July 16, 2018, 04:44:27 PM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: Avoiding Customs fees  (Read 654 times)

Offline obwannabe

• Adventurer
Avoiding Customs fees
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »
I've ordered a package and the value in USD is roughly $500. I assume I'll have to pay some sort of duty/customs fee once it arrives in Korea.

Years back i used to order clothing from an American site and regardless of the purchase price, they would claim its value as lower to avoid a customs fee that would be paid by me. I'm hoping the company that is sending my most recent purchase will do the same if i ask.

Anyone know what the max value is before incurring a duty fee?

Thanks

Online slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Avoiding Customs fees
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:58:20 PM »
If the item is recognized as being for personal use, then the max it can be is valued as US $150, according to the customs website.

But, btw, having them declare a value that isn't what you paid is illegal; it's fraudulent. If they look at it and think it's significantly different from your declaration, there's a good chance they do a value re-evaluation themselves and could even give it a value higher than you paid. And at that point, you can't really tell them "Hey, I only paid $500 for it".

There's also the issue that if the item were lost by your shipper, the shipping company will only reimburse you the value that's it's insured as. You pay $500, declare it as $100 to avoid customs, and DHL or whoever loses it, giving you back $100.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
They also look at a 3 day time span to prevent spreading out an order over several shipments.

Offline belo horizonte

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:45:14 AM »
You might want to use this site, www.ohmyzip.com, they send things from the US to Korea and the postage is very reasonable. I've used it for ebay purchases. You fill out the customs declaration yourself, so you can be a bit creative.

Online leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 03:12:07 PM »
 I find that whenever I've had to pay custom fees it's never been that exorbitant.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 08:10:36 AM »
Over the years, I've found very few consistencies regarding what clears customs without any fees and what doesn't.

I've ordered a $4000 guitar which, thank God, got through customs without any fees.
I've ordered a few other relatively mundane items and had to pay fees.

It's true that $150 is the cutoff point and I've never paid duties on anything bellow that value, but there's no way
of knowing if you'll pay duties.

The only items which have an extremely high probability of catching the customs officer's eye and ultimately paying duties
on are luxury goods such as watches, perfume, jewelry and handbags.

Online slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 08:34:54 AM »
And it doesn't matter if it's marked as a gift. We had to pay duty fees on wedding presents from my folks.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »
Iíd like to add that Amazon collects duties as part of the shipping fee, and they return it if they donít get charged (or get charged less than estimated).

Offline kapusta

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »

I've ordered a $4000 guitar which, thank God, got through customs without any fees.

Did you declare its value and pay for insurance?