July 19, 2018, 04:29:10 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: EPIK Contract Changes - August Intake 2018  (Read 1635 times)

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
EPIK Contract Changes - August Intake 2018
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:51:39 PM »
Thought I'd start a topic around contract changes for the upcoming renewal period for August intake teachers. I just got the new contract yesterday, and although I haven't read through it completely yet, my handler pointed me to a change in the "Article 14 (Paid Leave)" section. I will directly copy the Korean and English text here, but basically we are no longer allotted a set 10 days in the winter and 8 days in the summer. Now it's simply 18 days total vacation time to be used during any period that does not interfere with the school schedule.

제14조 (유급휴가) 1 - 고용자는 피고용자에게 제5조에 규정한 고용기간동안 18 근무일의 유급휴가를 주되, 원활한 업무진행을 위해 고용자는 피고용자와 협의하여 휴가시기를 조정할 수 있다.

Now for the English version

Article 14 (Paid Leave) 1 - The Employee shall be entitled to a vacation period of a total of eighteen (18) working days during the Term of the Employment set forth under Article 5 hereof. If any requested vacation period interferes with the smooth operation of the programming of the school or institute, the Employer and the Employee shall negotiate an alternate vacation date(s) so that the requested vacation period does not interfere with the school schedule.

I'm not sure if this change was already implemented during the February intake, as I don't recall seeing anything about it. Of course I could have just missed it, so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread. Also I'm just going by what was different between my contract from last year to this year. I'm located in Gyeongsangbuk-do (경상북도).
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
Re: EPIK Contract Changes - August Intake 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:05:20 PM »
I think a change like this good but I suppose it could have a bad knock-on effect.  In Chungnam, for as long as i can remember, the coordinator has always said they don't really care about how you take your eighteen days holiday as long as it is entered properly on the system.  If you have renewal vacation, make sure they are clearly defined separately. 

The bad bit for this could be that your school could make you do camps that mean you get no summer holiday (interfering with smooth running) and that you can take it all in the winter, which some teachers seem to prefer.  But having a clearly defined 8/10 split meant you could finger point if your school was being tight in the summer.  But as always it comes down to your school/principal/vp and handler and how they interpret it. 

But more good than bad I suppose. 

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
Or the schools could really chop it up if they wanted to. A few days here and and few days there as long as you get your 18 days.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
Or you just say I'm taking my vacation on x date and not be a wet lettuce. You're the English teacher. Camp revolves around you not the other way around.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:50:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm at a high school and we already have a super short vacation period during the summer. It's basically unavoidable- I couldn't take the eight days anyway. It makes me sad but I'll survive.

Wish I could peace-out of the Daegu humidity, but at least I can climate-control my classroom. So I'm not gonna complain.
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 02:47:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm at a high school and we already have a super short vacation period during the summer. It's basically unavoidable- I couldn't take the eight days anyway. It makes me sad but I'll survive.

Wish I could peace-out of the Daegu humidity, but at least I can climate-control my classroom. So I'm not gonna complain.

You get the 8 days. The camp can be on the remaining days. **** me. What's wrong with you people?

Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline dippedinblush

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 03:09:04 PM »
Or you just say I'm taking my vacation on x date and not be a wet lettuce. You're the English teacher. Camp revolves around you not the other way around.

^^^^^^^^^^This, this, this! 

Offline payetme

• Newgookin
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »
At our resigning orientation in Feb 2018, the MOE (Busan) told us that the vacation days are split equally, so we can take 9 days in Summer and 9 in Winter. You are, however, allowed to keep some summer vacation days for winter, but you're not allowed to use more than 9 in summer.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
At our resigning orientation in Feb 2018, the MOE (Busan) told us that the vacation days are split equally, so we can take 9 days in Summer and 9 in Winter. You are, however, allowed to keep some summer vacation days for winter, but you're not allowed to use more than 9 in summer.

:cry:

Must the resist urge to post something sarcastic.

Re-sign.  :blank:

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
Extended winter vacation is great if you are going home to visit the southern hemisphere.  Extended summer vacation is great if you are going home to visit the northern or central USA and Canada.  Take your vacation when the weather is nice back home.  If you are staying in Korea that year, be flexible.  This has been my policy.  I don't go home often, but when I do, I put my foot down.  Now, I can pull many days to summer if I need to do so.  Great.  I'll do more camps in the winter if I do that.  Everyone is happy. 

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »

You get the 8 days. The camp can be on the remaining days. **** me. What's wrong with you people?

Okay, no need to be rude. There's nothing wrong with me, promise.  :wink:

Article 14, Section 1 of the EPIK contract:

"If the requested vacation period interferes with the smooth operation of the programming of the school or institute, the Employer and the Employee shall negotiate alternate vacation date(s)."

In my case (this is not the case for everyone- I am at a foreign language high school, so our program is VASTLY different than most high schools), taking 8 days over the summer would- without question- interfere with the "smooth operation" of my school's program. Many of our students travel abroad during the break, too (on a school trip, not with their families). The NETs must be here to teach the students who can't afford to travel.

