and Special Needs Education and I could really use some help. If you're a teacher at a public school in Korea and you have time would you please consider completing the survey.

The aim of the survey is to identify the challenges teachers face with the implementation of inclusive education for students with special needs in mainstream classrooms. I would also like to determine the level of exposure to students with special needs, Guest English teachers are exposed to in South Korea. If this is something that you would like to participate in just follow the link and complete the survey.

Link: https://goo.gl/forms/YJwaF4hqsrLvEh8S2

Please know that your contribution are greatly appreciated!!!

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook
Re: Thesis Survey
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 06:37:21 PM »
Hi Chantelle,

Going online and collecting data from people you cannot be sure really are teachers will seriously undermine your findings. Also most of the foreign "teachers" in Korea are not qualified to teach and have little or limited experience.  I could point out other problems with online surveys but i'm really busy now.

You might want to think your approach through more.

Offline Datasapien

• Veteran
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
Done, best of luck!

As a Master's thesis that I'm sure is not going to be published in any research journals, I would say an online survey is an acceptable method of data collection. Of course there are drawbacks, as with any data collection method, but as long as these are discussed within the paper, I don't see a problem. And whether or not foreign "teachers" in Korea are qualified to teach or not is besides the point: she is collecting data from people who currently work in the Korean education system and their experiences dealing with special needs students. Their qualifications to teach (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the validity of their responses, and this lack of training / education for such situations may very well be a fact she is intending to highlight with this survey.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Online ChantelleW

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:40:07 PM »
Thank you Datasapien for you help. You are absolutely correct in your response that I'm collecting data from people who have been or are currently working in the Korean educational system not people who are necessarily qualified teachers.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
Done.
Sorry about the wordy answers: I've taught special needs classes before so I probably have more to say than you want to hear.  :laugh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
And whether or not foreign "teachers" in Korea are qualified to teach or not is besides the point: she is collecting data from people who currently work in the Korean education system and their experiences dealing with special needs students. Their qualifications to teach (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the validity of their responses, and this lack of training / education for such situations may very well be a fact she is intending to highlight with this survey.

Right, also we have no say in having the special education students in our class or not.  Some of us are also curious enough and diligent enough to make classes as inclusive as possible for special education students when they do join.  It is also good experience for us and to help students feel included is important.  I tried to keep my answers fairly short although I had a lot I wanted to say.   

Online ChantelleW

• Waygookin
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 05:00:50 AM »
Thank you all so much for your help I appreciate it.