Most schools can afford to be more flexible (and I've heard stories about schools who honestly screw their NETs over by planning camps at the WORST possible times), and employees at those schools should definitely push for their eight days. But, there are cases where flexibility is quite literally impossible. We only have two weeks of "vacation" anyway- one week of camp, one week to leave.
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Offline CliffK

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »
Interesting about the 18 days. For most I would imagine this would be OK, possibly even better for some who want to visit home and where 9 days just isn't quite enough time with 20 hours of travel on each end. Push the days together to make 18 and you've got a proper trip.

However, I could also see some schools being very sneaky about this. The students are having exams today? Great, then take one of your vacation days. The students are going on a field trip on Tuesday and Wednesday? Great, take two of your vacation days.

Suddenly now your vacation has been whittled away and that trip home or to a foreign country is no longer possible.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »
However, I could also see some schools being very sneaky about this. The students are having exams today? Great, then take one of your vacation days. The students are going on a field trip on Tuesday and Wednesday? Great, take two of your vacation days.

Suddenly now your vacation has been whittled away and that trip home or to a foreign country is no longer possible.

Your schools can't force you to take holiday like that.  If there is a field trip, then there is someone in school so you can come to school too.  I know it's kind of crap, but you get used to it.  There were no students in school last Friday, and hardly anybody came to school, but I want to take my holiday in the summer and winter so declined taking the day off.

What you should remember is that on NEIS you can take 7 hours and 59 minutes of 'time off' before it counts as a whole day.  Lunchtime on NEIS is from 12-1 and is not counted as time.  So you can technically take off two afternoons during the year and it wouldn't count as a 'paid leave' day. 

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »

Your schools can't force you to take holiday like that.  If there is a field trip, then there is someone in school so you can come to school too.  I know it's kind of crap, but you get used to it.  There were no students in school last Friday, and hardly anybody came to school, but I want to take my holiday in the summer and winter so declined taking the day off.

What you should remember is that on NEIS you can take 7 hours and 59 minutes of 'time off' before it counts as a whole day.  Lunchtime on NEIS is from 12-1 and is not counted as time.  So you can technically take off two afternoons during the year and it wouldn't count as a 'paid leave' day.

When I was in the country, the schools would just tell me to stay home and not make me sign the attendance sheet.  They were cool.  In the city, I have to go in.  But, some schools let me go with them for the day on the bus, if it's a day trip.  But usually, the grade ones and twos are field tripping for 2 or 3 days and on slightly different schedules in most past middle schools I worked at.  So, I always had some classes.  It was nice to have less classes, though some days I had none.  So, I could go for a walk or do whatever as no one was looking for me. 

However, if you're in a boring area and nothing to see or a tiny school where no one is there except the janitor, it could be a long boring day.   Thankfully, some schools would send me home early on exam days even if I had to go in.  (Though if you have a grot coteacher, she'll tell you to sit there all day while she goes home early.  I have had friends say it has happened to them.  Awfully prick if you ask me.  I do hear of it more and more.  Anyways, most schools I was at in the city through the school year we treated each other as equals (even vacation was a bit different but many principals would say to go home 1 pm or something.  Some said stay till 4:30).  If they got to leave, we got to leave.  If they had to go in, we had to go in. 

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »
Contract actually has some ridiculously strict things written into it.  If they actually started enforcing them all, you'd no doubt see a lot of teachers move on. 

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »

When I was in the country, the schools would just tell me to stay home and not make me sign the attendance sheet.  They were cool.  In the city, I have to go in.  But, some schools let me go with them for the day on the bus, if it's a day trip.  But usually, the grade ones and twos are field tripping for 2 or 3 days and on slightly different schedules in most past middle schools I worked at.  So, I always had some classes.  It was nice to have less classes, though some days I had none.  So, I could go for a walk or do whatever as no one was looking for me. 

However, if you're in a boring area and nothing to see or a tiny school where no one is there except the janitor, it could be a long boring day.   Thankfully, some schools would send me home early on exam days even if I had to go in.  (Though if you have a grot coteacher, she'll tell you to sit there all day while she goes home early.  I have had friends say it has happened to them.  Awfully prick if you ask me.  I do hear of it more and more.  Anyways, most schools I was at in the city through the school year we treated each other as equals (even vacation was a bit different but many principals would say to go home 1 pm or something.  Some said stay till 4:30).  If they got to leave, we got to leave.  If they had to go in, we had to go in.

Generally speaking, this pretty much mirrors my experience as well. Of course the details are different, but the policies were similar at some places I've worked at. It simply boils down to a "your-mileage-may-vary" situation. Personally I really enjoy having to vacation periods. One in the winter, when I get to use my renewal bonus vacation and visit home, and one in the summer where I do my own thing. Though this change could help next summer when my family wants to take a big trip. I could use less days visiting home in the winter and more for our big summer trip.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."